What's new

Discouraged. Normal?

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I'll just slow down and realize that I'm not under any pressure to get it within the first week or so. I also think that'll definitely put the fun back into it.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I think I'll just slow down and realize that I'm not under any pressure to get it within the first week or so. I also think that'll definitely put the fun back into it.

I totally get the discouraged bit. I tend to bite off more than I can chew. I quit for a week and then proceeded to start back in phases. It was just cheeks, then cheeks and upper lip, then added the neck, etc. Ease into it and things will come together. I'm no expert but it helped me to progress more efficiently.

I think I'll just slow down and realize that I'm not under any pressure to get it within the first week or so.

I think that you have just found the key to it. :001_cool:

I have been learning for 6 months and still struggle some days. When I struggle rather than get frustrated I just put the straight down and finish off with a cartridge razor. ( I have never used a DE).

Just enjoy the journey, on the good days and bad.

First of all, five shaves is nothing, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Five shaves is really nothing. You haven't gotten the feel for it at all. It's very hard to say what you need to change, because it's something that comes with practice and developing a certain feel for it.

My advice, as someone who has been straight razor shaving for almost two years now:

Take it easy. Don't worry about not getting a smooth shave. Worry more about getting a safe shave. Smoothness and speed will come later. Don't give up, just hold in your mind that you will need to accept where you're at now, and know that it will get better. It took me 100 shaves (three months) to get to a level of being a beginner. The real improvement starts after that.

Top Bottom