What's new

Gillette 1904 DR...

Just thought I would share this with this forum. Below you see pictured a 1904 DR that I got in a trade with Brad (BD1970) a while back. I was hoping he still had a picture of what it originally looked like because it has undergone quite a metamorphosis since I took possession of it. Suffice it to say it was in a woeful state-plate wear, plate loss, bent corner teeth (all of them). About the only thing good that could be said about it was that it was indeed a 1904 DR.
Well I took it into an established jeweller in Memphis TN and asked what could be done in the way of repairs as I wished to keep and use this razor. That got a bit of a stare from the owner!
In trying to straighten the teeth one of them popped off and they were unable to reattach it despite trying several times. They sent it out to an expert silversmith for replating and you see the results below.
Since getting it back I've used it several times and it's one of my favourites. In fact I used it earlier tonight with Proraso Red and Floid regular for one fine shave!
The 1904 is a grand shaver and this one is a keeper even if it is missing a tooth on one end.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The 1904 is a grand shaver and this one is a keeper even if it is missing a tooth on one end.

How careful do you need to be with the corner missing a tooth? I have a New Standard missing a corner tooth and I haven't used it because I thought it would gouge me.

Thanks,

jim

great looking restoration job....being an OLD style, do you put a shim between the blade and the guard, or just shave as-is?

How careful do you need to be with the corner missing a tooth? I have a New Standard missing a corner tooth and I haven't used it because I thought it would gouge me.

Thanks,

jim

A friend of mine cut himself shaving with an old type Gillette with a corner tooth missing. If you do shave with it pay attention to your angle of attack.

Typically when I'm shaving with it I keep the edge with all of its teeth against my face. I use no shim with the blade.

While I couldn't find pictures of it, I can attest that it was pretty beat up. Good work Mark.

Just think...in a hundred years the next generation of wetshavers will be debating the existance of a scarce 200 year old silver plated double ring that's better than new!!! :biggrin:

Ram actually I do use the other side now I'm just mindful of that corner! :smile:

Brad glad you like it. I suppose I will have to have it buried with me otherwise the situation you describe could happen! :smile:

It's a dandy shaver though. Very forgiving but not too mild. I've been using it almost every night for the past two weeks. The other razor of choice lately has been the fine Slim that Chris (MTgrayling) sold me awhile back.

Cheers all!

Top Bottom