What's new

Magic Shaving Powder: what IS it/ what do you do with it?

To my understanding its a depilatory powder, pretty much Nair for your face. You mix the powder with some water, rub it in, and then take the cream off with a spatula or something. It also seems to be marketed towards people that get problems with ingrown hairs and razor bumps a lot. I would never put this stuff on my face though...nothing beats the sensation of a sharp blade smoothly gliding over your skin.

To my understanding its a depilatory powder, pretty much Nair for your face. You mix the powder with some water, rub it in, and then take the cream off with a spatula or something. It also seems to be marketed towards people that get problems with ingrown hairs and razor bumps a lot. I would never put this stuff on my face though...nothing beats the sensation of a sharp blade smoothly gliding over your skin.

That's exactly what this is. I used it a few times in college to try to prevent ingrown hairs. It's commonly used by African American men. I found it to be very messy and not good to use.

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT ON YOUR FACE!!!

It burned the hell outta you if you leave it on too long & also scar your face. Your face is too precious for this. Believe me you'll thank me.

Now if you wanna use it on your body hair that's fine but NOT your face.

I use it for my body only because i do not like hair on my body. For this it works great but it still burns the hell outta me if you leave it too long, left some scars too over the years.

But please take my advice do not use this product on your face!!!

Here's a story of a guy who used Nair on his head...
Okay, so.

A few years ago, I was tiring of the constant need to shave my head. I love having it shaved, but sometimes I just get lazy -- and if you leave it for too long, it will get to this stage where it's too long to shave with a razor, and too short to effectively use an electric trimmer on.

So anyhow, one time I left it until it was about a 1/8th of an inch long, and I decided that I wanted to try using Nair on my head, in the hopes that it would give me a few more days between shavings. In addition to a really clean "shave". I went and got some that looked good.

I followed the directions to the letter, minus the "try a little spot first" thing.

I put on a nice this layer all over my head, and worked it in really well. Then I waited the 12-15 minutes or whatever that the package said to do. Then I did the whole rinsing thing... and it seemed to work pretty well, but had missed a lot.

"Oh well" I though, "I guess I'll just do another application."

I lathered it all up again, all over, and it was about a minute before my head started to burn really badly. I quickly rinsed my head off in the shower and got all of it off.

My head was pretty red and raw, but there were also still several patches of hair left! I couldn't leave it like that! The hairs were still too long to shave with my Headblade, so I had to take my electric shaver and run it all over my head to get rid of all the hairs. Then I was left with, essentially, several patches of not-as-closely-shaved areas amongst all the properly Nair'd places.

So... I then covered my head with shaving cream and took my headblade to it.

The good news is that I got a really good shave. I mean, there wasn't a sign of hair anywhere to be seen. Also, I managed to do all of this without cutting myself.

The bad news was that instead of a cut I had managed to chemically and razor..ly end up with a head that was one, big, throbbing razor burn. I mean, it was glowing red and hot. I was feeling lightheaded and my ears were ringing.

Then I did the most ridiculous thing of all.

What do you do if you just shaved? Why, you put on aftershave of course!

I splashed a bunch on my hands, and started rubbing it into my head.

The pain hit so hard and so fast that my knees buckled and I collapsed to the bathroom floor in a heap.

Never. Again.
http://www.forumopolis.com/showpost.php?p=582336&postcount=33

yeah, shaving is just too much fun to use one of these products... tried the nair for my head about 15 years ago... it was a very similar experience to the post a few above... sucked!

Being careful here...in my time in the Navy, I saw many African American men who had difficulty with ingrown hairs. The facial hair was curly and would simply turn over, digging back into the skin almost immediately, leaving bumps. The condition was called "pseudofolliculitis" which was probably Navy-speak for "Yo, man...you've got ingrown hairs." Shaving simply didn't work for some of these friends of mine, and the bumps would get painful-- shaving over them was like shaving over a pimple; you'd either shave around it and never really take care of the problem, or you'd shave through it, and make it bleed.

I think that's where the powder came in. I recall watching a friend use that, appyling it with a wooden spatula-type thing. I remember the smell was awful and it took awhile. And it hurt. This guy was a weight lifter, arms as big as my thighs-- he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said "You better thank God that you can just shave and not mess with this stuff."

So I'm sure it has a useful purpose, but after watching it work, I AM thankful that I don't tend to get ingrown hairs, but I guess if I had them and I could get rid of them with this product, I'd be forced to use it.

Top Bottom