What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

Some vintage Old Spice was lathered today. It was a brand new mug and puck and I have never tried it before. It still has the scent to it although it does smell a tiny bit musty.

The soap was slightly yellowed on top but that came off when I soaked it for a few minutes. 20 seconds of loading with my Plisson synthetic and it was a super easy bowl lather. The brush is loaded with enough lather to stand on the bristles.

I can see why people like this older soap. When rinsing out my brush it left a "clingy" feeling on my hand similar to what alum does. After drying that hand feels slightly more moisturized than the other. I must test this soap later on.

Pulled out the vintage Colgate stick again today, shown with an old (British) print ad.

$image.jpg

So I test lathered some Weldon/Renleigh supposedly from the 40's/50's.

The pucks:

I let a puck soak for a few minutes at a time for a few times just to get anything washed off of it. The water all came off yellowish.

After soaking and loading the brush

And after some lathering.

It easily lathers in my hard water and is pretty slick. After bowl lathering I did a bit of a palm lather just to get a feel for the soap. It left a "clingy" residue/feeling when I washed it off and rinsed my brush. Oddly my palm and fingers feel kind of tingly right now. It might be a reaction to the soap.

The smell was alright, a classic "grandpa" kind of smell and a little bit musty due to age.

Hi,

I recall Yardley quite fondly from back in the days when it sat on the shelves of the local Rexall (also gone)....mmmmmmm....

Stan

got to shave with yet another vintage soap, this one a lucky auction grab.
vintage hershey cocoa butter shave soap. my guess, circa 1950's. Here is a history article.
4 oz puck comes in a metal tin and had signs of cracking due to age.
I soaked it in warm water for an hour before shaving.
Loaded the badger brush heavily and added water liberally.
Result was an exceptionally rich, thick, buttery shave lather.
If any scent, a mellow roasty scent, perhaps from the toasted cocoa beans.
I re-lathered, with a couple drops of tobacco essential oil and a couple of mentholated glycerine, just for fun.
Shave was great, lots of glide. The lather thinned just a drop but retained slickness.
If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to pif a sample sliver.

proxy.php

I found this tin in an antique store today. I was not expecting to find it full of soap though. When I did a test lather and it seems to work up okay. I'll have to give to a try with tomorrows shave.

$Shave Soap 002.jpg$Shave Soap 004.jpg$Shave Soap 003.jpg

vintage hershey cocoa butter shave soap. my guess, circa 1950's. Here is a history article.
I re-lathered, with a couple drops of tobacco essential oil and a couple of mentholated glycerine, just for fun.
Shave was great, lots of glide. The lather thinned just a drop but retained slickness.

I found this tin in an antique store today. I was not expecting to find it full of soap though. When I did a test lather and it seems to work up okay. I'll have to give to a try with tomorrows shave.

Nice finds gentlemen! I had the Hershey's on my watch list but was away from my phone when the auction ended. Got any more pictures you could share?

proxy.php

I would like to try a sample. If you like I could send a sample of the Williams powder back to you.

shaved yesterday with vintage mentholated Williams.
Nice shave, but could not detect any menthol.
Naturally finished with vintage AV!
Cheers!

$menthol williams omega universal aqua velva vintage march 24 2015.jpg

Just found this vintage soap stick. The containeer is labelled "Ready". I cannot find any info on it. I will just have to use it and see if it still works.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Just found this vintage soap stick. The containeer is labelled "Ready". I cannot find any info on it. I will just have to use it and see if it still works.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here is a green Palmolive-Colgate soap. I have not been able to find any pictures or information about this vintage soap. Also note the Black Horse Logo on the Package, I could not find any reference to it. Several posts mentioned that it could be rare so here it is, enjoy

View attachment 565465View attachment 565466
Great scores, Gentlemen!

Top Bottom