What's new

Poly/Nylon Webbing Source

I was reading the post where Landri made a strop, and someone had pointed out that if using seat belt material you're better off buying new material and not using a dirty, used seat belt. This reminded me of a website I had purchased from a few years ago and had a great experience with, so thought I'd share

A direct ling to their seat belt webbing here: http://www.strapworks.com/Seatbelt_Webbing_s/902.htm

They have lots of colors to choose from, so you're not just stuck with the standard beige and gray that you find in an actual car. Or if you want to go crazy, for like 20cents more per foot you can get printed patterns on the polyester webbing. I'm thinking Diamond Plate looks pretty badass :scared:
proxy.php

They also carry all kinds of D-rings and Swivel hooks and things like that. Again though, only up to 2" widths
But the stainless hardware can be powder coated in a bunch of different colors for real cheap, if you want to further customize the look

Being a guitar player, I have a few guitar straps and all of them are the same material as a seatbelt.

Lately, every time I pick up my guitar to put it on I think about using the strap as a prep side for one of my strops that has terrible felt material for its prep. Haven't gotten around to it yet. It would be better though.

I know it's hard to believe but my guitar gear is much more precious than my shaving gear and I even have a hard time justifying the sacrifice of a simple strap for grooming purposes.

Thanks for the link. Wipe your strop with a clean white paper towel and look at what is on your strop. That’s just from dust. Now look at your cars seat belt with a magnifying glass.

When we see magnified photos of bevels with random deep stria, I believe that comes from grit on the strop. You cannot get that out of poly/nylon, I have tried. It is so inexpensive why even try? Fabric stores carry nylon/poly stropping by the foot for a buck or two, great for experimenting with different paste.

A hanging strop will also produce a “boat hull” shape bevel, stronger than a flat, “arrow head” shaped bevel, most important at Nano grits for the durability of the edge.

Thanks for the comment Boonshaft, it was your post in the other thread that made me remember about this site, but I had already started writing and couldn't remember who had said it lol

blackman, I believe you, I know a couple of guys obsessed with their guitar equipment. But, now you know you don't have to sacrifice your expensive guitar strap when you can buy this stuff by the foot for next to nothing :thumbup1:

Okay, here's an idea - lots of DIYers out there always find another way to skin a cat...perusing this forum for information on how to paste strop my blade, and following the link for the polywebbing for seatbelts...I thought, instead of all that extra hardware, and DIYing the thing to become a custom made strop for each paste - - - READY? - ONE BELT. and a length so long, that you can apply a different micron paste to each area, and as your wantonness to progress in microns and improve the paste-hone, you just revolve the belt!
C'mon, I'm sure that someone's already thought of this!! Make the belt, connect its ends, and then, apply differing pastes to sequential areas of the belt! - Pull taut and strop, revolve, pull taut - strop, etc. etc. and you have got yourself a multi-honer belt!

Neat idea. A marker to demarcate pastes, and one of these:$0287-536073c6bdb35f7646b0a25d81f912f42934.png

to hold onto, and you are rolling!

Okay, here's an idea - lots of DIYers out there always find another way to skin a cat...perusing this forum for information on how to paste strop my blade, and following the link for the polywebbing for seatbelts...I thought, instead of all that extra hardware, and DIYing the thing to become a custom made strop for each paste - - - READY? - ONE BELT. and a length so long, that you can apply a different micron paste to each area, and as your wantonness to progress in microns and improve the paste-hone, you just revolve the belt!
C'mon, I'm sure that someone's already thought of this!! Make the belt, connect its ends, and then, apply differing pastes to sequential areas of the belt! - Pull taut and strop, revolve, pull taut - strop, etc. etc. and you have got yourself a multi-honer belt!

Top Bottom