What's new

First shave with my new 2011 Muhle R41 Grande

I've been wetshaving since the early eighties. I had always used the same open comb Hoffritz razor I inherited from my grandfather, and a badger brush I bought in college. Recently, I tried a straight razor for the first, and then second times. Searching for how to get the straight sharpened was how I stumbled upon the online wetshaving underground, and I consider myself fully committed.

Partly due to the AD brought on by joining this forum, and partly because the chrome is starting to come off the head of the Hoffritz, I started looking for a new DE to replace it. I was torn between the EJ 89 11 and the Muhle R41 grande. I knew from what I'd read about them that ultimately I wanted to try both, but the question was, which first.

As anyone reading probably knows, the R41 gets a rep as very aggressive, while some find the EJ89 a tad mild. Coming from an open comb, I figured I could jump off the deeper end and start with the R41.

It arrived Thursday. It's lovely. The plating seems especially good. I like its heft, too, and the fat feeling of the long handle, which contributes to an overall sense of balance.

I've also been experimenting with new blades and soaps. I bought about six different brands, again based on what I'd read, on a recent trip into New York, where I was able to tear myself out of Pasteur's Pharmacy after a comparatively short eternity browsing. I had been using Wilkinson Swords and VDH soap, simply because that's what I could find locally. So far I'd only got as far as the Derbys in my DIY sample pack, but they were a definite step up from the Wilkinsons. Smoother, a bit sharper, and easily a better shave.

I popped the Derby that came with the R41 into the head and had to take a breath. Now I understood what people meant by aggressive: the R41 presents a lot more blade than does my Hoffritz. It looked like it did not belong in the wrong hands. Maybe mild would have been the better end of the pool to jump into.

Steeling my reserve, I reminded myself of my recent SE experience; how well that had gone. I lathered up and set to work.

From the first stroke, I knew that I had been missing something all these years. The feedback was immediate; this baby sang. My whiskers seemed just to melt away in the path of the avenger. One pass, baby's ***.

Then it cut me. Just a little weeper on my left cheek. I figured I must've let excitement and nerves get the better of me, and shaved on. The area below the corners of my mouth, just above the chin was a revelation. Normally it's three passes to get the shadow down. The Muhle just laughed at it.

It may have laughed a little too hard. I got another weeper above my adam's apple, and a couple toward the top of my moustache, one on each side. Cold water stopped these, but I felt I'd been bested by the brute in my hand.

I'll try again, but as a first impression this razor has left me with a mixture of awe, fear and admiration.

Last edited:
The Muhle R41 Grande is my current razor of choice also.

I initially went with the sharper blades from my stash, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. It would have been better to use milder blades first until I got used to shaving with the Grande.

Now, however, I am using Israeli Personna Blades with it and after 2 passes and some jawline buffing, I'm good to go. Since using this razor, I
I can use any of my adjustable Gilletttes set on 9 and they feel like just a mild razor. Eventually, I will return to loading it with the sharper blade spectrum to see if my need for jawline blade buffing goes away.

Stick with it and all that will remain is awe and admiration-plus, lots of shave stubble in the sink!

The R41 is one fine DE, but it requires a really light touch. It might take you a few shaves to get use to it, but once you get it down the shaves can't be beat by any other DE.

I felt I'd been bested by the brute in my hand.

I'll try again, but as a first impression this razor has left me with a mixture of awe, fear and admiration.

Monsieur,

I purchased the R101, which is a R41 head on a Black Resin handle. I have only been DE shaving for two months, but I bought my Muhle after only two weeks. I am also a head shaver and I did not DE my face and cart my head. I was all in. I went from a Gillette TTO to a Gillette New OC to the R101 in two weeks, so my road to wet shaving is definitely paved in blood. I have since tamed the beast and I am currently trading a Merkur 15c for another R101. I want to put a Tradere handle on it and have two R41 heads in my rotation. I absolutely love this razor. I have cleaned up the Gillette New and put it away and I gave away the TTO to introduce my friend to DE shaving. I have found my daily shaver and my AD will consist of getting more 2011 R41 heads and mating them with different handles. I can not speak for the soap that you use. I have found I like the Proraso creams and I just bounce back and forth between green and red. I do recommend you try a Feather once you get the hang of her. I also like the Polsilver. Some of the other blades that get a lot of recommendations here I did not like in the R41 head. Give her some time and focus on no pressure when shaving and she will treat you right. I have also just took the plunge into "cold water shaving". Wow! I find it absolutely fantastic and It cuts down on the weepers. You are right, the R41 gets a bad rap. This razor is NOT for everyone. There is a price for learning to shave with a R41, and that price is blood. However, once you pay your dues and perfect the pressure and angle you will get a shave that can not be matched as far as I'm concerned. Best of luck and good shaves to you.

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday I shaved with the R41 a second time. I did three passes, and went back to touch up a couple areas, so I was much more aggressive with my technique on this go round. Also, I used a newly arrived Astra SP for this shave. Based on the results, I think the learning curve for the R41 might not be so steep as I'd thought. I still got a couple weepers, but they stopped more quickly. And I felt a slight burn on my cheeks, but had little or no redness to show for it. And my GF says this may be the closest shave yet, including the SE shave I did a while back (admittedly, that was my second ever with a straight).

This won't be news to other R41 shavers, but what really seemed to help this time was lightening up on my touch, as noted above.

One thing I can say: this razor has not yet cured the AD brought on by my visits to this forum. I still plan on trying an EJ89 - just so I'll know the difference, first hand. And even then, i think all this upgrading is ultimately leading to more regular use of a straight edge. Oh, and then there's my brush . . .

Last edited:
i bought on muhle r41 grande today,after saw on youtube mr. shavnation using one.
i currente use a futur an merkur 23c, parker 99r as well.
waiting for the madmachine, jason returns,criminalminds,etcc.ehehehehe
i'm a surgeon since 1993,head and neck..soft touch..lets wait.... $4955pensativo.jpg

Top Bottom