What's new

Leather - what to do?

I've got a leather bomber that's acquired a fair amount of personality over the years. It's got wear, patina, personality, and it's conformed itself to my frame. It's an open-bottom, heavyweight calfskin with shirt collar and snap cuffs, black (mostly).

The problem, of course, is that the lining's shot. It's seen almost 15 years of heavy wear, and while the outer shell has weathered the years by gaining its lines and battle scars attractively, the liner's shredding.

So - the conundrum. First - is it worth getting an old jacket relined, and who even does that nowadays? Second - who out there is making decent leather these days if I decide to replace it? I like the heavier weight full-grain calfskin leathers, as the additional structure looks better on me than soft lambskin jackets.

So, gents - any suggestions?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I suspect that a decent tailor (one who actually makes suits &c, not just a 'repair/alterations' place) could handle that for you, no problem.

Found a vintage Fidelity Leather biker jacket last year with a liner that was shot to hell. Found a local tailor who does work with leather to replace the liner for $100. Granted nothing fancy but it works. As for the leather itself, had a dry cleaner send it away for treatment. Came back smooth like "butta". The leather itself is faded in parts but that give it character.

Let me see if I can follow up with some pics.

I don't know if this suggestion will work with your jacket... I had an old jacket that was able to save by relining it with a lighter weight jacket. I turned the lighter jacket inside out, removed the collar and sewed it inside the old jacket to make a new lining. The trick is finding a sacrificial jacket that fits without too may lumps or bulges. The sewing only took about two hours and you wind up with a few extra inside pockets.

I bought an A-2 style from ORVIS last year....I like their guarantee.....If you're not happy,they're not happy.....Forever!

Took a look - their vintage buffalo jacket is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Very close to the one I've got, with less distress.

I would absolutely get it relined. That personality you've spent years building is one of leather's charms.

I'll look around locally. The only place I've found for sure is a tailor and leather restorer in Chicago that I'd have to ship to just to get an estimate. They only give a rough guideline of about $200 for a heavy lining for a waist-length jacket, shipping included.

I don't know if this suggestion will work with your jacket... I had an old jacket that was able to save by relining it with a lighter weight jacket. I turned the lighter jacket inside out, removed the collar and sewed it inside the old jacket to make a new lining. The trick is finding a sacrificial jacket that fits without too may lumps or bulges. The sewing only took about two hours and you wind up with a few extra inside pockets.

Intriguing, but I no have the time nor the skills. And this is a jacket I wear a lot in business-casual sorts of situations, so it's got to look clean.

A reline shouldn't cost you that much, unless your using cashmere. I had a suede blazer relined at the same place my wife had alterations done to her wedding dress. It cost me $50 for a satin lining. (I wonder if I could re-purpose my old cashmere sweaters as a jacket lining.)

A reline shouldn't cost you that much, unless your using cashmere. I had a suede blazer relined at the same place my wife had alterations done to her wedding dress. It cost me $50 for a satin lining. (I wonder if I could re-purpose my old cashmere sweaters as a jacket lining.)

With the wear I put on that jacket, I'm thinking more like a #8 duck-cloth than satin. I've got a couple good alterations/tailoring options in town. I'll ask around.

Thanks, all.

I've had excellent results taking my leather jacket to the tailor for repairs. I'd definitely have it relined. Mine has only needed to have pockets replaced (twice) and the zipper repaired, but I'd never part with it. Reline it for even $100 or more, and you've still got your jacket. Mine needs some repair honestly; it has a quilted satin lining, but it's still ok for now.

First - is it worth getting an old jacket relined, and who even does that nowadays? Second - who out there is making decent leather these days if I decide to replace it? I like the heavier weight full-grain calfskin leathers, as the additional structure looks better on me than soft lambskin jackets.

1- yes. Leather jackets should be kept and then your heirs should argue over it, as is the slogan of one of those leather product companies, I forget which.
2- If you do buy a new leather jacket, I suggest avoiding one that is in any way "distressed." Check out schott leather.

And if you really want the best there is, try something made by these people:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com

Just please avoid the disposable junk made in pakistan and china, if you MUST replace your honestly worn jacket with the earned patina.

if you like a thick leather with some support to it, check out something in horsehide, perhaps.

About 10 years ago I picked up a beautiful leather bomber jacket at an outlet store (one can get great deals on leather winter jackets in July). That jacket is my primary winter coat and, like yours, it is developing a beautiful patina. A good leather coat is worth getting relined. My coat came with a removable liner that I have never used because the temps have never gotten cold enough to need that liner.
Anyway, last year I just got rid of a wool jacket that my father bought for me in 1968. It finally wore out. My dress winter coat turns 40 years old this winter, and it looks as good as the day it was purchased. Well made coats and jackets will last a lifetime if treated well.

I would definitely get it relined. Here in France, any tailor will do the job for a reasonable fee. In fact, I am about to get my peacoat relined.

+1 on the re-lined option.
You can't buy character like you are describing.
Get rid of it and you'll wish you hadn't.

Well, I finally got the estimate back for the reline. Looks like it's going to be about $150, so I told 'em to go ahead and do the work. As many of you stated, you can't get buy the character off a rack, and a heavy cowhide jacket of comparable style would end up costing me 2-3 times the repair price anyway.

Top Bottom