What's new

Making Corned Beef

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I see from my tracking information that the Instacure #1 should be arriving today. Time to make the corned beef. :yesnod:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a mental block as to which is the point and flat. I can't seem to come up with a mnemonic to help.

Thank goodness for our 'buy both' philosophy.

pink salt? who would have thunk it. 5 tsp for 25lb of meat doesn't seem like a lot of salt. Is there more regular salt involved?

-jim

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
  • Here is the recipe. AB calls for a piece of brisket of approx. 4-5 pounds. What do you gents suggest? 10lbs?
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons saltpeter
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 8 whole cloves
  • 8 whole allspice berries
  • 12 whole juniper berries
  • 2 bay leaves, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 pounds ice
  • 1 (4 to 5 pound) beef brisket, trimmed
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped

Last edited:
I decided to address this issue by adding two tablespoons of pickling spice which includes all of the aforementioned items plus coriander. Thanks Jay.

good call

I am eagerly awaiting the results.

is there a link to the recipe and instructions. as a 'foodie' I consider myself a crappy cook, but I definitely don't let it stop me from trying. try to make kielbasa annually - usually wait until hunting season when my friends have more venison than they know what to do with.

corned beef tho... ooh, I've subscribed and looking forward to trying this at home!

and again in wonderful B&B fashion, if 4lbs are good, 40lbs is definitely better!! Plus you can PIF it to your B&B friends!! wink wink

lmao

looking forward to the results/pics etc etc

damn, now I'm hungry.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Brine is done. I am going with 4 pounds as I am too lazy to go out to the market for more brisket.

So, 9/22/12 is the first day. I will turn it over every day or so and after 10 days I will continue with the cooking on October 2nd.

Now I am waiting for the return of my shoes that are being restored by Alden and waiting for the corned beef to brine. If someone tells me that the corned beef tastes like shoe leather, I'll know I got confused. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom