What's new

Minimum time between shaves

Is there a MINIMUM time between shaves ?

It seems I get a better shave if I wait at least 24-36 hours. I tried to touch up after only 12 hours and could not get the same shave as when I wait 24 hours.

Is there a reason for this ?

What do you other guys do ?

:confused1

I get better, less irritating shaves if I shave every other day. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. Some things will never change...

I am not a dermatologist, nor do I play one on TV, but I would hazard a guess that after 12 hours, your skin hasn't completely recovered from a serious exfoliation. Since the process of exfoliation involves removing dead skin cells, one could infer that if the skin hasn't had sufficient time to replenish those cells, that a premature shave would remove cells from a lower layer, thus causing irritation.

As for the shave simply not being as close, I might venture another guess that there is simply less surface area on the hair to absorb moisture, which is the basic goal of any prep routine. If this is the case, then one might assume that the whisker is still quite a bit tougher than one would want it to be for an optimal shave.

So, unrecovered skin and less well-prepped whiskers.

That's my guess...

-Michael

Every other day works well for me when I'm just doing the normal thing. However if i go for BBS sometimes i run into some problems and it may take a 3 or 4 day recovery period.

I am not a dermatologist, nor do I play one on TV, but I would hazard a guess that after 12 hours, your skin hasn't completely recovered from a serious exfoliation. Since the process of exfoliation involves removing dead skin cells, one could infer that if the skin hasn't had sufficient time to replenish those cells, that a premature shave would remove cells from a lower layer, thus causing irritation.

As for the shave simply not being as close, I might venture another guess that there is simply less surface area on the hair to absorb moisture, which is the basic goal of any prep routine. If this is the case, then one might assume that the whisker is still quite a bit tougher than one would want it to be for an optimal shave.

So, unrecovered skin and less well-prepped whiskers.

That's my guess...

-Michael

Funny, I've been pondering this question too and I think you've hit the nail on squarely on the head.

Like the others on this thread I find after a bbs if if I shave again within 24 hours although the shave seems decent at the time, the stubble is back very quickly within 3 to 4 hours, but shaving every other day and it lasts me much longer, at least 8 hours. This confirms that I have sensitive skin.

24 hours ias minimum for me. 48 is actually ideal, but I can do BBS and then come back 24 hours later and get a decent shave. I'm always amazed at those on the board that can shave twice a day.

I am not a dermatologist, nor do I play one on TV, but I would hazard a guess that after 12 hours, your skin hasn't completely recovered from a serious exfoliation.

..............Although it does sound like you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!:tongue:

+1 on your assesment.

Top Bottom