What's new

Making Corned Beef

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Well, I've decided to try my hand at curing a corned beef. I am following Alton Brown's recipe. I also read Jim's Happy St. Patty's thread on how he made it. (who knew flat from point?).

But in my search for all my ingredients I hit the wall at saltpeter. Went to the local market and there was none. When I made an inquiry at the courtesy desk, I was met with hesitation as to why I would want such a product. Another supermarket and another suspicious inquiry.

Called several pharmacies and they wanted to know what I needed it for or how do you spell saltpeter (oh that's easy P-O-T-A-S-S-I-U-M N-I-T-R-A-T-E. Hello? Hello?). Another call to another pharmacy and after being put on hold I was told they don't have it and they can't get it.

Finally, I thought: where can I get something that no one seems to have, is banned in several countries, has quelled the libido of men on the high seas for centuries and is utilized in making explosives?

I know. When you need anything from weaponry to patio furniture there is only one place to go.... Amazon.

And there it was was. How much do you want? 4 oz.? One pound? 5 pounds?

Anyway, after some more reading I ended up getting 1 lb. of Instacure #1. When it arrives, let the brining begin!

I'll update with some pics during the process as well as the finished product.

P.S. in Alton Brown's How to Make Corned Beef video on YouTube there is a funny sketch between Alton Brown and his pharmacist when attempting to purchase saltpeter. I saw it after my experience and had a nice laugh since it had a ring of truth that I could relate to.

Last edited:
fess up....you're making your own gunpowder aren't you?

I could have gotten you a handful, was in Tennessee a few weeks ago and we went to some caves, and in one they made a lot of gunpowder.

I have cured my own Canadian Bacon but never any corned beef. I look forward to seeing your results.

I have taken commercial Corned Beef and seasoned and smoked it for pastrami and it was wonderful!

I have a local butcher that makes their corned beef in house and they don't use saltpeter... I enjoy the color it brings to the party but I honestly don't miss it and neither do my guests. :)

I had a heck of a time finding pink curing salt in town, but there's a local spice shop that carries it. I like the color, and I like not serving up a big slab of botulism on rye.

I've done corned beef without pink salt and it's fine. It's grayish rather than pink, but tastes delicious all the same. It's salty enough that botulism is very very unlikely, and I've read several recipes (including Julia Child's) that list it as optional.

But either way is fine.

The pink salt (or the longer-acting Pink Salt #2) are really necessary for dried or air-cured sausages like salamis. The corned beef goes right from the fridge/salt to the cooker, but air curing is another thing.

If you're into pastrami, try that too. Serious goodness.

Next you'll do bacon. IT NEVER ENDS I TELL YOU THE GOODNESS OF MEAT.

Are you following Alton Brown's recipe exactly? I have that episode of Good Eats saved on my DVR because after seeing Jim's, I wanted to Corn my own for St. Patties day!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I intend on following Alton Brown's recipe exactly. I'll see how that works out and after that I'll start to tinker with it

Top Bottom