What's new

Handwriting samples, pics! Let us see yours.

Here is a sample of my writing. I have just recently started writing in cursive again.
$sample 3.JPG

Well I will have to force myself to stay awake tonight, I hope you guys feel like giving me some good conversation :p
$the nib.jpg

I know it has been a while, but I thought of this thread as I sit here studying for an exam on Tuesday for a class that I haven't quite figured out exactly what the purpose of is..

Anyways, since the teacher speaks super quick, I started reverting to cursive and realized that my actual writing with cursive... is bad, and to put off studying I figured I would replace my current sample with this one. ^_^ These are on college rule. The cursive is written with the EF Lamy Safari (new nib, sooo smooth). Print is done with two different pens. One type is the F Pilot 78G x2, other is an EF Pilot Penmanship that eventually just stopped working on me, but that is another issue. First two are close examples, second two are the full pages. I haven't actually had to use cursive since I was in elementary.. so like 25 years ago (I 'think' I was 4-6 when I first started learning cursive, but not sure if that was out of school or in school, pretty sure I knew it by the time we did it in school).

$close_cursive.jpg$close_print.jpg$cursive.jpg$print.jpg

$IMG_00001079.jpg

I just read through all of this thread, my first venture into the nib. My goodness, this is serious business.

I have a Sheaffer that I bought 15 or more years ago, and is a reliable pleasure to use. I feel sheepish in this company to admit that I just use the Sheaffer black or blue/black cartridges. What I don't ever want is to run out of ink, and I didn't find I got so much writing from the bladder that came with the pen. (Pardon me if it is not called that).

This is part of a page from my journal. Sometimes I can't make out what I wrote, though I can usually puzzle it out. I have been making an effort at consistent style and legibility, without any particular model in mind.

It is a pleasure to join you here.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome to the Nib, T.Orso. It's a pleasure to have you with us!

Nice journal.

Welcome to the NIB T, most of, or at least a lot of us didn't have much in the way of cursivewriting until we popped in this forum, through information and encouraging posts from members we have improved ourselves

I love my sheaffer pen and would like to add more

If improving your handwriting is what your after look to palmermethod.com or iampeth palmer is what most people think of as regular handwriting and there are simple exercises to help with what your already doing and not have to start all over again... if you catch my drift

Otherwise just have some fun and nice to meet you

Welcome to the nib T.Orso. The older Sheaffer converters were a pain to use and I agree that they didn't hold very much ink. Although pumping the 'bladder' four or five times with a pause in between seems to give it that little extra, which usually insures that you can at least sign your name to a letter. The new Sheaffer converter is much easier to use and it can be filled to capacity very fast. The can be leterally had for like 10 bucks.

Sorry about using literally I was reading another thread and the word is literally stuck in my mind, irregardless do enjoy your time here, there's a wealth of information to be had.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I will certainly look for an updated converter soon, though I have still have a large stash of cartridges.

Can you swap one full converter to another without causing an inky disaster? Would I be able to carry a loaded spare?

Not that I know T. But you could carry an ink sample vial that isn't that big and could reload the converter quite a few times

Guess you can see it in the American Blue Eel review a few posts down. I'm very schizophrenic with my handwriting and have been meaning to ask others if they are, too. Hell, I probably have atleast four or five different styles depending on mood, time constraints, whether someone else will be reading it or not, etc. Oddly, my cursive is typically MUCH better than my manuscript.

Not that I know T. But you could carry an ink sample vial that isn't that big and could reload the converter quite a few times

I've seen ink sample vials open easily. They worry me. The small 1oz Nalgene bottles might be a better option, but I'd still keep it in a plastic bag with a paper towel is I was going to carry it around with me. I'm paranoid like that. A lot of outdoor retailers sell them. A piece of silly putty or blu-tack can be used to stick the bottle to a desk to prevent spillage... James. :smile:

-Andy

Attachments

• $NalgeneBottle.jpg
    $NalgeneBottle.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Guess you can see it in the American Blue Eel review a few posts down. I'm very schizophrenic with my handwriting and have been meaning to ask others if they are, too. Hell, I probably have atleast four or five different styles depending on mood, time constraints, whether someone else will be reading it or not, etc. Oddly, my cursive is typically MUCH better than my manuscript.

I was just about to bring this up. From the writing samples, it looks like several people use different personal fonts/scripts. I took a drafting class ages ago, and my dad is a civil engineer. I went through an all caps phase and sometimes write that way now. My normal hand is vertical lettering that's a combination of print and cursive. Some letters are easier for me to print, and some letters, especially in sequence, lend themselves well to cursive. When I attempt proper cursive, it leans to the right. I need to practice that more, as I'm really not happy with it yet.

-Andy

I was just about to bring this up. From the writing samples, it looks like several people use different personal fonts/scripts. I took a drafting class ages ago, and my dad is a civil engineer. I went through an all caps phase and sometimes write that way now. My normal hand is vertical lettering that's a combination of print and cursive. Some letters are easier for me to print, and some letters, especially in sequence, lend themselves well to cursive. When I attempt proper cursive, it leans to the right. I need to practice that more, as I'm really not happy with it yet.

-Andy

:lol:

Yea, I can relate. My father, R.I.P, was a mechanical engineer and practically infamous for his all-caps handwriting; he couldn't even read it half the time. He knew that and sometimes joked, "life's too short for good handwriting".

I'm not much different, but like I said, if you compared some of my handwriting samples side-by-side and really looked deep into them, any psychologist worth their salt would probably diagnose me with any number of disorders :lol: I tend to stray from "Hey, that's nice" to "***?" depending on mood, time, you name it.

Wow. Tiny. Do you study with a magnifying glass?

I've seen ink sample vials open easily. They worry me. The small 1oz Nalgene bottles might be a better option, but I'd still keep it in a plastic bag with a paper towel is I was going to carry it around with me. I'm paranoid like that. A lot of outdoor retailers sell them. A piece of silly putty or blu-tack can be used to stick the bottle to a desk to prevent spillage... James. :smile:

-Andy

Now, now. Don't start James off on another AD (Spill proof bottles), it would ruin lot of the fun we have here in the Nib!
$mohawkkitty.jpg

Top Bottom