What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Most reviews I've read about Colgate soap is that it's garbage. I have a few pucks, but never tried it because of all the negative reviews.

If it is Colgate Shaving Mug Soap, it is not good. If the box says Colgate Cup Soap For Shaving, it is the older formula and is excellent.

If it is Colgate Shaving Mug Soap, it is not good. If the box says Colgate Cup Soap For Shaving, it is the older formula and is excellent.

Ah, I do recall hearing something about that before, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Pretty sure what I have is Mug Soap.

The Barber soap is also excellent. It came in a paper roll of 8 pucks and pops up somewhat regularly on that auction site.

Thanks to B&B member TonyJoe for pointing me to the proper thread to post this vintage soap.

Found this King's Men Shaving Bowl and soap a couple of weeks ago, I had intended to just throw the soap away and use it as a cool soap container, but the soap was unused and untouched, was still sealed.

From an old post from B&B forum member KaiserKrebs I found this information:

"The soap is at least from 1945, and was made by King's Men toiletries Ltd. of Los Angeles which apparently was partnered with an English company called Windsor House Ltd. The Los angeles offices were located in the Lincoln building in downtown L.A. and they also had offices in New York, located in the Empire State building. The company still existed into the late 1960's, as I saw an ad for aftershaves that was dated 1966.

At one time in the mid 1940's the decanters and shave bowls were offered in faux gold plating. There were three scents offered, " Thistle and plaid" " Castle Fire" and
" Knight Errant"."

Anyhow - this soap is probably from around the 1940-60's, kinda scary to have lathered it up, but it was rich, thick, the glide was perfect, and it had quite a refreshing, very pleasant smell, I'd almost say it's like Tabac, with all the performance yet a much fresher, invigorating pleasant scent - and I will definitely be using it again.

So here it is...

Gillette Fatboy - Pinaud Clubman

View attachment 603039
View attachment 603040

Last edited:
Most reviews I've read about Colgate soap is that it's garbage. I have a few pucks, but never tried it because of all the negative reviews.

If you or anyone else has any of that "garbage" Colgate soap on your hands that you would like to get rid of, Mug Soap or otherwise, PM me and I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

I picked this up at the local peddlers mall $20151020_203855.jpg$20151020_203905.jpg$20151020_204120.jpgdoes anyone know anything about this? Also, is it normal to just use vintage soaps? Or do people typically just collect them and not actually use them? They had some other vintage soaps in wooden bowls, but they were a bit more expensive, and I wasnt super interested in them if they werent supposed to be used.

I can't read the brand... Is that vintage or is it an artisan soap? Looks artisan.

I think most folks use the vintage soaps they collect. I know I do. Vintage soaps are far better than most soaps offered today.

I can't read the brand... Is that vintage or is it an artisan soap? Looks artisan.

I think most folks use the vintage soaps they collect. I know I do. Vintage soaps are far better than most soaps offered today.

It says "Ensemble A Barbe" on the top of the emblem and "provence sante" in the emblem in the middle. I'm honestly not sure whether it is vintage or artisan. It was with a lot of other very old items, including a lot of soap that was very obviously vintage. It does say made in France somewhere.

The soap imprint is that of Provence Sante, which still makes soap today which looks very much like what you have there. It's hard to say from here if it's vintage or not but it *looks* like soap still in production.

Some folks save vintage soap to collect, and some use it. Personally, it's just soap to me so I'd definitely use it. If you own it, you can do as you wish.

You've got the better of the Colgate soaps, the one that says "cup". My best soaps vintage or otherwise are my three different Yardleys.

$20150923_195933.jpg$20150929_110450.jpg$20150611_114454 (1024x768).jpg
These are without a doubt my best performing soaps, vintage or otherwise. However due to low to non-existent scents ,my Oxford & Cambridge is my favorite soap to use.

My other vintage soaps, although not quite so"vintage" are an Old C&E Mysore Sandlewood and less old C&E Sienna & Nomad, and an old, around 1960's, Culmak

I have a vintage Colgate shaving stick from Europe (Sweden) which I think is excellent. It still has a good, clean scent and does it ever lather nicely.

The only vintage soap I have came with a shaving kit I got in a flea market. This is probably from around 1965, and it has never been used. It's a stick or Erasmic but I have heard really bad reviews about this soap. I haven't tried it yet. I am not sure I will, it's interesting how this thing is now half a century old....

$IMG_1318.jpg

Top Bottom