What's new

2 Treasures from Tony's Barbershop Durham, NC

The history of these companies can be confusing and the working arrangments are not completely known. Here's some of what I've gleaned.

Carl Monkhouse started manufacturing razors in Germany.
Around 1912 he opened a plant in Ellicottville, N.Y. In 1937 the company headquarters moved to Allegheny, N.Y.
As well as manufacturing razors in Ellicottville, they continued to import razors from Germany. They are still in business today as Cutlery Associates, in Allegheny, N. Y., manufacturing and importing very fine scissors and manicure kits. They ceased manufacturing razors sometime in the 1970s.

Peter J. Michels was a re-seller of razors and shears manufactured for them that started business in 1915. Several sources state that they went out of business in 1955. However someone must have purchased the company because there are Peter J. Michels catalogues selling C-Mon razors from the early 1960s to as late as 1973 and they are still listed as in business in Bolivar, N.Y. There might have been a gap from 1955 to the early 1960s since there have been C-Mon labeled razors produced under the Carl Monkhouse name without the Peter J. Michels imprint.
C-Mon was a trademarked brand of Peter J. Michels. Originally C-Mon razors were made for them exclusively by Carl Monkhouse, manufactured both in Germany and in Ellicottville. Later C-Mon razors were also supplied to PJM by Filarmonica, Tru-Edge, Camillus Cutlery and Dovo. C-Mon razors from the 1980s until the present are made by Dovo.

Greybeard, you seem to have a wealth of information. Any idea how PJM Spear razors tie into the PJM and Carl Monkhouse relationship?
I Have a PJM Spear No 10. Trying to get more info. I am wondering when it was made, and who made it etc. The usual. Thanks
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/437029-Peter-J-Michels-Spear-No-10

Last edited:
Top Bottom