What's new

Shoelaces, tied "granny" vs "square"

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When you show a granny-tying customer a better way, you are helping him or her. Letting a customer walk out onto the street blissfully ignorant of the correct way to tie shoelaces makes less waves but does him no favor.

To please your boss and come across better to customers, you might work on the delivery. "May I show you a better and more secure way to tie those laces?" sounds nicer than, "Hey, you're tying your shoes all wrong".

I'm glad I saw this. I just got some shoes with round shoelaces and they kept coming loose. I suspected there was another way to tie them, and now I know. Thanks for posting.

I just got some shoes with round shoelaces and they kept coming loose.

Besides a slipped square knot, running the laces across a candle or a block of paraffin/bees wax then pulling the lace through a cloth wrapped around it will help them grip when tied.

doubled granny was always my technique for short, round laces.

a non-slip square knot on long, military boot laces. square, wrap excess lace around top of boot, squared again and running ends tucked into the boot.

slipped square knot looks hard. :) thanks for that tip.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I use the Granny Knot and always use the simple Criss-Cross Lacing method (boots, shoes ect...). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"You know your'e having a bad day...when your shoelaces conspire against you". CBJ

i know. right? good video, and im going to try it,,, but all he had to say was "go around the loop in the other direction"
im betting this is going to feel awkward using the other hand to push it through.

You can start in the other direction and finish the way you always do too.

Honestly, when I realized there were two different knots, I was in high school already, and it took me months to retrain myself to tie shoelaces with a proper slipped square knot quickly.

Ouch's video of Ian knot forms a proper slipped square knot, but in a slightly different manner. Results are what matter.

Phil

Is it wrong that I use a One-Sided Overhand Bend with Monkey's fists on the end of the laces? Might be too complicated now that I see how y'all do it. LOL

Top Bottom