What's new

Anyone exclusively use SE razors

Bill sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its my first post in months! Things have been bad for me. I'm in between jobs, and in between places to live, only Internet access is my phone. :) but I'm still using my SE's. :)

And RE: blades, I also think that the PTFE coated SS GEM "industrial" blades are the best blade going. And I'm getting in the neighborhood of 15-18 shaves per blade (I always do a three pass shave)

I started wet shaving early this year, and quickly built up a nice little collection of modern and vintage DE's. A couple of months ago I discovered Single Edge razors, and acquired a bunch of them even more quickly. It's easy to do, as SE's are generally less expensive than DE's. Most of my SE's were under $20, and many under $10.

At the risk of being called blasphemous, I have found the quality of the vintage SE's to be better than DE's of a similar age. I have several Gems and Ever Ready's that are over 100 years old. The finishes on them look great, and none have cracked handles.

I have been using SE's exclusively for the past couple of months. Eventually I'll probably get back to my DE's.

Or not.

--Bob

It's injectors for me. They just make shaving so easy. I have many DE's but really don't recall the last time I used one. Maybe a couple of months ago?

When I don't use a straight, which is more and more often, I use SEs, and increasingly that means the Cobra or an injector. But guys, can we keep it down in here a little bit? I'm afraid word will get out and all the nifty "finds" in the wild and on those awful interweb auction sites will skyrocket in price.

I'm on a bit of a DE kick since I finally found my preferred DE razors, but overall I say 50/50. I only own four razors total, an aggressive and moderate razor for each (aggressive for most days except those when I'm cleaning up from a straight shave).

I will say if the SEs were as pretty I'd probably use them every day just because changing blades less often is nice. I also think its easier to get a great SE shave than DE shave, as the latter only equalled my SE shaves when I really had refined my technique and soap used.

I've just sold off my DE collection apart from a very small handful of interesting examples: an Eastern Bloc Golf which turns a DE into an SE, a Famex which is pretty much a DE lather catcher, an unknown bakelite which is aggressive as hell, another bakelite long comb just because, a New Standard with a prosthetic end, kept because I nursed it back to health ... and a Black Beauty. I also kept a comprehensive collection of Techs, but that's just to look at ...

What I'm left with is the razors I use 99% of the time: some 50+ GEM, Ever Ready, Star, Valet, Wilkinson Sword and so on. I tend to use the GEM coated blades and would put the 1912 at my primo razor, Clog Pruf in second; partial to the Contour, too!

Top Bottom