What's new

Another Cadet TTO-15 Review

Well, like many others here I could not resist a modern TTO. So I ordered a Cadet TTO-15 from Shaveabuck. It arrived today and cost just under $28 shipped. Packaging is very simple, which is good in my book. Put the money into the product, not the box.

The razor looks great out of the box. Very nice finish up to the head. The head is slightly less nice compared to the handle, but is not terrible and is perfect in operation. The finish on the head of my unit was a bit rough in spots and the end caps had some indentations. Also, the doors didn't line up perfectly on one side, but by the tiniest of margins and certainly not enough to effect operation.

The handle is superb. Large and very well knurled without being prickly. Very secure grip on this tool. Beautiful plating too. I am not a huge fan of large handles, but on this razor the handle is sized perfectly. While shaving I found myself gripping the razor almost halfway down the handle, which is not usual for me, but it felt the perfect way to handle this thing and it worked just great as far as balance and weight.

Aggressiveness is great for me. A bit more aggressive than the Red Tip by my estimation (I no longer have a Red Tip, so can't do a side by side), which is excellent. Not too aggressive, but aggressive enough. Very effective. Very loud, too. The sound this razor makes is in the same character as the Red Tip. Buzzy and loud. Great feedback, but I think after listening to Merkur Progress not too many razor can compare. Still, Cadet has great audio feedback.

The shave was excellent with a Personna Super (Med) on second shave. Lathered up with 3P soap (classic Italian style soap) and Ever-Ready 100T with an Omega boar knot. Very smooth and effortless shave. Excellent razor for the price. I would say not a bginner razor because of the aggressiveness, but certainly something to go past the EJ DE89 and Merkur 34C in terms of aggressiveness. I saw what looks like an identical razor sold on Italianbarber.com as RazorRock TTO and it costs $20 there, which, if the same thing, is even more of a deal. So if anyone out there trying to score a Red Tip, but not willing to pay the price for scarcity, this is an excellent option. It's new, it's good quality and shaves a little better than the Red Tip (more aggressive).

Here are some pictures.

$IMG_3935.JPG

$IMG_3936.JPG

$IMG_3937.JPG

Last edited:
I saw what looks like an identical razor sold on Italianbarber.com as RazorRock TTO and it costs $20 there, which, if the same thing, is even more of a deal.

It's actually cheaper via Shave A Buck. I noticed today, that Shave A Buck is now offering the entire Cadet line (which offers far more choices than that of Italian Barber) with free shipping.

The razor at Italian Barber is $19.99. I added it to my cart, and shipping to the US was $6.95 for a total of $26.94. $2.95 higher than Shave a Buck, and you would also have to wait about a week in shipping time from Canada to the US. :blink:

Nice.

I didn't get a chance to read your review though.

Looks good.

In general, I have a hard time following posts that are that long and have no spaces or paragraphs.

I really need to figure out a good way to digest posts like that because I'm honestly interested in the review.

I love the pictures!!

I really need to figure out a good way to digest posts like that because I'm honestly interested in the review.

I love the pictures!!

Here you go:

Well, like many others here I could not resist a modern TTO.

So I ordered a Cadet TTO-15 from Shaveabuck.

It arrived today and cost just under $28 shipped. Packaging is very simple, which is good in my book. Put the money into the product, not the box. The razor looks great out of the box. Very nice finish up to the head. The head is slightly less nice compared to the handle, but is not terrible and is perfect in operation.

The finish on the head of my unit was a bit rough in spots and the end caps had some indentations. Also, the doors didn't line up perfectly on one side, but by the tiniest of margins and certainly not enough to effect operation. The handle is superb. Large and very well knurled without being prickly. Very secure grip on this tool.

Beautiful plating too. I am not a huge fan of large handles, but on this razor the handle is sized perfectly.

While shaving I found myself gripping the razor almost halfway down the handle, which is not usual for me, but it felt the perfect way to handle this thing and it worked just great as far as balance and weight. Aggressiveness is great for me. A bit more aggressive than the Red Tip by my estimation (I no longer have a Red Tip, so can't do a side by side), which is excellent. Not too aggressive, but aggressive enough.

Very effective. Very loud, too. The sound this razor makes is in the same character as the Red Tip. Buzzy and loud. Great feedback, but I think after listening to Merkur Progress not too many razor can compare. Still, Cadet has great audio feedback.

The shave was excellent with a Personna Super (Med) on second shave. Lathered up with 3P soap (classic Italian style soap) and Ever-Ready 100T with an Omega boar knot. Very smooth and effortless shave.

Excellent razor for the price. I would say not a beginner razor because of the aggressiveness, but certainly something to go past the EJ DE89 and Merkur 34C in terms of aggressiveness.

I saw what looks like an identical razor sold on Italianbarber.com as RazorRock TTO and it costs $20 there, which, if the same thing, is even more of a deal. So if anyone out there trying to score a Red Tip, but not willing to pay the price for scarcity, this is an excellent option. It's new, it's good quality and shaves a little better than the Red Tip (more aggressive).

Ah man. Excellent!!

Great review. I like my red tip, but sometimes wish I had something a touch more aggressive.

Thanks for the review, and thanks for the formatting assist!!

My eyes are not all googly woogly now.

I have the same issue all over the internet. I wasn't trying to pick it apart.

- Does the TTO open from the top or from the bottom of the handle?

Ah man. Excellent!!

Great review. I like my red tip, but sometimes wish I had something a touch more aggressive.

Thanks for the review, and thanks for the formatting assist!!

My eyes are not all googly woogly now.

I have the same issue all over the internet. I wasn't trying to pick it apart.

- Does the TTO open from the top or from the bottom of the handle?

Top of the handle.

Nice.

Looks good.

In general, I have a hard time following posts that are that long and have no spaces or paragraphs.

I love the pictures!!

I created a few paragraphs for you, but spaces were there. Enjoy.

vferdman,

I have the same razor and I had the exact experience with this purchase.

Yes, a great inexpensive medium-aggressive TTO. Minor flaws that do not effect operation. Still not as good as Merkur Progress in my book. I just am not crazy about the sound these and Super Speeds make. Shaves great, though. All brass construction, too. Should be a popular razor.

How are the Cadet three piece razors? I've heard good things about the OC ones, but how is the safety bar version? Supposed to be chrome over brass handle and chrome over zinc alloy (zamac?) head. Is it a bit more aggressive than EJ DE89? That would be lovely. Cadet/RazorRock looks like an excellent line of razors.

Well, I plan on eventually getting the Cadet fixed head and the OC. I'd also like to know the comparisons. I think with the OC it is more unique to make it harder to compare.

Nice.

Looks good.

I love the pictures!!
Can this help :001_tt2::001_tt2:
Well, like many others here I could not resist a modern TTO. So I ordered a Cadet TTO-15 from Shaveabuck. It arrived today and cost just under $28 shipped. Packaging is very simple, which is good in my book. Put the money into the product, not the box.
The razor looks great out of the box. Very nice finish up to the head. The head is slightly less nice compared to the handle, but is not terrible and is perfect in operation. The finish on the head of my unit was a bit rough in spots and the end caps had some indentations. Also, the doors didn't line up perfectly on one side, but by the tiniest of margins and certainly not enough to effect operation.
The handle is superb. Large and very well knurled without being prickly. Very secure grip on this tool. Beautiful plating too. I am not a huge fan of large handles, but on this razor the handle is sized perfectly. While shaving I found myself gripping the razor almost halfway down the handle, which is not usual for me, but it felt the perfect way to handle this thing and it worked just great as far as balance and weight.
Aggressiveness is great for me. A bit more aggressive than the Red Tip by my estimation (I no longer have a Red Tip, so can't do a side by side), which is excellent. Not too aggressive, but aggressive enough. Very effective. Very loud, too. The sound this razor makes is in the same character as the Red Tip. Buzzy and loud. Great feedback, but I think after listening to Merkur Progress not too many razor can compare. Still, Cadet has great audio feedback.
The shave was excellent with a Personna Super (Med) on second shave. Lathered up with 3P soap (classic Italian style soap) and Ever-Ready 100T with an Omega boar knot. Very smooth and effortless shave. Excellent razor for the price. I would say not a bginner razor because of the aggressiveness, but certainly something to go past the EJ DE89 and Merkur 34C in terms of aggressiveness. I saw what looks like an identical razor sold on Italianbarber.com as RazorRock TTO and it costs $20 there, which, if the same thing, is even more of a deal. So if anyone out there trying to score a Red Tip, but not willing to pay the price for scarcity, this is an excellent option. It's new, it's good quality and shaves a little better than the Red Tip (more aggressive).

I don't think I'm dyslexic per-se, but I read the forum mostly from my Nexus 7 tablet.

I'm nearsighted. Therefore I use a pretty large font by default in my browser. So when I try to follow an article, anywhere on the internet, my eyes go wonky. Especially when I start scrolling. Sometimes I skip a line or track back to the beginning of the same sentence from the end of one line to another.

So, like I said,

I'm not criticizing the individuals who post that way personally.
I'm just saying I have a hard time reading stuff when it's not broken into paragraphs. Since I was sincerely interested in reading the review, I made mention of it.

I've looked into Lasik and other options to correct my vision. I just don't see the reward as outweighing the risks.

The last time I had an eye exam I hit -4.7 in one eye and -4.5 in the other with an astigmatism.
I'm not blind, but I wouldn't drive my car without my glasses on.

Mainly my problem is most frustrating when using my tablet with the large font set and when I begin scrolling.

Next time I'll just try and scroll real slow and keep my comments unrelated to the main topic to myself. I'm sure I'm not the only one with poor eyesight. Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't figured out a good way to cope with it. I'll just wait until I can get onto my laptop to read stuff that makes my eyes cross.

Anyway, I am thinking about picking up one of these new TTO razors. I have a Parker TTO that isn't one of my favorite shavers. I would like to find an economical modern razor that I can offer as a gift to friends and family for Christmas. I want to try one first though. Actually buying and test driving all the newer razors would be a pretty big investment of time and money.

Thanks again for the review!
:online2long:

Can this help :001_tt2::001_tt2:

Nah, this is better. :wink:

Getting better.

Always nice to see so many engaging brothers willing to jump in and assist with accommodations to assist those less fortunate.

Very generous and gentlemanly!

:thumbsup:

You guys stay classy!

I have a close comb on the way. I have the OC already which has quickly taken over dibs on my UFO Godzilla handle.

Top Bottom