What's new

BCS College football....

In case anybody here hasn't heard:::

#1 Missouri lost to Oklahoma
#2 West Va. lost to Pitt:confused:

SO, who is it going to be in the championship game?

I'd say Ohio State University will go to #1 and Georgia would go to #2....but I've also heard some talk of LSU going to the big game with OSU....

Any predictions????

PS......Go Buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what will happen, but I'm sure OSU will be in the title game. Beyond that, I really hope Georgia doesn't go. I actually like the team this year and think they have been playing really well lately, but I just think that if you can't even win your conference, no matter how good you are, you don't deserve to get a shot at a national title.

I know Oklahoma got that opportunity after losing the Big 12 championship a few years ago and I think that was bogus too.

As much as I despise Les Miles, I think LSU will leapfrog Georgia, Kansas and VT.

Personally, just using the 'eye test' I think Oklahoma is the best team I've seen this year, having watched them a few times (I have no ties to the Sooners nor am I a fan necessarily). I think if Bradford doesn't get hurt against Texas Tech, they'd have 1 loss and be a lock for the title with Ohio State.

Just my $0.02 (or maybe more).

I know your pain about LSU. I'm watching Sportscenter right now and it seems like LSU will jump quite a few places.....and probably get to be in the game....:blink:

This season has been a rollercoaster ride....and a fun one....it just brings about the fact that, in order to be completely fair...college football needs some type of playoff system, IMHO.

But for me...OSU is going to need all the help they can get...Va Tech, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma....man those teams are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad is a Va Tech fan....and they have a claim to the title as much as some of the other guys....

Ok, I have a huge gripe here. I'm a big VT fan, to start with. And I'm really thrilled with our performance for the most part this season. Although the loss to BC in the first game was a real heartbreaker.

Now, I'm not necessarily claiming we deserve to be in the title game. BUT wait a minute. LSU. Last night, all the pundits are saying "LSU, LSU, LSU." Excuse me, but what about VT? If THEY deserve it, we deserve it more. Ok, we both have two losses. And sure, their's were in overtime. But they were both to UNRANKED TEAMS! Virginia Tech lost two games. To the #1 and #2 team in the country, at the time. Who are #7 and #11 this week. And one of which we came back and gave a sound beating to in a rematch. Yeah, one of those teams was LSU, but a lot has happened since then. We have become a lot stronger, and arguably they have been pretty dodgy.

I also believe we deserve this more than Georgia, for much the same reasons.

If it were me doing the voting, I would put USC in ahead of either LSU or Georgia, also.

-Mo

PS - I will say. If we don't make it, which I doubt we will, I am actually pretty thrilled about our fallback, which it seems will be WVA in the Orange Bowl. Remember, we were in the same conference until a couple of years ago. And they were always a huge rival. UVA is our true history rival, but in the last ten years, this is they only one where they have been a serious challenge. But WVA always was. (That year, 1999, when we made it to the title game, WVA came closer than anyone to knocking us out. Would have, if Michaal Vick and Shayne Graham hadn't worked some honest to God magic in the last 50 seconds.) So of all possible bowl matchups, WVA makes me that happiest, since I've really missed playing them since our move to the ACC. Well, except part of me REALLY wants to play LSU just to show all these idiot pundits that we are the better team.....

...Va Tech, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma....man those teams are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was great last night in the Vt/BC game. There were a couple of times when Boston Collage had >1 yard 3rd and 4th downs they tried to pound up the middle in the usual fashion in that situation, and you just saw their offensive line stood straight up and get pushed back. Nothing doing. You know you've got a good front four when they can just stand up and offensive line like that.

And one the speed thing, yeah. We've got that. Both in our insane defensive backs, and our receivers. Those guys are fast, and have some crazy hands. Glennon is a good passer, but those guys really make him shine. Given how exceptional Matt Ryan is, but with only fair receivers, I couldn't help wondering what he would have looked like passing to those guys instead. I'm betting he would be one of the Heisman frontrunners. (Although, Tebow is a truly amazing athlete. I've never seen anything like it. There have been good dual threat QBs in the past. I mean, for all he is a joke now, Michael Vick was all that behind center. But I've never seen one who a) was as good a passer as Tebow, or b) ran like a fullback, with that kind of straight up the middle, knock guys down, power through tackles strength.)

Well, that was rambling....

-Mo

Good day gents. Well, my team is in conundrum as well. The Jayhawks are number five in the BSC and should get an at large bid for one those bowls. However, with the Misery Tigers losing last night I don't know how the whole top five will shake out. I sure would hate for Kansas to drop out of a BCS bowl with one loss to the eventual number one team in the country. Fingers crossed but I suspect the BSC people will do all they can to keep both KU and MU out of the mix for a BSC bowl. They deserve it but until the programs put together a run of seasons that does not seem a fluke, they will likely take some lumps in the polls.

Regards, Todd

We're on pin and needles here in Ohio waiting to see how it all falls out.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure you guys are in. Not much doubt of that, I think. The real question is who else....

-Mo

Well, the AP is out. (Of course, it doesn't have any direct bearing anymore, but still.)

1. Ohio State (50) 11-1 1,578
2. LSU (11) 11-2 1,519
3. Oklahoma (1) 11-2 1,423
4. Georgia (1) 10-2 1,421
5. Virginia Tech (1) 11-2 1,380
6. USC 10-2 1,346
7. Missouri 11-2 1,195
8. Kansas 11-1 1,164
9. Florida 9-3 1,071
10. Hawaii (1) 12-0 1,050
11. West Virginia 10-2 1,040
12. Arizona State 10-2 939
13. Illinois 9-3 797
14. Boston College 10-3 668
15. Clemson 9-3 614
16. Tennessee 9-4 554
17. Texas 9-3 517
18. Wisconsin 9-3 447
19. Brigham Young 10-2 439
20. Cincinnati 9-3 394
21. Virginia 9-3 344
22. Auburn 8-4 264
23. South Florida 9-3 246
24. Boise State 10-2 221
25. Arkansas 8-4 173

I must say, I am really POed at LSU jumping to #2. They simply don't deserve it. Besides VT, I think either Oklahoma or USC deserves it more. What really gets me is the flipflop with LSU and VT, though. Going into this week VT was ranked ahead of LSU. Yesterday both teams won. Virginia Tech, however, beat a higher ranked team by a bigger margin. Yet suddenly LSU jumps ahead in the rankings. Explain how that makes ANY sense.

Edit. After reconsidering, USC in no way deserves the big game, or even close. They lost to STANFORD. And how many teams did they beat that even had winning records? Two? No. LSU does deserve it more than them.

-Mo

I think a playoff system would be great, especially on year's like this.:drool:

I'm still awful iffy on playoffs, in all honesty. But this is definitely one of those years where you do wish for them. Especially those of us who feel our team has a little bit of a score to settle....

You know, the funny thing is, this year, if we had a small playoff, on the order of six teams, and definitely if it was only four, things are so crazy that an awful lot of people would still be unhappy with who made the playoffs.

-Mo

I'd say Ohio State University will go to #1 and Georgia would go to #2....but I've also heard some talk of LSU going to the big game with OSU....

Any predictions????

PS......Go Buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LSU is much better than Georgia, but they are quite banged up by their long battle through the SEC.

My prediction is Ohio State vs LSU, but the way the BCS works, who knows?

Finally, Roll Tide, even though we went from fairly good to quite bad as the season went on. :redface:

Tim

I think a playoff system would be nice, but it'll never happen because of the university presidents.

I think a +1 system would be better than what we have now. Play all the bowls just like we do now, except that 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. Then the winners play 1 week later for the title.

I know you can still have a gripe about who should be #4 or #5 in this system but to me I don't really care if someone complains that they really deserve to be #4. I do care if someone misses out on a chance at the title because there is debate about #2 and #3.

You either should have a playoff or go back to the traditional bowl relationships. In my mind, sports writers are biased to the teams that they are near. Many of the reporters out east don't even know that there are teams west of the Mississippi.

With a playoff, you sould take the top 8 or 16 teams and get a true national champion. The BCS doesn't want that.

imo, one does not deserve to play for the NC without winning one's conference championship.

i award extra points for winning a conference championship game.

imo LSU and OK are the two best teams and should play for the title.

my prediction is that it will be OSU and LSU.

It will never happen, but I vote Hawaii! Since there is no true playoff it is a shame when a perfect records means nothing.

Randy

It will never happen, but I vote Hawaii! Since there is no true playoff it is a shame when a perfect records means nothing.

Well, yes but....

I'd put money on it that at least six out of the other top ten teams, probably more, would have had perfect records against the teams Hawaii played. It would also be a shame if playing a weak schedule was the way into the big game....

-Mo

I still believe that if you don't have playoffs, and you make decisions based on the w/l column, then the perfect team should get a shot. Weak schedule? Maybe, but since they don't recruit on the same level of playing field as the others, then I discount that.

Randy

As an OSU fan...I'm not even going to touch on the topic of weak schedules........:biggrin:

But I do think that VT and Ga. got kind of robbed....as for Ok....well, they're playing well now, but like USC they didn't always come out strong...I don't think they deserve to be in it..

Top Bottom