What's new

What's your red?

Hmm? I usually use some sort of blue, blue-black, or black inks but these days if it`s not these inks just mentioned it is some kind of brownish types of inks...well for reds it would be iroshizuku yama-budo, Hero red ink, and recently (6-7 months ago) I`ve picked up a bottle Diamine ox blood ink and M&G red ink also Pelikan 4001 Brilliant red ink but I`ve yet to open it up. I miss the Parker Quink red ink and it doesn`t seem to be available anywhere new these days? So that is pretty well it for red type of inks that I have used before.

I have a large bottle of Noodler's Nikita. It is a nice red but I fear for the pen I leave it in. The first time I inked an eyedropper with it the ink was slow to saturate the feed and I wanted to see if it was to the nib yet. I swiped my finger across the top and looked at my finger. I thought I cut myself.

Black Swan in Australian Roses is a nicer ink and while more maroon/burgundy I don't have as many problems with it in feeds.

I don't like a real reddish red for writing at length, but I do keep a Pilot Varsity filled with Noodler's Fox for when I want to add some emphasis.

And occasionally I'll use Sailor Jentle Oku Yama for general writing. It's more a burgundy, and easier on the eyes if you want to read a couple of pages written in it. I only fill a pen with it now and again. Usually prefer blue, brown, and purple.

I have tried vintage Penit cardinal red, and Lamy red(which looked more pink), but I keep oxblood in my color pen. I have several people comment on the color, and the pen.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Noodlers Antietam
Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses
Diamine Ancient Copper- sorta red.

Diamine Classic Red for a great true red - think a classic muscle car
Blackstone Uluru Red
Levenger Pomegranate - a favorite - but was discontinued earlier this year and is difficult to find. I haven't been able to yet. (I have about 15 ml or so left of my current bottle)
Blackstone Red Cashmere - unobtanium - I was part of a group of ink testers. It was a 4 gram packet of powdered ink. All you needed to do is add distilled water. I mixed mine at a 8% concentration. (50 ml distilled water) Behaves nicely, great dark red color.

Both Red Cashmere and Pomegranate have some sheen.

Noodlers BSIAR. Kind of a dark red.

I have one pen dedicated to this (Black Swan in Australian Roses for those who may not know the acronym used above.) I would call it a burgundy color, but I love it and have a couple bottles of it so I won't run out anytime soon. It's rated as a semi-waterproof IIRC.

I like Diamine Rustic Brown and I use it in my work notebook to write down follow up items. Its enough to stand out but it doesn't scream at me! I tried a few other samples before settling on Rustic Brown.

I bought a bottle of Noodler's Berning Red that I like for a bright red.
My favorite is probably De Artamentis Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I use if for Christmas cards and just inked my Ahab with it the other day.

Top Bottom