Sigh. I spent hours yesterday, working to get a Valley Razor Co. (Little Valley, NY) straight razor "shave-ready".
- Lapped my Norton 4K/8K stones, using the Norton lapping stone.
- Over 300 up-and-back strokes on the 4K, but it wouldn't shave any arm hairs.
- Lapped my Norton 1K stone, then 50 up-and-back strokes to re-establish the bevel.
- Another 100 up-and-back strokes on the Norton 4K -- getting sharp.
- Another 50 up-and-back strokes on the Norton 8K -- getting sharper.
- 25 up-and-back strokes on my Spyderco 12K -- (should be) getting real sharp.
No pressure on the blade or spine. No angling of the blade on the stone. No taping of the spine. No joy.