What's new

new here & advice sought

hello everyone
I'm new here and based in london, Uk.
just to say this is a great forum and I have been learning a lot from reading the posts
and my technique has improved enormously just from practicing what I've read here.
( and it amazes me to think that what I used to call 'shaving' before i discovered BB just was not shaving at all...)
but I'm stuck I just cannot get my throat/neck area smooth, whatever I do
I have small patches of stubble left there - and they are ruining my polo neck pullovers.

I'm using a merkur hd, gillette blue bladesproraso and vulfix brush,
any advice greatfully received

Hello and Welcome!

I still have problems with my neck area from time to time as most people do. The hair seems to grow in all different directions.

My advice would be to study the direction of growth on your neck very carefully. Most people do a three pass routine. With the grain, Across the grain, and finally Against the grain.

You didn't say exactly how many passes you are making now, but if you are using the above technique, then maybe concentrate on getting a better blade angle while shaving your neck area. It just takes a little bit of practice, and then you'll have some BBS shaves!:thumbup:

I agree with Eric.

Here is what I do. Not one, but two N-S passes. Then a pass stroking from each ear to the centerline of my neck. Then a S-N pass. Finally, a partial "touch and cut" pass, where I rub a soapy fingertip all around to find any remaining rough spots and also which direction they feel most raspy in. Then, I put a little lather on each of those spots as I find them and shave them in the direction I just discovered.

Just like you, there are still small spots that seem to resist every effort. But this is about the best you can do.

Tim

hello everyone
I'm new here and based in london, Uk.
just to say this is a great forum and I have been learning a lot from reading the posts
and my technique has improved enormously just from practicing what I've read here.
( and it amazes me to think that what I used to call 'shaving' before i discovered BB just was not shaving at all...)
I have small patches of stubble left there - and they are ruining my polo neck pullovers.

I'm using a merkur hd, gillette blue bladesproraso and vulfix brush,
any advice greatfully received

Consider moving to Australia. It's summer here so you won't need a pullover and by the time winter arrives you'll have your technique sorted and your neck will be a smooth as a 24 year old single malt Scotch whisky :biggrin:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Welcome to B&B!!

So, what have you been doing to fix this problem? (No sense me suggesting you do what you've already tried ... ) But without knowing that, I'd encourage you to try to make sure you are pulling the neck skin taught enough.

Or just quit wearing polo neck pullovers ... :whistling:

Hi and welcome!

What works for me is a fourth "touch-up" pass, which is mainly blade buffing and "J-hooking". It doesn't always work, but that's where my best results come from.

Enjoy!

-Michael

F

FuzzBuster

The neck area is tricky. As previously mentioned, the beard growth may go in many different directions. With gradual stubble reduction, with the grain, across the grain, against the grain and a final touch up feeling for leftover stubble, you stand the best chance of achieving a smooth shave.
Skin stretching and proper blade angle also help alot.
Steve

I'm with the 3 pass shave guys, but I'm not above (as the other previous post said) feeling around and polishing a bit where needed.

I have hair growing in several directions on my neck, up, down, out, in: and it helps to know where it grows that way-- sort of mapping your face in your mind.

For example...a patch just under my ear (over the jugular) grows up and out on one side, down and in on the other. Hence I look absolutely silly on occasions when I've grown a beard!

On those spots, I work to almost look over my shoulder to stretch this, and I make sure my final pass over this is ATG.

We run into this interesting verbal game, where WTG means "down" and ATG means "UP". This might be more or less true, but we all have places where the grain runs slightly askew. ATG means "Against the Grain" whichever way that happens to be.

The 3 pass shave pretty much handles this, except the XTG stroke-- which brings the question, is this from ear to mouth or mouth to ear? Only your face knows for sure.

Strech skin, don't be afraid to do it...and keep in mind that it's very difficult to keep proper razor angle close in under the ear, "ATG" (S-N) on the same side as your shaving hand. (RH/R ear). If you notice you're doing a better job under the ear on your non-dominant side, try switch-hitting and doing just that particular section, with your other hand. It feels strange at first, but a bit of ambidexterity can come in handy if you ever injure your shaving hand or wrist.

ALWAYS, even when polishing, do it over lather. Never dry!

If it's just a matter of protecting the shirt...why not wrap your neck in duct tape?

Good luck!

Top Bottom