What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

My uncle had a old puck of Williams in his bathroom as a decoration with the soap still in the wax paper wrapping. I tried to ask him for the soap but he had a quite a few man sodas at that point. Maybe next time i will get it from them!

Just won this scuttle and puck of Royal London shaving soap on e-bay. Has any one ever tried this soap? $shaving scuttle hot air.jpg

Arko addict, the photo attachments should show up in the thread, without opening them separately. Sometimes there are privileged areas of the forum (like the "Contributors' Corner", unless you contribute $ to the site) which will show a similar error message when you are not allowed in. I seem to recall experiencing some link errors intermittently too. Then the next day they would work. It hasn't happened often or recently so I don't have a specific memory. Hope this helps.

I just found a vintage Colgate puck still in the box at a local antique shop this weekend while picking up an old school Old Spice mug.

Local antique stores are awesome for hunting vintage shaving gear.

Last edited:
This "Royal London Ltd. luxury shave soap" just came in the mail along with a scuttle. The soap is still wrapped in green cellophane. The soap is soft and has a faint smell of old dust and fragrance . Does any one have info on this soap or the company?
$Image0550[1].jpg

This "Royal London Ltd. luxury shave soap" just came in the mail along with a scuttle. The soap is still wrapped in green cellophane. The soap is soft and has a faint smell of old dust and fragrance . Does any one have info on this soap or the company?

Despite - or because of - the name it seems to be a USA company. I think UK law might have had or still have objections to companies calling themselves "Royal". However companies can advertise Royal warrants if they hold any.

The few mentions in google books seem to confirm that. For example http://books.google.com/books?id=c9kDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA114 is in Popular Mechanics from 1983, and shows a Fifth Ave NYC address. The company goes back to at least 1947, and it seems their main business was haberdashery. By 1983 it seems the brand was owned by "Riesco Manufacturing & Import". My guess is they contracted with another company for the soap.

If you open it up, post a photo of the soap. It might resemble something we have seen before.

I just found a vintage Colgate puck still in the box at a local antique shop this weekend while picking up an old school Old Spice mug.

I have been using a vintage Colgate lately, won it in an auction with a couple of other soaps. This is the red box Colgate, no mention of Palmolive, no bar code, no zip code in the address. This soap was marketed as a bottom level soap, comparable to Williams and cheaper than Old Spice by a good bit.
It has been creating a great lather but it did take some time to break it in, about a half dozen shaves before it started to behave the way we would all want a soap to act.

thanks to olschoolsteel for selling his vintage puck of English Leather soap. It was NOS and still in good condition, great lather, perhaps the scent had faded a little.
He points out that, with many vintage soaps, the scent deeper in the soap should come out better with use.
Notice also the change in the saddle logo, to eliminate the crop at some point in time.

View attachment 507162

Hi,

Ah! Very nice shot of some very nice stuff!

I hope to see, one day, someone say 'Brand X soap is just like my vintage Yardley'.....

Stan

Very nice shot of that EL soap Murray, you immortalized it well, especially with an icon like Ronnie in the background, that I could imagine was an EL user himself. (if not Stetson)

Found a complete Yardley's Shaving Soap and Aftershave both unused, soap still has good scent AS smells excellent!! Soaps still in the plastic, I almost hate to use them lol.!

Here is an interesting one, enough soap for a year or two worth of shaves!

$01151453.jpg$01151459.jpg$01151461.jpg$01151463.jpg

The Sienna scent is still intact, though not as strong as a newer version. I believe this was a store display model as I can't find any history of C&E offering a 350g shave soap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom