Thread: Big Daddy Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Big Daddy Question

Well I have been straight shaving for about 2 years. For that time I only used one razor a Wester Bros "Manganese" Steel, and one strop a poormans strop. I made a canvas strop from a old pair of my work pants. I can keep a good edge for months with this set up.
    I decided recently to upgrade my strop. So I bought a Big Daddy from Starshaving. I got the English Bridal leather.
    And I admit the leather part is terrific. However I must be doing something wrong with the wool felt piece. Every time I use it I end up with a dull razor.
    I strop on it the same way I do on my home made canvas strop. Should I be doing something differently, or is the felt just no good?

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only thing I found that felt to be good for was diamond spray. I didn't like it used by itself.
    Rick

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine is just a decoration on the back of an otherwise good strop.
    -Chris
    Forgive my spelling, most posts are made from my phone.

paco664 is offline I shave my underarms: no BO but now my pits smell like Tabac ... um ... call it a draw?
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont use the felt.....

the leather tho is excellent on both of mine...
    a nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

the fact i'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Felt as I was suggested... warms up the blade a tad...leather re aligns the edge... I have honestly not seen scientific proof..linen side came with my strop..so I use it anyways...:-)

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Mama version - use felt with 0.25 diamond spray for about 15X after honing on stones or film.
    Chuck R.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses. I think I will just keep using my home made canvas for pre leather. Maybe I will try some diamond spray on the felt. It's just I have never used any synthetic, not a synthetic stone, films or paste, powder, spray. I heard they give a harsh edge.
    Since I started honing my own razors I have used a coti. Some times I will finish on a Trans Ark.

I just got my Big Daddy about a week ago and the felt side seems nice. I have been doing 20 on the felt and then 40 on the leather before every shave. It seems to be working well for me. It is my first strop with a fabric side so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but the felt definitely doesn't hurt my edge any.
    J.C. member of the BOTOC

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I don't use the felt. Ron sells replacement leather, and I am thinking about replacing the felt with a second leather.
    "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man." (Jebediah Springfield)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I use the felt after shaving. I figure it will dry up any miniscule amounts of water left on the blade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is every BD with felt nowadays? I am waiting to receive mine. Already waiting for shipping acceptance since 22 Oct :S
    Who's Stan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the difference between the bd black Latigo and the big mama chestnut English bridle and the bd bd chestnut the ovb etc?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Is every BD with felt nowadays? I am waiting to receive mine. Already waiting for shipping acceptance since 22 Oct :S
    Yeah but I bet you could ask Ron to make you one up with no felt, or with two leathers instead of one leather and one felt. Or just toss the felt. Or order an extra leather and swap it out for the felt. The hardware is removable so you have a lot of flexibility.
    "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man." (Jebediah Springfield)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for not updating. I received the strop. Has felt. I must say....I agree with Rocky81. When I used lapping film on my razor, it gets a HHT3 for sure. Using the felt first, dulls the razor. Still figuring out the correct way, as I also agree that it hasn't been put on it to dull your razor.
    Who's Stan?

I use 10 strokes on the felt before Stropping on the leather to clean and warm the blade. I do not find any edge degradation from using felt.