What's new

No mention of my shaving products....how come?

I use a gillette fusion razor, but i'm seriously concidering using a Merkur instead. My problem area is the neck, and i never really can get as close as I'd like to.

I see alot of different products being talked about, but none of the products I use. This is my shaving arsinal:

anthony sport exfoliating scrub

art of shaving pre-shave oil

art of shaving cream

zirh after shave

now like I said, I'm new to wet shaving (i thought what i was doing was a wetshave, till i read a little) is there something wrong with my product? will it work for a wet shave? someone let me know. price isn't an object, so if that's the cheif complaint, I'm cool. But if there is some other reason why I shouldn't be using these products, let me know.

p.s. - i've heard that soap is really bad for shaving, true, false?

:confused1

Your questions are great ones, and I can tell you that you're on the right track by coming to this forum, seeking answers sharing your knoweldge and experience with those of us who have done similarly. Most of us on this forum get a truly great shave virtually every day, look forward to shaving throughout the day, and are really happy campers. We look forward to your being in that crowd.
Now for a few nuts and bolts issues: First of all, prep. Kyle has written the definitive word on pre-shave prep, found here, and if there's more to be said on this topic, it would require the invention of some new device/preparation.
In terms of comparing the efficacyof different razors, I just ran an experiment called "The Six Day Challenge," available here, documenting my own experience with a DE, M3 and Fusion. The problem, as I note with the M3 and the Fusion is that they are designed to be pressed against the face, letting the blade mechanism adjust as necessary to remove hair. This has the potential for greater irritation because the only way you'll get a smooth shave is to bear down enough to let the razor do its job. It also increases the risk of blade-skin contact (= irritation.)
The DE is entirely controlled by you, so that variable can lead to a learning curve. My opinion: it's well worth it. You'll get a great shave with no irritation. It may take you a few weeks to get there, but it will be worth the journey.
That's it for starters--welcome aboard. We're glad you're here.

Welcome to B&B. I think you'll find that lots of us like Art of Shaving creams; their lavender is terrific. Check out the Reviews section, where you'll probably find reviews of some of your other products.

And before long, you'll lose any ability to resist buying more.:wink:

Welcome. If you like the creams and soaps that you use then they are good for you. There is a review section here that talks about the different items. After reading some of the reviews you may find an item or two that you would like to try.

Welcome to the B&B. I, for one, get better shaves (usually) when I use a shaving soap (not a regular bar of soap, mind you...a shaving soap) versus creams. i would recommend the L'Occitane shaving soap (since many malls have a L'Occitane).

I recently switch from a Mach 3 to a Merkur. I use Proraso product because it's widely available and I really like the smell. I just bought Col. Conk Lime soap, I intend to try it soon.
There is a learning curve, but the pleasure is there. I have seen the Art of Shaving product in Montreal, but it's very expensive.

You should really try a DE and experiment until you find something you like.

I had neck irritation with the Mach 3 and it's all gone.

Cheers

Welcome, you already have two very important items in your arsenal, shaving cream and.....an interest in proper shaving! If cost isn't an issue, get a decent badger hair brush and jump in feet first with a Merkur HD and some good starter blades like a Derby and get stuck in. There are endless do's and don'ts. Best advice, watch Mantics videos on youtube keep the pressure light and you really can't do much else apart from learn as you go along! Then, when you're ready, you can graduate to a straight........like a real man! Keep asking questions and keep us posted, happy shaving.

I would encourage you to get a decent badger brush and certainly try a Merkur and some C&E shave cream. I would recommend you start with Crystal or Dorco blades. I shaved with a Gillette multi blade cartridge razor and a brush and cream for 20 years. I gave DE a serious try for 4 months and ended up going back to the Fusion. I personally get a closer shave with much less irritation with the Fusion. And I think learning to shave with a DE will help you shave better if you do go back to the Fusion. You will learn to understand how your beard grows and what WTG, XTG and ATG means!

As they say here on B&B, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Good luck.

Roger

Hi Papa, welcome to B&B. You've got questions, B&B's got answers and fellowship.

Smooth shaving,

jss

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Welcome.

Your Art of Shaving cream is good stuff and gets talked about quite a bit, but is usually abbreviated as AOS and the search feature won't find three letter words or less.

soap is just fine for shaving. i tend to prefer creams over soap for the most part especially in the drier weather, but they both work just fine.

the AOS (art of shaving stuff) i hear is pretty good so you can definately stick with that.

As several people have said, the Art of Shaving cream is actually very popular stuff, and there is no particular reason to think you can do any better. You might enjoy experimenting with other things, but that one will do fine. If you are not using it with a brush, it works fine that way, but you will more likely get more out of it with a brush. And use less.

Haven't tried Zirh aftershave, but if it works for you, and your skin feels good, then.... If you feel like it isn't doing everything you would like, we can provide suggestions. Although, there is no miracle cure for razor burn (you didn't mention that, but I wanted to, because I feel like a lot of people think the right aftershave will undo all the harm of a bad shave, and go looking for a fix there, when the real answers are elsewhere.)

On the scrub. How often are you using it, and where? Honestly, I would not suggest ever using an exfoliant on the parts of your face you shave. Dragging a metal blade across it should be all the exfoliation you ever need. If you really must, be sure to do it some other time, not before you shave. I strongly suggest using that only on the parts you don't shave, though. Scrubbing off more skin, in addition to what you scrape off, is probably asking for trouble.

Give a Merkur a try. As Roger said, it is not for everyone. But, as a lot of others have found out, it can be a major improvement. I think there is a good chance that you will get much better results on your neck, after a little practice.

Welcome.

-Mo

PS - The whole soap being bad for shaving is a wives tale, probably invented by the canned goo companies. It really isn't that different than traditional creams like that AOS you use, and works great. Depending on the particular soap, of course.

Top Bottom