What's new

Making Corned Beef

Bob, you may want to consider doing a soak for 24 hours in plain water before the cook. How do you plan on cooking it?

Bob, you may want to consider doing a soak for 24 hours in plain water before the cook. How do you plan on cooking it?

What is the purpose of brining? I do it on Turkeys, but I always have it in the back of my head that if I rinse it too throughly after the brine, that I am undoing what I just did. And the flip side is that if I don't do it throughly enough, the meat/gravy tastes too much of salty brine.

-jim

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"

From the recipe:

After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water by 1-inch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Remove from the pot and thinly slice across the grain.

Jim, why do you think a 24 hour soak as opposed to a rinse under cool water would be beneficial?

No need to rush a response, I have 9 more days of brining. :wink:

From the recipe:

After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water by 1-inch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Remove from the pot and thinly slice across the grain.

Jim, why do you think a 24 hour soak as opposed to a rinse under cool water would be beneficial?

Wow, your going to be hungry!

-jim

What is the purpose of brining? I do it on Turkeys, but I always have it in the back of my head that if I rinse it too throughly after the brine, that I am undoing what I just did. And the flip side is that if I don't do it throughly enough, the meat/gravy tastes too much of salty brine.

-jim

From the recipe:

'Cause that's what Nona did?
I do because I find it does remove some of the saltiness from the meat. As far as pulling the brine out, I have not seen that happen.The chemical changes that happen in the cells of the meat are not easily undone as I understand it.

I like a slow as possible simmer/braise on the meat so you should be looking fine.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I pressure cook my store bought McCoys corned beef like my grand mama taught me.

Any opinion that a non pressurized cook is better?

I was thinking we should talk about Mustard a little. What are you thinking Bob? I vote for Colman's prepared mustard.

proxy.php

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I was thinking we should talk about Mustard a little. What are you thinking Bob? I vote for Colman's prepared mustard.

proxy.php

Since he's making his own corned beef, I think it's only fitting he make some homemade mustard to go with it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Since he's making his own corned beef, I think it's only fitting he make some homemade mustard to go with it.

I'm thinking sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese and russian dressing. And, I'm thinking about it a lot. :eek:

Just turned the corned beef over. Heading into Day 3.

What are you going to put that meat, pickle, sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese and russian dressing on? Better get baking.

-jim

Top Bottom