What's new

Get ready for a ton of questions, I just bought a Straight and Strop

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
worst case scenario, i use the Boker to open my DE and shave parcels that come to the office and use the strop as decoration in the bathroom, so people think I actually use a straight.

Few people know what a razor strop is anymore. Probably guests in your house will assume it is just what you use to beat the wife and kids. I would put it away if it isn't being used.

Few people know what a razor strop is anymore. Probably guests in your house will assume it is just what you use to beat the wife and kids. I would put it away if it isn't being used.

It actually looks more like some S&M device, with the rivets and black leather and all.

Hopefully it will be used for its intended purpose by me.

I was bored a while ago, wet face with hot water, preshave oil and put on some slick KMF with my hand and did a cheek. No pulling, no tugging and actually cut a few whiskers off (I'm not do for a shave till morning). So things are looking up for now.

Used a bit more angle and had no issues.

you will have a few ups and down in the first week or two. Just relax and enjoy the learning curve.

yeah, i figured as much..

but it's more fun to go from one extreme to the other...1 day i love it, then next day it's a box cutter. :001_rolle who knows what tomorrow will bring, but hopefully a 1/2 decent pass WTG to start my day, at least my cheeks.

got to remember, PULL skin tight

It takes time. More than two weeks, I'm afraid. With continued perseverance and dedication, though, things do start to click in. And the reward is most enjoyable--knowledge of a technique. Keep at it!

Last edited:
Patience is key. If you rush you stop having fun. I know from experience. I learned straights the second time around and yes I regret selling my original gear on BST.

Good luck. I'm still enjoying it after about 3 weeks. It's definitely not DE quality consistently but it sure is fun. What is intersteing is that when I make a pass that I'm sure is razor burn, it usually isn't. Unlike with my DE when I did that it would be worse than I thought. Bizarro shaving universe I've entered.

I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Keep us posted.

i've stated a journal HERE, and will update that thread when i shave...

when i have flat out questions, i'll ask them in here or off someone elses thread, as most have already been asked, after all, i know i'm not the 1st person and won't be the last to go through these trials and tribulations.

i know you've been there and done that....If Sam can do it, I can too :001_cool:

Good luck. I'm still enjoying it after about 3 weeks. It's definitely not DE quality consistently but it sure is fun. What is intersteing is that when I make a pass that I'm sure is razor burn, it usually isn't. Unlike with my DE when I did that it would be worse than I thought. Bizarro shaving universe I've entered.

yes, I noticed after i did a pass with the straight, i thought for sure i'd be all red, hacked up etc, but there was nothing. then when i took my DE with a gillette Yellow in it, it sailed over it.

i know many say your DE get's better as you start straight shaving, and it seemed to improve even during the mixed shave. when i did a pass with the DE, it felt like butter. not sure if it was all in my head or that i was stretching the skin still or what, but the overall shave was quite enjoyable.

i know many say your DE get's better as you start straight shaving, and it seemed to improve even during the mixed shave. when i did a pass with the DE, it felt like butter. not sure if it was all in my head or that i was stretching the skin still or what, but the overall shave was quite enjoyable.

I actually just had a similar experience a couple days ago. I finished up with my DE to get BBS, and I noticed I paid more attention to the blade angle and how it felt as I went along. There's definitely a sweet spot for the angle on my DE89, and if you hit that, it's smooooooooooth.

great setup but get a practice strop 4 u will more than likely cut one learning. and that strop is too pretty 4 that. tom

Top Bottom