What's new

Stainless DE Trials Above the Tie Safety Razor

From a quality and durability standpoint, I would answer, "Yes, for sure." I feel this razor provides a comfortable, efficient shave in an all stainless steel model. I feel the quality and finish is every bit as good as the Tradere razors I own, which are the only other stainless steel razors I have used.

+1

I did get the opportunity to trialthe “Above The Tie” DE razor and I will post the following review of it. I have been wet shaving with a DE razor foralmost five years and like many of you have never felt the desire to shave anyother way.

I willevaluate this tool with the following categories: Look, Shave, and Quality.

The Look:

Thegood thing about this razor is the “above the tie” designers are avid wet shaversand have made a shaving tool that looks amazing. It has a solid design with no plating butjust a sold stainless tool. The handlehas great look and feel. Looks evenbetter in hand then the posted pics.

The Shave:

I knowsome people could care less about how it looks. How does it Shave! I used an economical Wilkinson blade for thistrail. Even with what I considered amild blade I felt this razor had an aggressive cut. It was a little heavier then the Merkur I wasusing previously. The first shave was ona 24hr beard and only took two passes before having a clean face. No nicks andno cuts. Overall this was a very goodshave. The subsequent shaves were thesame.

The Quality:

TheRazors are made from Solid Stainless Steel Pieces and has the quality of a Craftsmenwrench. This razor has the look and feelof a razor that you can pass down to your Grand Children and solid enough tojack up a car. I know many of you havedropped your plated razors in the sink and cracked the plating this thing willcrack your sink.

Overall:

This is a razor that I would buy for myself and for my father as a gift.

Last edited:
I haven't been overly enthused with the latest "artisan" razors as of late...and have bought and sold most of them. I actually like the look of this razor, the build quality appears to be very good and the guys aren't trying to "reinvent" the wheel as such; but appear to be striving to simply build a better one.

I'm in.

OK B&B, The conclusion to the ATT review:
:thumbup:Today i noticed that after 24 hrs the stuble on my face is not very thick. The razor did its job at really reducing the hairs 24 hrs ago.:001_wub:

So here goes my final routine and review:

I used a Astra blade and did and Prorasso prep. The routine is easier as the days go by. 1st pass up and down. SMOOTH. 2nd pass side to side . SMOOTHER= BBS.

The conclusion and final thoughts.:

The razor is very aggressive, kinda like the new/R41, New Deluxe razor and Barbasol mixed in with a Gem 1912 design razor. The blade exposure at the corners are very tucked in and is designed as a safety feature which prevents the overly exposed blade to nick you ( love this feature). The weight of the razor is on the heavy side though. I have clumsy hands and the weight of the razor for me is a tad on the heavy side. This razor only requires for you to just place it on your face and put no zero pressure, any other pressure and it can give you irritation as end results. I think that a less heavier handle can work better for me and for others. ( YMMV).....

Final thoughts:

Is it worth the price? I don't think that price is a factor here. The price is on average with other razors in the same class. It is end results that you want, and you have to pay a price for that. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. In this case you are paying for a higher end modern razor that really works. It can be compared to the instant classic phenomenally functional and popular R41/2011 razor. Not many razors are aggressive yet yield mild and no irritation results in the same manner. This razor has the cutting results of a Straight razor and aggressive DE combined. For everyday shaving it is a ideal razor. That right there is the price of admission for me.

Recommended? YES

Price fair? on average with same class razors, probably cheaper.

Shave results? Mild no irritation....BBS with just 2 pass

Aggressive? Yes, but more usable than r41 with no learning curve.

Why buy this and not cheaper similar modern razor? No comparison, the r41 is the only competitor and it requires a learning curve and yeilds less desirable results.( you get what you pay)

Thank you B&B great members for your time. God Bless.:thumbup:

I haven't been overly enthused with the latest "artisan" razors as of late...and have bought and sold most of them. I actually like the look of this razor, the build quality appears to be very good and the guys aren't trying to "reinvent" the wheel as such; but appear to be striving to simply build a better one.

I'm in.
Sam, you will be happy with this razor. I think its a instant classic like the R41/2011.

I did get the opportunity to trialthe “Above The Tie” DE razor and I will post the following review of it. I have been wet shaving with a DE razor foralmost five years and like many of you have never felt the desire to shave anyother way.

I willevaluate this tool with the following categories: Look, Shave, and Quality.

The Look:

Thegood thing about this razor is the “above the tie” designers are avid wet shaversand have made a shaving tool that looks amazing. It has a solid design with no plating butjust a sold stainless tool. The handlehas great look and feel. Looks evenbetter in hand then the posted pics.

The Shave:

I knowsome people could care less about how it looks. How does it Shave! I used an economical Wilkinson blade for thistrail. Even with what I considered amild blade I felt this razor had an aggressive cut. It was a little heavier then the Merkur I wasusing previously. The first shave was ona 24hr beard and only took two passes before having a clean face. No nicks andno cuts. Overall this was a very goodshave. The subsequent shaves were thesame.

The Quality:

TheRazors are made from Solid Stainless Steel Pieces and has the quality of a Craftsmenwrench. This razor has the look and feelof a razor that you can pass down to your Grand Children and solid enough tojack up a car. I know many of you havedropped your plated razors in the sink and cracked the plating this thing willcrack your sink.

Overall:

This is a razor that I would buy for myself and for my father as a gift.

Great, i look forward to your reviews.

So, with a tear in my eye and an aching in my heart, I had my last shave with the Above the Tie Titan H1 Prototype this evening. With over 48 hours growth, I had a shower prep with Nutrogena Face Scrub. I then lathered up RazoRock Don Marco with my Truefitt & Hill Best Badger Moonjava. After that, I made a change on blade choice. None of the other reviewers (that I recall) have tried a Feather blade, so I went for it. I then lathered and removed with alum (like the Turkish guy at the market said they do in Turkey), witch hazel, and bijon b exquisite aftershave. I had one small nick from the first pass and a couple tiny weepers that the styptic pencil took care of behind the alum.

Results: If I didn't have a kid and shave around a chinstrap type beard, I would wonder if I had been through puberty. 2 passes on the face and chin and 3 on the neck, none against the grain, gave me one of the best shaves I think I have ever had. I WILL have one of these. I can't express enough how well this razor works for me. I have tried many, and this may be my favorite. I hope everyone has enjoyed the reviews and have been able to make a decision based on their personal preferences. As you know, YMMV, but the R41 and FaTip were too much for me where the Titan H1 was much easier to use with similar, if not better results.

So, with a tear in my eye and an aching in my heart, I had my last shave with the Above the Tie Titan H1 Prototype this evening. With over 48 hours growth, I had a shower prep with Nutrogena Face Scrub. I then lathered up RazoRock Don Marco with my Truefitt & Hill Best Badger Moonjava. After that, I made a change on blade choice. None of the other reviewers (that I recall) have tried a Feather blade, so I went for it. I then lathered and removed with alum (like the Turkish guy at the market said they do in Turkey), witch hazel, and bijon b exquisite aftershave. I had one small nick from the first pass and a couple tiny weepers that the styptic pencil took care of behind the alum.

Results: If I didn't have a kid and shave around a chinstrap type beard, I would wonder if I had been through puberty. 2 passes on the face and chin and 3 on the neck, none against the grain, gave me one of the best shaves I think I have ever had. I WILL have one of these. I can't express enough how well this razor works for me. I have tried many, and this may be my favorite. I hope everyone has enjoyed the reviews and have been able to make a decision based on their personal preferences. As you know, YMMV, but the R41 and FaTip were too much for me where the Titan H1 was much easier to use with similar, if not better results.

I don't disagree at all, the end results are better than any aggressive modern or vintage razor out there . I think that this may replace the instant classical R41/2011.

So he went with Titan H1, nice.
proxy.php

Yes, Titan H1

Alex and Shaverjoe have given some great reviews and opinions on the new ATT razor, think you guys have convinced me.

Top Bottom