What's new

surfers unite.

Oregon coast. Gotta love the cold water 58oF. Saw one other guy out yesterday. Love surfing without crowds. Growing up in Southern California this is a welcomed change! Today we have knee to ankle conditions.

Got a few small ones with a July cold front (What?!) in SW FL Thursday after work. My son and I took the shortest boards we have: the new 5'6" Mayo Tug and a custom 5'10" fish my buddy shaped about 15 years ago. Both worked great in some thigh to waist little lines as the tide dropped out. As we wait for the tropical stuff, we'll take anything in summertime! The water has to be 90 now...

Last edited:
Early season cold front. This was the same front that knocked buildings down on its way across TX and the SE. Marine forecast totally undercalled it at 2 ft until Saturday when they bumped it up to 5-7 ft. First showed yesterday, but I waited until this morning. Clean waist to chest, wind just off of sideshore. Mid incoming to high tide. Air 70s and water 78. Trunks. Way overdue. Took the 5'6" Tug and had a blast for 4 hours!

Last edited:
Three day blow down here ends today (I know you got it worse up north!). In the water at 8am. 47 air temp, high 70s water temp, 3/s for the NNE winds at about 10 mph. Typical NW swell with the NNE winds mucking with it. Still plenty fun and happy to have weekend waves!

Kicking this to the top! Got to surf Thanksgiving (clean waist to chest at Sharky's Pier in Venice, FL) and Christmas (Captiva). My son caught a couple nice ones on Xmas, too.

Thread ressurection - hope the interest is still here! Recent swell here in SoCal - me at Leo Carrillo.

Attachments

• $SecosSectionUpload.jpg
    $SecosSectionUpload.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the revival! I'm not really into surfing (no real beaches in Louisiana), but I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who are!

Just got home from a camping trip to the central coast of Ca. First day was nice - head high+. Second day the wind was tearing it apart, so my gf & I went for a nice beach walk & just bummed around the campsite. Then yesterday at dawn the wind was manageable, so I paddled out.

The inside was about head high, the outside was double overhead and fun - till I got cleaned up by a rogue set that was much bigger and ended the session.

On the shaving side - brought my Micro Touch with a new Voskhod, a no-name brush and a vintage soap (somewhat smoky / spicy scent that blended with the overall campfire aroma I was sporting). Got more than a few looks while shaving my dome at the tailgate of the truck!

Had a few good sessions recently around the Ventura area. We had a BIG swell recently, but on the biggest day it was just out of control, so we just watched while the Ventura pier shed some lumber. The day after the pier fell a friend & I paddled out at a local point and got a few really nice 1.5 overhead waves with some + sets.

In a bit of news, my gf and I were offered a place a few yards from the sand in Oxnard. We're moving back to the beach in January!

:biggrin1:

Congrats on the move!

First surf in quite awhile yesterday. Work this last year has been the problem. Cold front moved through Friday afternoon and left some clean waist to chest north lines yesterday morning at low tide. Wore the 3/2 full with 50 degree air tempand NE winds at 15, but 70 degree water temp. Over 30 guys out in a mile and a half of beach break. The most I've seen here in awhile.

Glad I found this thread! I'm not a pro by any means, but I absolutely love the sport. I usually go down on North Padre Island for about one month out of the year. On days in July when the winds die down, I always have my SUP on-hand so I can get out on the water. Merry Christmas, and happy surfing!

My remaining board kept for nostalgia, now hanging from the ceiling.

Coletta 5-6, tri fin; glassed on fins (and reglassed for a couple); S-cloth

Surfed many many times at Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz in the 80s.

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the move!

First surf in quite awhile yesterday. Work this last year has been the problem. Cold front moved through Friday afternoon and left some clean waist to chest north lines yesterday morning at low tide. Wore the 3/2 full with 50 degree air tempand NE winds at 15, but 70 degree water temp. Over 30 guys out in a mile and a half of beach break. The most I've seen here in awhile.

30 guys spread over a mile and a half sounds awesome! One of my favorite waves, Secos / Leo Carrillo can have over 40 on one peak in the summer here...

Glad I found this thread! I'm not a pro by any means, but I absolutely love the sport. I usually go down on North Padre Island for about one month out of the year. On days in July when the winds die down, I always have my SUP on-hand so I can get out on the water. Merry Christmas, and happy surfing!

My girlfriend & I recently tried SUP - what a blast!

My remaining board kept for nostalgia, now hanging from the ceiling.

Coletta 5-6, tri fin; glassed on fins (and reglassed for a couple); S-cloth

Surfed many many times at Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz in the 80s.

-jim

That's a nice lookin' board! I have a 5 fin Bonzer with 4 glass ons and a box - really scared to travel with that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to my girlfriend working, and my daughter being away, I found myself alone on Christmas Day. Just me, a garage full of boards and a fading swell (and a lot of wind...). What to do?

This is Supertubes, in southern Ventura County. It only works a few times each year. It wasn't as good as a few days ago, but I had it to myself, and there were still some good waves coming through - picked off 30+ in a 1.5 hour session, so I can't complain!

Attachments

• $20151225_145437.jpg
    $20151225_145437.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom