What's new

Washington Redskins fans...

I know I'm not the only one here, right?

Have you ever remembered it being this bad? In 24 years, I can't. Obviously, Sean Taylor's death has been the worst thing to happen this season, but the team's play has been gut wrenching.

If they would just get blown out, it would be one thing. But to constantly tease me into thinking they might win, only to collapse in the waning seconds is unbearable. I can't remember a season where so many games have left me so upset. And to think that they've had a chance to beat every team they've played this season, except the Patriots.

I thought for sure they would win today of all days. I'm so upset. Someone console me.

Actually, I like Eli; and I feel for him. He plays in New York, where the media is relentless. Plus, he's Peyton's brother, which means he's always living in Peyton's shadow. So, he's got the toughest media in the country expecting him to play like and comparing him to one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history. That's some kind of pressure.

Don't get me wrong, he's not playing well, but I think he still has potential.

But no, that does not comfort me. At least he Giants either win regularly or lose by a good number. The Redskins have teased me all season. For the sake of my health, the Patriots game was the best of the season, because I knew they were doomed by the second quarter and could turn it off and look forward to the next week. Nearly every other game (with the exception of the Lions) has been a back and forth, down to the wire event that has left me horribly crushed more often than not.

Today I really wanted them to win. I called my Dad and Washington and told him that I've never wanted a team to win a game more than I wanted the Redskins to win today. For both Sean Taylor's memory and to get them back in the playoff hunt. Instead they lost, in the last seconds, to the Buffalo Bills and Trent Edwards.

So, in the last seven days, they've lost two games they should have won and, more importantly, lost their most talented player forever. And that just sucks in every way possible.

I've decided that I can't watch this team play football again until next season. It is just too depressing for me.

Man, I feel the same way!
I am THE Skin's fan and I too wanted them to win today. Last 3 games now down to the wire only to lose it in the last few.
I had such high hopes this season and now with the passing of thier best player...just a really tough season.

What happened with Gibbs at the end? The Colts game ended and when I got the game they were saying something about Gibbs calling 2 timeouts in a row?

All I can say is we have been through this before. I remember when I was a kid and Jurgenson would throw a mile and we would lose 38 - 35, it has ahppened more often as a Redskins fan than not. Hang in there, they are young and improving.

Maybe my big problem is that I grew up with them winning. I'm 24, so when I was a child, growing up, they were Super Bowl contenders or winners almost every year. Gibbs was the best coach in the NFL. We could win it with Mark Rypien!

I still remember Doug Williams' Skins stomping all over Elway and the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

I know this Redskins' unit has potential. I thought maybe this was a year we'd make the playoffs, but I guess not. What worries me is Daniel Snyder. Any time we don't win (which is pretty much every year) he completely overhauls the team. Two years ago we made the playoffs and then, for some reason, we brought in Al Saunders and his 1000 page play book to coach the offense. I still don't understand that. I suppose I should be happy that Snyder is no longer bringing in washed up stars - Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, etc. - but I'm still worried.

As far as the two time outs, I still don't know for certain what happened. I'm in NYC now and because I came down with a bad cold, I was forced to endure the J-E-T-S and Dolphins. So, I didn't see what happened. According to my Dad, Joe Gibbs tried to call two time outs in a row to freeze the Buffalo kicker, which is illegal and considered unnecessary roughness.

Imagine my shock when I read on the NFL.com game tracker that the Redskins had been flagged for unnecessary roughness, but didn't know the extent of the call. I was certain somebody hit the kicker and started screaming and yelling in my apartment. Then imagine when I found out that we called two timeouts in a row.

Ugh.

What happened with Gibbs at the end? The Colts game ended and when I got the game they were saying something about Gibbs calling 2 timeouts in a row?

I'm no conspiricay theorist, but somebody in that organization is tanking games. Every game they've lost this season have been because of brutal, last quater misktakes. Screen passes on 4th and 5. Interceptions on hail mary plays with 5 min left. And then Sunday's timeout debacle. No way somebody's not pulling the strings there.

An interesting theory, though I can't imagine why they'd be tanking games.

I didn't want to mention this before, but I think it's time for Coach Joe to hang it up. There have been some god awful play calls this season. There was a third and one where they pitched it left. They threw the ball five yards backwards to Portis, so that he had to pick up six instead of one. On fourth in one, in the same game, against the Packers, they threw a screen on fourth and one. I don't remember the game, but they were in the Redzone and they ran twice, on first and second. On third, they threw a pass to Todd Wade who got right to the goal line, just shy of the endzone. Because of a holding call on the opposing defense, they got a new set of downs. What did they do? They ran it twice more. And on third and about ten, at least, to the end zone, they ran a draw play to Portis. So they were forced to kick the field goal. Against the Bucs, last week, on fourth and one and down by like 10, they opted to go for it instead of kick the field goal and THEN go for the touchdown. They didn't convert and that was pretty much it.

The play calling has been the worst I've ever seen. Ever. By anyone. I can't figure it out. Maybe they are throwing them...

As a hardcore Skins fan myself, I saw no heart, no drive, no rallying around each other for the entirety of that game. Losing Sean Taylor as a teammate is something I can only imagine, but at that point on that Sunday, they needed to win one for him, and it was the same old thing it's been for the last four games, letting it all go.

And as far as Joe Gibbs is concerned, I believe he was rehired as a novelty. Joe Gibbes was, and in some ways is Washington football, but the play calling is absurd and there is no real sense of esprit de corps amongst the team. Gibbs is where the buck stops and he's just not getting it done, although since Daniel Snyder took over as owner, I do believe the team is 66-78.

At any rate, something's gotta be done about this team, because a legion of fans is getting antsy.

I am a Cowboys fan. So -- no sympathy here (for the team at least, the loss of Taylor is absolutely tragic). I doubt the Boys had any Redskin concern when they went 1 and 15 in Aikman's first year. I will say that the NFC East is traditionally the toughest division in the NFL..... Let's see if that generates some remarks.

Well you can take a bit of heart in the fact that you have the BEST offensive coordinator in the NFL. As a K.C. Chefs fan, I watched Al Saunders take a team that was about as middlin to plain bad as you can get on offense and make them a powerhouse. It depends on two things. The owner will have to pony up the dough for a couple of very good free agents on offense. If memory serves, you have an owner with pretty deep pockets.Two, and this is the BIGGY, the head coach must believe in what Saunders is doing and stay OUT OF HIS WAY. I am telling you, the guy can flat out run an offense. Now, if there is any conflict between him and Gibbs, if Gibbs is cutting back on the play book, or other factors that we don't see, then it won't look like K.C.'s offense of a few years ago. Dick Vermeil trusted him implicitly and the results speak for themselves. For about five years we had an offense that ranked from 1-3. Better than the Colts, better than the Pats. That is pretty tall company. The TROUBLE we had was the general manager. He won't spend money on both sides of the ball and our defense was lousy. Would to god that he would have given Gunter Cunningham(our DC)a few of the defensive players we have now. Those teams would have racked up a couple of superbowl victories. Now we are right back to the Marty/Gunther(as head coach)days with Herm. 32nd place offense with a top ten defense and going nowhere fast. Sorry to go side tangent there but you get the drift. I think you guys are in WAY better shape than the Chefs.

Regards, Todd

From the reports I've read, the team was emotionally exhausted, which I can understand. I'm upset they didn't win that game, but I can understand how it would be difficult to play under those circumstances. However, that does not excuse the rest of the seasons mishaps.

I think there is a lack of faith in Jason Campbell on the part of the coaching staff. I keep waiting for the announcement that Mark Brunell is heading out, which would be followed by me hurling my remote at the tv and then stomping around the house like King Kong.

What I don't understand is who is running the offense. Saunders' title is Assistant Head Coach offense. Gregg Williams' is Assistant Head Coach Defense. So, if the former is calling offensive plays and the latter is calling defensive plays, what is Joe Gibbs doing? And why are we still running counter trey?

I think Saunders is a competent coordinator, but I don't think there was any need for him. We made the playoffs without him. The addition of Saunders was another case of Snyder going ape**** in the offseason and making unnecessary additions. I think he would have been great on a team with a losing record, but what's the point of completely overhauling the offense when you just made the playoffs for the first time in years? That I don't get.

I am a Cowboys fan. So -- no sympathy here (for the team at least, the loss of Taylor is absolutely tragic). I doubt the Boys had any Redskin concern when they went 1 and 15 in Aikman's first year. I will say that the NFC East is traditionally the toughest division in the NFL..... Let's see if that generates some remarks.

I don't get into the rivalry. The Cowboys are fine with me. Tony Romo comes across as a likable fellow and Wade Phillips looks adorably similar to the Michelin Man, so I can't hate him. The only thing I dislike about the Cowboys is Terrell Owens and that has nothing to do with the team he's playing for and everything to do with who he is.

I will say that the NFC East is traditionally the toughest division in the NFL..... Let's see if that generates some remarks.

I would agree with that... but where have they been that last 6 years?

Two more things.

1. The Skins earn more revenue than any other team in the NFL, but it doesn't matter in regards to finding the money for top notch players because of the salary cap. Snyder has had a tendency in the past to acquire novelty big name players a la Steinbrenner, but he still has to follow the salary guidlines

2. I would never put it past Snyder to tank games this season to give Gibbs an exit strategy. Talking like a true armchair sports exec, Snyder would get a lot more bad PR if he fired Gibbs, vs letting him quit on his own. Giving him a little nudge with two terrible season in a row (Gibbs is a notorious sore loser) would all what Gibbs would need to focus on driving cars for the rest of his life.

2. I would never put it past Snyder to tank games this season to give Gibbs an exit strategy. Talking like a true armchair sports exec, Snyder would get a lot more bad PR if he fired Gibbs, vs letting him quit on his own. Giving him a little nudge with two terrible season in a row (Gibbs is a notorious sore loser) would all what Gibbs would need to focus on driving cars for the rest of his life.

I don't get what you're suggesting. Are you saying Gibbs is trying to win and Snyder is forcing the team to win, because he wants Gibbs to quit? Or are you saying Gibbs wants to quit and he and Snyder are tanking games to give him an excuse to quit.

I can't really see how either of those theories could be true. I mean, if Gibbs wants to quit, I'd assume he'd just quit at the end of the season. Unless of course he's worried about fans thinking he gave up on them... But then, I don't think it would matter what his record was. People in Washington have a lot of faith in Joe Gibbs. I don't think Joe Gibbs would want to throw games, anyway. Even if he doesn't have the heart for it anymore, I think he'd still try to do as best as he could.

If Snyder fired Gibbs, fans would be pissed, regardless of the rationale.

This past week with the death of Sean Taylor I have seen Cowboy fans behave in the classiest of ways, there is no way I can dislike the Cowboys anymore. As far as I care the rivalry is dead. I now root for one team only.

I believe that Joe Gibbs is over his head. The Redskins have the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL, I think Williams is great and I know Saunders was great but from what I have seen in the press conferences Joe has shackled Saunders. Babying along Jason Campbell for a half a season before letting him loose was ridiculous. Joe is also the general manager, which is a position he is not good at. He has full veto power over any personnel decision, this is a role he has never had and one that when he did force his will, even in his first tenure he stunk at. I only have to bring up his total love of Desmond Howard, that blew up in our face.

I must also admit that I am not a Dan Snyder fan. He seems to micromanage and his knowledge of the game equals mine or yours. While I love the Redskins I am not qualified to make trades, evaluate talent, or sign free agents. Dan is doing all of this without the experience to do so. He is too interested in using the Redskins as a fantasy football team. Granted he has let up in recent years, but not before damaging the salary cap situation. Washington has crazy dead money going towards the cap.

We also have to acknowledge that silly moves were made after the 10 - 6 season. We had a great team and let many of our top defensive players go without replacing them. I will also admit to hating the Portis trade, not because he is bad, but because we gave up the best CB in football to get him, plus draft picks. Ladell Betts has proven that he was ready to step up, doh! We will not get our hands on another Champ Bailey for ten more years if ever. Add the death of a guy who was already arguably the best Free Safety in football and we are talking about a secondary that would have been an A+ that is now a B/B-.

Washington has some serious needs to fill, we need a General Manager, a CB, a couple top flight WR, a FS, and DL help. The WR and DL were issues last year and we did not upgrade there. Santana is at best a #2 WR, Randall El is a #3, that means we have no #1 WR. McCardell is long in the tooth, and will probably retire after this year, Lloyd was a waste of millions. Thrash is the leader of Special Teams and that is his best role. If we don't get Jason some targets it is going to be rough for a while.

There is a lot to worry about, I believe Washington is about 5 players away from contending, but I am not sure we have the management to find those five players. Until we do, it will be futile for a while.

I can agree with most of that.

You know what's hilarious about the Redskin's receivers? Reche Caldwell. This guy was the number one receiver on the New England Patriots last season and right now he's batting fifth of our six receivers. And he just recently moved above Brandon Lloyd. What was this guy thinking when he signed with the Redskins? Did he really have so few options? Why did we sign him, not use him, sign McCardell (who we use) and finally start using Caldwell about eleven games into the season? It's mind boggling.

I can agree about Clinton Portis. I actually like the guy a lot. He's one of my favorite Redskins and a good running back. Unfortunately, he doesn't fit our running scheme and he was an absurd signing. Gibbs' classic counter trey runs call for a bruiser like Betts (or Duckett who we had briefly last season), not a slasher like Clinton Portis. I'm not sure what we should do with him now. While I enjoy his presence, I'm not sure that he's helping the team or that the team is helping him. I think he could thrive here, but we'd have to go with Saunders calling all the shots. Portis is definitely more comparable to Priest Holmes than Ladell Betts.

It's sad that we all agree that Joe Gibbs has lost it. It almost feels like sacrilege. Who do we turn to if he goes? I think Gregg Williams extension stipulates that he gets first shot at coaching the team when Gibbs leaves. Do we really want that? He wasn't so hot in Buffalo. Some great coordinators just aren't great head coaches (Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Norv Turner! Give him a big round!). And if Williams gets the gig, I think that might mean the end of Saunders as I'm pretty sure he wants to be a head coach and he might be miffed if give it to Williams instead.

I also agree with the way the Cowboys have handled Taylor's death. Romo had very nice things to say and Roy Williams said he's going to wear Taylor's number on his helmet for the rest of the season.

Some people get way too into rivalries. This isn't Boston and New York. Dallas is practically on the other side of the country. And the idea of me rooting against them because they're cowboys and we're Indians is outrageous. Don't get me wrong, I root for Dallas to lose, but not any more so than the Eagles and Giants. And definitely far less than I root against the Patriots these days.

We also have to acknowledge that silly moves were made after the 10 - 6 season. We had a great team and let many of our top defensive players go without replacing them. I will also admit to hating the Portis trade, not because he is bad, but because we gave up the best CB in football to get him, plus draft picks. Ladell Betts has proven that he was ready to step up, doh! We will not get our hands on another Champ Bailey for ten more years if ever. Add the death of a guy who was already arguably the best Free Safety in football and we are talking about a secondary that would have been an A+ that is now a B/B-.

Washington has some serious needs to fill, we need a General Manager, a CB, a couple top flight WR, a FS, and DL help. The WR and DL were issues last year and we did not upgrade there. Santana is at best a #2 WR, Randall El is a #3, that means we have no #1 WR. McCardell is long in the tooth, and will probably retire after this year, Lloyd was a waste of millions. Thrash is the leader of Special Teams and that is his best role. If we don't get Jason some targets it is going to be rough for a while.

There is a lot to worry about, I believe Washington is about 5 players away from contending, but I am not sure we have the management to find those five players. Until we do, it will be futile for a while.

I see what you're saying, but I think the problems wtih their offense don't lie with their WR core, it's the O-line. Granted, Campbell has a stupid throwing motion, but I've seen him get blind-sided too many times this season. With that O-line, he's good for a fumble a game. I think he's close to averaging a fumble a game too.

But back to my wild theory. Gibbs can't possibly be calling the shots anymore. He looked like he was going to hurl at the end of Sunday's game. I don't think he called that extra timeout. Either some idiot special teams guy did it, or it came from upstairs. I just think that they have way too many close games that get botched up by terrible play calling for it to be just a coincidence. We know their offensive coaching staff is solid, and the defense puts in a lot of good work. The only blowout this year happened against New England. Gibbs is gone by the end of the season, and I think that's the way some people in the back office have wanted for a while

I see what you're saying, but I think the problems wtih their offense don't lie with their WR core, it's the O-line.

I will grant you that three injuries to offensive line starters has not helped matters. JJ has played well in the past but has been hurt three of the last four seasons. Randy Thomas going out hurts even more. It has been a rough year on the line. I am never going to even contemplate that Snyder would allow someone to undermine the team. He may be an idiot, but he is an idiot who wants to win, now.

Yeah. All of Snyder's stupid blunders have been in, what he thought, would be the best interest of the team. I can't see any reason why he'd want Gibbs out. Who would he replace him with? Unless he's having secret talks with Bill Cowher or, God forbid, Bill Parcells, I can't think of any coach of Gibbs' caliber that could coach this team.

I think the big problem with Joe Gibbs is that he's stubborn. I think if he's to continue coaching this team, he's going to need to relax, have more faith in Campbell and adapt to the current NFL. Counter treys are not what it takes to win anymore. He stuck with Brunell (who I never EVER EVEEEEEERRRR wanted on the team in the first place, regardless of his few good performances) way too long.

I forgot about the O-Line. That's definitely been a HUGE problem. We have a borderline rookie QB and are a team that relies on the run. We need proper blocking for that to work.

Did anyone see clips of Sean Taylor's funeral? Good God. What a thing to watch. I started crying when LaVar Arrington was up there. If you can handle it, I suggest watching the clips on ESPN.com.

Top Bottom