What's new

Anyone exclusively use SE razors

Hi
Does anyone exclusively use SE razors and why? I am starting to build up a small collection consisting of an Ever Ready 1912 UK, Gem G bar and just today a Gem Bullet tip micromatic, plus a navy issue Schick E3.

Jon

I have. I have shaved with a DE Adjustable for almost two years. Found a great deal on a Gem Micromatic, not adjustable but has the right slant/angle already machined into the razor. You really cant shave with one of these type of razors everyday. No complaints with nicks or cuts either.It shaves that close efficiently. The blade is made of a thicker metal which is why they are on the expensive side. 10 blades costs about $6.00. 50 blades cost about $28.00. You really cant shave with one everyday though. Most DE blades leave behind stuble. You can get that with a SE razor blade. It makes shaving with a DE razor 10x easier, I think because of the way the GEM razor is angled. Good practice blade if anything.

Last edited:
Mostly SE these days. My DEs are often neglected.
Not quite ready to switch completely though - I've got 200 Russian blades to get through!

Hi Jon,
I do.
It wasn't what originally intended but since getting my ER 1912 with Gem blades there just doesn't seem much point changing.
I've also got a Valet that I'm now using with feather SE blades, a rolls (experimenting with honing an old blade) and a Wilkinson empire which will take feathers or de-spined gems and has it's own hollow ground blades - again experimenting with honing an old one - NOS in reserve.
I bought a shavette which (for me) was useless YMMV. and a vintage straight (guess what - experimenting with honing) keep trying to get the technique right.
And now I've got a sampler of DE blades from the shavette purchase lying around I'm making (I'm an engineer with workshop) an SE razor to take DE blades :out:.
The EJ89 purchase has gone on hold! but for how long? they are soooo shiny:drool:

Not exclusively but definitely most often.

I've never found a better safety razor for keeping my sideburns squared than a DE, other than immediately after a fresh haircut. My SEs and Injectors have never done that correctly for me. The addition of a trim blade to whichever cartridge system that is part of was long overdue.

After getting the I2 Hydromagic and becoming spoiled by it, I have been using it more than any other razor, however, every other shave or so, I must reach for either a Slim or my SA to do the sideburn trimming.

I'm sure a straight would be even better at it, which explains why my barber uses one, but with the scar on one retina, my close range depth perception is not good enough to put an unguarded blade against my skin.

I've never found a better safety razor for keeping my sideburns squared than a DE, other than immediately after a fresh haircut. My SEs and Injectors have never done that correctly for me. The addition of a trim blade to whichever cartridge system that is part of was long overdue.

After getting the I2 Hydromagic and becoming spoiled by it, I have been using it more than any other razor, however, every other shave or so, I must reach for either a Slim or my SA to do the sideburn trimming.

I'm sure a straight would be even better at it, which explains why my barber uses one, but with the scar on one retina, my close range depth perception is not good enough to put an unguarded blade against my skin.

odd, i actually find squaring up my sideburns to be a bit easier with my SE.

I havent used my DEs in a few months, its been just SEs and trying to get used to straights.

My sideburns are kept full, not cropped to a very short length that various non-DE shaving tools can handle, although the Norelco shavers have a nice trimmer on them, they are quite flimsy, and do not last any time at all. Over the many years since I changed, first from an SE to an Injector, and then to a DE, I can no longer recall specifically what prompted the change from a better shaving tool to a less effective one, save that it coincided with the popularity of facial hair at the time, and for the most part, sometimes short and sometimes long, in terms of sideburn size top to bottom, I've kept them bushy ever since.

When the ugly Marine style haircuts came along, with no sideburns at all, I ignored that foolishness.

~98.7% of this year has been dedicated to Injector shaves, I had two weeks in March with a DE and last month I participated in SEptember with my Gem's & EverReady. This Month I'm participating in Schicktober 2012, and did two DE Krona shaves the past two days.

I plan on keeping my two Krona's, Ball-End Tech & Fat-Handle Tech, a Gem Clog-Pruf & Gem G-Bar and six of my Injectors for my 4 y/o son and I & maybe an occasional DE shave. The remaining Razors, DE, SE & Injector(s) will go up on the B/S/T.

I haven't been wet shaving for long (almost a year)

But I find SE's so much easier to use.

So I now have a lot vintage DE's that I just sit and look at.....

I shave with Single Edge almost 100 percent of the time.

The Double Edge Razors I respect the most are the pre 1921 Gillette OLD and Single Ring,they are the only DE razors that approach the superior performance of Single Edge razors.

odd, i actually find squaring up my sideburns to be a bit easier with my SE.

I havent used my DEs in a few months, its been just SEs and trying to get used to straights.

I'm squaring up all the way around the outside and inside of a goatee and have found single edge to be superior for that purpose,some SE's are better than others....the EverReady 1914 probably gives me the best feel for the edge of the blade and maintains a percision line...

Number 1 DE for goatee trimming:Gillette OLD or Single Ring

Last edited:
Top Bottom