What's new

Patchouli... talk to me

I must confess that when I hear Patchouli, it conjures images of the head shops from the summer of love. An odor that I associated with those who, in these precincts, were known as hippies. I have never appreciated that smell.

So you can see that when I see Patchouli is an integral component of some highly regarded products, I was leery. With so many positive comments on Musgo Real, I could take it no longer and ordered a bottle of the classic A/S.

I could not have been more pleased with the scent. I find it great in a way that I can't describe. I wish that they had made an EDC in the classic scent as well.

So is this head shop hippy scent I remember as patchouli some bastard child? A cheap crude iteration of the scent? Not Patchouli at all? What gives? I find no similarity to that fragrance and Musgo Real.

Maybe my nose ain't what it used to be....

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

This past summer at our State Fair briefing...we got a chance to smell patchouli essential oil because there was some type of gang or something who supposedly were using it to camouflage their drug courier activity.:001_huh:
Some folks said that it smells like marijuana.....I never got that scent from it, but I dated a girl in college who liked her patchouli essential oils.... and she also liked her 'weed.' So I could see where it gets the hippie connotation.

I kinda liked it though......:thumbup1:

+1 on the KMF Patchouli

And to me, patchouli smells nothing like marijuana, it's just associated with the hippie culture. Patchouli essential oil is popular "hippie perfume".

I really do like the stuff. It's very heady, dry and woodsy. I sometimes combine Pinaud Bay Rum w/ Lime Essential Oil with a Patchouli essential oil Corn Husker's Lotion combo. The scent is definitely love it or hate it, but I love it.

Give Sue at SCS a call. Ask for a sample of "Smoke and Beads" . In your face Patchouli. Not for the faint of heart. I love it. When I first smelled it I told her that I felt I had just walked into a '60's head shop.

I love KMF patchouli! I was born in october 1967, juster after summer of love. Too bad I was too young to know that kind of time in US :sad:
By the way, what do you mean by head shop?

I love KMF patchouli! I was born in october 1967, juster after summer of love. Too bad I was too young to know that kind of time in US :sad:
By the way, what do you mean by head shop?

A "Head Shop" was the local hippie supply house. Usually a record store in which the odor of Patchouli incense was intensely strong (mostly to cover the smell of Marijuana) and they sold tie-dye T-shirts, incense, cigarette papers, "bongs", etc. At least that's what I heard. I wouldn't know myself. :whistling: :a39:

So is this head shop hippy scent I remember as patchouli some bastard child? A cheap crude iteration of the scent? Not Patchouli at all? What gives? I find no similarity to that fragrance and Musgo Real.

I would say that all of my colognes smell different if a pass on showering for a couple... months :001_07:

If you commisioned an EDC based on something like frankincense, patchouli EO, ash, bong resin, hemp, body soil, musk, and halitosis you might start to approximate what you remember from 1968. There were a whole bunch of smells going on to spoil patchouli's good name.

I really like the smell of Patchouli.
But I quit wearing the Kiss My Face Patchouli scented deodorant to the office, because it was strong enough that my co-workers would ask me if I was wearing Patchouli. I didn't want to get selected for a "random" drug test...

Most people have given plenty of info, so not much to add here. The patchouli KMF does smell like the "hippie patchouli" to me...can't forget the "married couple" of freshmen during my freshman year (these were the kids who got married at 18 to **** off their families or something). They would douse themselves with patchouli oil...and the KMF has that same scent.

I think Speick does a great job getting the patchouli scent (which is supposedly the smell of the speick plant, not patchouli) without the hippie-overload factor.

What???!! my Speick has patchouli in it TOO? I had been thinking that MR and Speick were probably my favorite A/S to date. Worlds are crumbling. Time to revisit the issue. Every once in a while I get that. Something I learned as a youngster, turns out to be wrong.

Thanks gents.

Regards,
Mike

I work on a state university campus, and like all campuses, it has its hippie element. When I catch a whiff of patchouli, I think to myself, "I'd rather smell :9898: than patchouli," and try to avoid it. Now the smell of well-cured tobacco is another story...

I work on a state university campus, and like all campuses, it has its hippie element. When I catch a whiff of patchouli, I think to myself, "I'd rather smell :9898: than patchouli," and try to avoid it. Now the smell of well-cured tobacco is another story...

Tulip....then you'd probably like L'occitane Eau Des Beaux....smells like a cigar shop humidor:rolleyes:

Tulip....then you'd probably like L'occitane Eau Des Beaux....smells like a cigar shop humidor:rolleyes:

I agree with Tulip in that I can't stand the smell of Patchouli. Hippies, head shop or not I just don't like it.

I recently got some TGQ Sandalwood that has a touch of Patchouli in it and for me it ruined the whole scent. Sorry Colleen...

On the other hand I do enjoy the tobacco scent which includes TGQ Cavendish Black. That is very good stuff. Anyway or as they say...to each his own.

Top Bottom