What's new

Vulfix #5 Boar brush. Anyone have it?

To start, I've only used the VanDerHagen boar brush before I decided to try something differant, and have no complaints about it. Anyway, the Vulfix brush was only like $10, so I decided to get it with some soaps.

Not sure if I'm going to like it. Its "mast" is much smaller than the VDH, and it feels like useing an artist's paintbrush to apply with. I can get 3 passes with the VDH, but the Vulfix is only a 1 pass.

Are brushes like the Vulfix better for face lathering than bowel lathering?

I have become a fan of Vulfix boar brushes though it took some time before I appreciated them. I never bought a #5 as I don't go over 50mm loft anymore as primarily being a face latherer.

I do have a #6 (same dimensions as a #9 but much stiffer bristle), a#9 (5mm shorter loft than your #5) and a #2189 (5mm shorter than the #6/9). The #9 and 2189 use about the same grade of boar as the #5 has; rather thin and flexible hairs that need a very long time (think several months) before they break in. At first they don't lather very well and I can understand your trouble with the #5 in that respect but now after the break-in my #2189, with 10mm les loft height than yours, easily holds lather for 3+ passes.

Vulfix is, apart from the #6, making boar brushes that are different from what a boar user might expect; softer, more splay and an enormous break-in period. You might just have to hold on a bit. At first I thought the #2189 was never going to be one of my favs and almost forgot about it. It took about a year of now-and-then use before it started to convince me of its qualities and after that it went fast; it became my absolute fav brush and I bought first one and then another spare. If you can get a #6 you might give it a shot; it behaves much more like a 'normal' boar brush. For the rest; hold on to your #9 and it might grow on you, especially as a bowl-brush (because of the higher loft).

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom