What's new

Sayings/words/phrases that get on your nerves (irritate you)

Americans please learn how to pronounce Worcester, Cheltenham, Leicester, Bala Cynwd, Chalmondley and a host of other British names.
All non Scots please learn how to pronounce Menzies, Edinburgh, Loch, Auchtermuchty and many more.

Wooster?
Chell-ten-ham?
Lester?
Ball-a-chin-wad?
Almond Joy?
Men-zees?
Ed-in-borough?
<throat-clearing sound>?
<sneezing sound>?

:001_huh:

Eat your veggies. Is it really that hard to say 'vegetables'?
Literally...
Irregardless. It's just 'regardless'.
Larynx pronounced as 'lar-next.'
Mental telepathy. What other kind of telepathy is there?

It also drives me crazy when TV or movie shows that are set pre-1960's use words like 'uptight'. MASH does that many times.

Last edited:
I always get annoyed with memos that include the word "must" and the author feels the need to capitalize, bold, underline, and enlarge that one particular word. I've seen this happen a lot.

Employees ***MUST*** submit leave requests at least two weeks in advance.

"My old lady."

700 WLW out of Cincinnati has some afternoon radio hosts that can riff off a certain class and type of Ohioans who refer to their wives as "My old lady" for several minutes to hilarious effect.

Last edited:
"My baby's momma." (Said as "My baby momma.")

What will be the chief phrase chiseled into the tombstone of Western Civilization.

"Buck *** naked."

Why not just say naked?

Referring to facial hair as "whiskers".

Bizzare English spellings such as "humour" and "labour", which I can only accredit to an unfortunate proximity to France. And "theatre", which in any sane world would be pronounced "thee-ah-tray".

Last edited:
Wooster?
Chell-ten-ham?
Lester?
Ball-a-chin-wad?
Almond Joy?
Men-zees?
Ed-in-borough?
<throat-clearing sound>?
<sneezing sound>?

:001_huh:

Not too bad!
More Wouster (longer than uh, shorter than oo)
Cheltenum, or Chelt'n'um or Cheltnm.
Lester is good.
Bala Kinwid is what they say here, should be more like KuhnOO-id
Chumley
Ming-eez
Edinborough is close enough. Embra if you're a lazy Weegie.
Lo-throatclearingsound
Aw-throatclearingsound-termu-throatclearingsound-tee

I'm going to be afraid to post soon. Pretty much every saying and phrase annoys someone.

But I guess, it is what it is and life goes on, so lesson learned.

I lived in Cheltenham (known there as 'Nam or Chelters!) for quite a while and have recently moved to nearby Gloucester (Gloster!)

I had a work colleague in Chelters who married a Frenchman from Lyon. She told me that her aged mother in law insisted it was pronounced Sheltenheim...

Gareth

ps, try a few place names from my part of the UK, Wales, names like Llantrisant, Cwmbran, Ystradgynlais or Machynlleth. Nice easy ones there!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I lived in Cheltenham (known there as 'Nam or Chelters!) for quite a while and have recently moved to nearby Gloucester (Gloster!)

I had a work colleague in Chelters who married a Frenchman from Lyon. She told me that her aged mother in law insisted it was pronounced Sheltenheim...

Gareth

ps, try a few place names from my part of the UK, Wales, names like Llantrisant, Cwmbran, Ystradgynlais or Machynlleth. Nice easy ones there!

I hope to see Wales one day. Part of my family tree comes from there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I am always optimistic about cappicola.

I'm copacetic about cappicola. Moderately enthusiastic about mortadella.

Actually I very much like both. Just like playing with words.

The use of acronyms bothers me. Much of the time folk use acronyms to show they are a part of the "in crowd" and share the secret code. I don't think this helps anybody IMHO.

The use of acronyms bothers me. Much of the time folk use acronyms to show they are a part of the "in crowd" and share the secret code. I don't think this helps anybody IMHO.
I don't like it when acronyms are pronounced as whole words, instead of being spelled out.

IRA - Individual Retirement Account - should not be sounded out like a man's name.
LEO - Law Enforcement Officer - should not sound like a sign in the zodiac.
UPS - United Parcel Service - shouldn't sound like the opposite of "downs."

The only exception to this are acronyms that have become legitimate words on their own, like "RADAR," "LASER," or "AIDS."

1.Close proximity-proximity is by definition close.

2.Utilize-when what they mean is use, (ex. If you hang an article of clothing on a hanger you're using it, because that is its intended purpose. If you unclog a toilet with a hanger you're utilizing it because you are getting utility from it.)

3. Analyze-used to mean any kind of thought, analylitics is to apply a skill set of some description.

4. " know what I'm say'n"-cause it is used when someone hasn't given you enough information to possibly know what they are say'n.

Top Bottom