What's new

"Retro" Shavemac

Afternoon all,

After a bit of searching I was able to source this brush Shavemac had sold back in 08-09 as a part of their "Retro" line. They were a sort of tribute to the 50's style brush designs. I wasn't sure what to expect when I received it, because the badger hair used in brushes has changed over time, but let me tell you I am so VERY PLEASANTLY surprised.

The brush is the Shavemac 585. As stated it was sold in 08-09 best I can tell. Some of the sales coming from the 2008 Holiday Group Buy over on StraightRazorPlace.com. According to the good old internet time machine, they were supposed to have handmade knots made of 3-band Silver Tip measuring 20mm with a 55mm loft. That seemed a little small to me and I typically like a bigger brush. The handle is an imitation horn with acrylic base.

Luckily, the brush I received is in fact bigger than what they advertised way back when. My brush measures 22.5mm with a 53.5mm loft. Which is actually quite nice. The hair is in excellent condition and is without a doubt the SOFTEST Shavemac hair I have ever felt. It's truly a treasure and having just received a genuine horn brush in their current 3 band Silvertip, can tell you there is in fact a difference.

The pictures I'm posting are a little rough. I have not cleaned the brush at all and just snapped them in poor lighting with my phone.

Does anyone else have any of these "retro" Shavemac brushes lying around in their collections? If not, I would suggest finding one. They are quite nice!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom