surfers unite.

Always wanted a Velsy Pig in 9' 6"...

$pig.jpg

Attachments

• $Pig_Board.jpg
    $Pig_Board.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Well, I don't want to brag but... I also have a 10' Dewey Weber Performer! LOL! I started surfing in 1994, at the late age of 34, and had 18 years with which to amass my collection.
One can never have too many boards! Unfortunately, the rides on Long Island are too short and I never had a chance to walk out on the nose, let alone hang 5 or 10.
I weigh 205 Lbs. (93 kilos) and the good thing about riding a big board is that I float completely out of the water, which is great in the colder months. It paddles really fast and it's easy to catch waves but, you can't duck dive and I usually take a beating when turning turtle.
I ordered it in April of 2010 and it didn't arrive until the following September. Dewey Weber no longer make their own board and their glasser is back logged for months. I heard that Velsy takes a long time too. Unfortunately, I don't really have room for any more DE's or surfboards!

Last edited:
Dale Velzy died a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure whether boards are still being produced under his name. Over the last few years, he had a few highly skilled shapers, guys like Jim Phillips, making the boards. The DW Performer is a great board, too -- more of those made than any other design, from what I've read. A friend had one a very long time ago and I loved borrowing it. Plus it had that super cool fin!

I grew up on the southern tip of New Jersey, and surfing was incredibly popular even if the waves were mostly wind chop. Now that I live north of Dallas, beach trips are infrequent. When I visit home, I mostly grab a Boogie (I know, I know ...) because I can ride a ton of waves and when you're laying flat, every wave is head high! Best of all, no hassles from the lifeguards.

My surf quiver:

5'11" Scott Anderson Fish - Retro Twinnie epoxy
6'3" Cannibal Conduit bat tail - CoreVac technology
9'8" Takayama Model T - Poly

My kitesurf quiver:
2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m
2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 14m
6'0 Stretch shortboard
2011 143mm Liquid Force LFX
Mystic Warrior II harness

I'll take a pic soon. In the meantime, here's a pic of my local break, Jacksonville Beach, Fl. when it was GOING OFF during a hurricane. Roughly 8-10' faces that day...we get it like this only 1x per couple of years.

$Hurrican Bill.jpg

proxy.php

Gulf Coast of FL. Usually cold front chop in winter, but occasionally score some solid surf during cane season. This was a day after Isaac remnants meandered back into the Gulf a couple months ago. That's a 9'6" One World epoxy noserider by Juan Rodriguez. The Monday that Isaac scooted by was well overhead and chunky!

Last edited:
@my19 nothing wrong with a boogie thats where i started and sometimes still do if it to big for the longboard :D

ajax im envious now an old pal has a dewey 10 custom he brought a few years ago now and that's to easy to hang ten..

@bigbull kit surfing never thought about giving that a go could be fun as it is windy in the uk. plus what a clean wave do think i have ever seen that glassy be for

Dale Velzy died a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure whether boards are still being produced under his name.

Dale Velzy's wife is still taking orders for boards (by phone and website) under the Velzy name but, they are made by a third party. I actually spoke to her when I was trying to decide between a DW Performer and the Velzy Pig. These days, the original Velzy and Dewey Weber board shapes have been digitized and are cut by a shaping machine. Ms. Velzy and Shea Weber told me that the blanks get cut to shape fast but, the glassers take forever to finish the job.
The fin that comes with the Performer is called the DW Hatchet Fin and it put a nice slice in my foot last year! It's freekin' dangerous! I swapped out all my fins for Surt Tech fins with rubber edges.

Would love to try kite surfing but, it looks like it takes more gas than I have!

Last edited:
Yea I Hurd that with all the board makers pre shaped boards from China/ Japan because its cheaper and get more done .The get Glassed by hand. But if you don't mind waiting and import ect have a look at fluid juice. And I know fj hand make there boards as been to the board shop watching them being Made but they are Cornish boards..
Surf technology pffft I'm a FCS fan or turbo tunnel.
I would like to hear more about kit surfing.

Last edited:
Juan Rodriguez, the guy I bought my board from, started out making fins for Velzy! I believe my nineplus fin came from the UK.

Last edited:
Me, at 50, on my first day out with my DW Performer... before I had a chance to put any wax on. Some sweet 6 - 8 footers in the background at Lido West, Long Island, NY...

$Ajax DW2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stick!

As far as my board goes, that was after we took it out of the box that came from China, I'm afraid. It is his shape, but CNC'd in China, and glassed by hand. We were installing the stock fin there. Always exciting to get a new board though!

I wouldn't doubt that my Dewey Weber came from China too. DW blamed the glasser for the delayed delivery, when it was, more than likely, the fault of customs. Even though the 'made in China' stigma takes a bit away from the warm fuzzy, we still have well designed boards!
I always liked the emerald green water in Florida. The water on Long Island is usually a dark grayish, merkey green - I'm always getting sinus infections... probably why we haven't had a shark attack in over 100 years!

Last edited:
I wish the emerald green was typical. The Caloosahatchee River dumps fine sediment that gets churned up with our typical cold front wind swells. I expect sinus issues after every surf, too! We have a bit of red tide now, too. Hopefully it clears before the next swell.

I check the Lido cam when a tropical system is coming your way! When I return to NE I try to take a board with me. Last two trips I got back to Hampton and Narragansett. Just too cold in the winter to go back permanently.

Kiting is amazing! It looks more intimidating than it is...you'd be surprised. Our oldest kiter at my local spot is in his 60's. He isn't throwing huge air's, but he has a blast doing it. I enjoy wakestyle riding, but when the waves are clean there is nothing more fun that doing a downwinder (basically being pulled by the kite slightly) and free-surfing every wave in sight. No sitting, no waiting for the next set and the best excercise you've ever had. If you are in an area where it's accessible, do yourself and get an intro lesson to see if it's for you! It's never too late.

kiteing is big in the uk funny enough.. i guess im to lazy for that love longboarding and chilling.. its on the wish list for 2013 as im 29 then so its thing to do before im the big 30.. in town tomorrow will try and get my pics done:) if bank lets me after ebay haul :D

Last edited:
There is a kiting rental in Jamaica Bay, next to the very busy Belt Parkway that runs past JFK airport, through Queens and into Brooklyn. All the cars slow down to watch the pretty kites and cause some serious traffic jams. Maybe I'll give it a go!

Last edited:
Top Bottom