What's new

In praise of the Fat Boy

I had my first shave with my '59 fat boy. This was an awesome shave, much smoother than my HD and the adjustment really helped during the final passes.

Chalk one up for the vintage Gillettes.:thumbup:

Glad you liked it...my 59 FB has been my daily driver for a couple of decades, and they can take it away from me when they pry my cold, dead fingers from its handle!

I've also recently obtained a '59 Fatboy, and absolutely love it. I loved it so much, I traded away my Merkur Classic because I wasn't using it anymore. I have been playing with the settings and can now get BBS with just 2 passes, which I could never get with my Classic. I like the Merkurs, and think they are great razors, but it just amazes me that these old Gillettes still seem to be more technologically advanced (after a certain point, it seems that the TTO feature was standard) for what they charged back then. Great razor. Great shave. Great looking piece of equipment in my shaving arsenal.

I shaved yesterday with my '61, and it had been a while.

Reminded me of how good these razors shave.

NOTE:

I use mine with either Derbys or Red Pack IPs set on 3 only, for all passes.

The "Fat Boys" are indeed a good razor. I just happen to receive a better shave from the Merkur Progress... It seems to give me a better all around shave. (But then I'm one of the biggest Merkur Fans around).

Don't let this get out but I do occasionally stray from the straight and narrow and use a Gillette (Fat boy, Slim, Tech, SS). But only occassionally as we have a tendency to migrate back to what gives us "Maniacal Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts" a good shave and mine happens to be Merkurs (Progress, 38C, HD, and Slant)...

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :biggrin:

Top Bottom