What's new

WOW! Took my first straight shave this morning! Feedback welcome.

Hello Everyone,

I just took my first ever straight shave this morning and man, was it exciting!!! I can't believe I made it through two WTG passes and one XTG pass (with buffing) without drawing any blood. I did wind up with 8 or 9 tiny nicks and some razor burn, but overall, I was really surprised to have made it through virtually unscathed.

I began by prepping with a 5 minute soak, alternating between hot water and Feather Kanwa gell.
I lathered up with an Omega Boar, MWF soap and with a flock of butterflies in my stomach, I picked up my newly acquired, second hand, shave ready, Otto Fromm 72R.

Taking advice from other posts, I started off with an ultra-cautious, WTG on my sideburns and cheeks.
The first few stroke were really terrifying and the fear prevented me from using anything more than 1/4" to 1/2" strokes. Since I drew no blood, I moved on the the jaw line and upper lip. I was pretty surprised by how well it was going so, I felt OK about moving on to my chin and finally, my neck. Wow! First pass completed and no blood!

While rinsing, I noticed that there was a lot more stubble remaining than I would normally have had after one DE pass. But, who cares? This was F 'n A cool!!!

During the first pass, I noticed that the Fromm seemed to have some kind of weird suction going on... it felt like the blade sticking to my face. It was definitely weird but, in a strange way, it felt like it was helping. Maybe, I was keeping the blade too flat against my face? I'd really be interested in seeing if anyone else felt this happen.

I knew, from my first few DE shaves, that it is easy to get over confident so, I maintained the fear level for my second WTG pass. My strokes got a little longer, moving up to 1/2" to 3/4" on the flat areas of my face. After the second pass, I only had a few new, additional nicks and I was beginning to feel my oats! Woo hooooo!!!!

The butterflies in my stomach had disappeared and I was ready to try an XTG pass and felt safe enough to do some buffing. I tried varying the angle a bit and I was surprised that I was able to add a bit of pressure to the strokes while buffing.

After the third, riveting pass, I was pretty exhausted by all the adrenalin and hyper focusing going on so, I finished clearing the remaining stubble with an ATG pass on a slant DE.

My first ever straight shave left me in one piece, but it also left me with what can only be described as a fairly poor shave. While it was fun, I feel that my results should have been better - especially with the buffing.

I’m sure the quality of my shaves will improve with time. I was wondering if you guys had any comments and/or tips for a better shave. Looking forward to your feedback!!!

Last edited:
Well done AjaxLepinski !

Nice description.

I had my first, the fourth this month, an everytime is getting better. Keep on the good work, and keep the respect, as you mention yourself, dont be over confident, I was, and had a little cut/nick/wezzle ? I dont know the difference yet, but like you I am quit new to the subjekt.

Keep up the good work, and let us know your progress.

This answer was a little lame regarding advice, but I should be mistaking if there wasnt a "proof" who is better for the advice stuff than an other novice like me

the best

Richardt

Well done AjaxLepinski !

Nice description.

I had my first, the fourth this month, an everytime is getting better. Keep on the good work, and keep the respect, as you mention yourself, dont be over confident, I was, and had a little cut/nick/wezzle ? I dont know the difference yet, but like you I am quit new to the subjekt.

Keep up the good work, and let us know your progress.

This answer was a little lame regarding advice, but I should be mistaking if there wasnt a "proof" who is better for the advice stuff than an other novice like me

the best

Richardt

Thanks for the feedback and it's good to hear from another novice if only to know that it gets better with each try. It's going to take me a while to get good at it because I won't have time during the work week to muck about with the straight.

It seems you are experiencing the same things we all did. The shaves will improve each time, I'm sure. I haven't experienced the suction with the razor. Sounds like you have it to flat on you face. What I did was, I started with the razor flat then increased the angle till I heard that "scraping toast" sound. Then you know you are taking down some whiskers.

I'm no expert but XTG on the first shave without damage = outstanding technique. I'm in the shallow end of the pool with you. Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow. Nice job.

It seems you are experiencing the same things we all did.

Kind of like when I started DE shaving. Every DE newbie's post sound like exactly what I was going through, except that it took me three weeks before I got my first nick free and razor burn free DE shave. Thanks Rick!!!

proxy.php

Just looked in the mirror... got a visible patch of razor burn, on the left side of my neck, about the size of a pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. It popped up sometime between this morning and now. That's the worst of it but, I can't get over confident!

Last edited:
Watch that pressure! I got the stuck razor syndrome using a gel not cream and mostly due to angle issues. Like full stop wth is going on here back away slowly and abandoned the gel.

I was wondering if you guys had any comments and/or tips for a better shave. Looking forward to your feedback!!!

Easy....keep shaving with the straight. It is like any other aquired skill, the more you do it the better you get at it.

Well Done for your first attempt!

Well done man. Put that slant in a drawer so you're forced to do the whole shave with the straight. That's what I did. As of now, if I don't shave with a straight then I don't shave. Keep it up.

Watch that pressure! I got the stuck razor syndrome using a gel not cream and mostly due to angle issues. Like full stop wth is going on here back away slowly and abandoned the gel.

It was pretty strange having it feel like the razor was stuck to my face not knowing what was going on. I had the blade too flat against my face and I had a really thick, MWF lather squishing out all the air.

Well done man. Put that slant in a drawer so you're forced to do the whole shave with the straight. That's what I did. As of now, if I don't shave with a straight then I don't shave. Keep it up.

Thanks AJ. Now I have to figure out how to keep the blade sharp!

Do you have a strop yet? Before I got mine I would do 50 laps on blue jeans and 50 laps on newspaper. It'll get the job done until you get a proper strop.

In my experience, the feeling of suction is due to lather that's too thick. Many people find that they need to make their lather wetter when using straights.

Do you have a strop yet? Before I got mine I would do 50 laps on blue jeans and 50 laps on newspaper. It'll get the job done until you get a proper strop.

Got a Vintage Blades strop in the mail the day before the Fromm showed up. The strop was under $60 and I got the Fromm from Wid for $53 so, I'm not in the hole that bad. It's the Dovo Bismark that's going to sink my financial ship! I should have waited another month for the Bismark... oh well, better than spending my cash on crack! After looking around, the Vintage Blades strop looked like a good deal, it's got a leather strop and a secondary strop attached that you're supposed to use before you hit the leather. I'm really stoked about learning how to keep it sharp and doing some honing.

In my experience, the feeling of suction is due to lather that's too thick. Many people find that they need to make their lather wetter when using straights.

I think you're right on the mark about the lather being too thick. I was worried about reducing the chance of damaging my face so, I made the lather extra thick. I'll try a normal lather on my next shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom