What's new

Opinions on MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre?

Curious if people still like these or prefer other "vegetarian" brushes or animal hair brushes? I would ideally like to find a good "vegetarian" brush. Currently have a horse hair brush.

If you bowl lather the Muhle's are fine, but IMO the lofts are way to high to get the backbone for face lathering. I have a 25mm knot I custom set at 53mm, and its great. At the stock loft of ~60mm I found them to be too floppy. I think HIS brushes have a little more backbone at stock loft, and they are half the price.

People have also been getting custom Frank Shave synthetics that look wonderful. I dont have one yet, but they get great reviews, and I'm trying to acquire one.

Where do you think are the best places to buy the HIS brush and Frank Shave synthetics?
It would be my first synthetic brush so I would like quality but not super expensive.

The only place to get a HIS is Amazon for the moment, and for the FS you have to email the maker. I dont have the email handy, but I'm sure someone can PM it to you. Both are $25~30 shipped so the cost (and cost difference) is minimal.

i use this brush for face lathering as well, I use it most of the time now.
can't say enough good things about it. I can't wait to see what the next generation of these synth brushes are going to be like.

I use my 21 mm Stylo Thuja Wood STF for face lathering and it works awesome.
I use my 25 mm Classic STF for applying my canned goo of shaving Gel, and it does a perfect job of that - instant lather creation all over my face in 2 swirls :thumbup:

Bought the 25 mm STF especially for when I use canned shaving gel. I just like to apply it with this brush instead of with my fingers.

I use mine for face lathering. Works fine for me. Haven't wanted to purchase a new brush.

Same here. Haven't used anything else besides Silver Tip Fibre for face lathering for the better part of the last 18 months, haven't wanted or needed another brush all that time.

I have the 23mm, works well bowl and face lathering, starting to think however that it may be nicer if the loft was shorter.

All the talk is about the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, but for me the Black Fibre far outshines it. I don't think there is another synthetic that is similar to the Black Fibre. It is certainly worth the extra cost which is only about $25-30 more when compared to more of the same from Frank and HIS. Still extremely cheap compared to badger brushes that it can completely destroy in a lather making contest.

All the talk is about the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, but for me the Black Fibre far outshines it. I don't think there is another synthetic that is similar to the Black Fibre. It is certainly worth the extra cost which is only about $25-30 more when compared to more of the same from Frank and HIS. Still extremely cheap compared to badger brushes that it can completely destroy in a lather making contest.

How would you compare the softness of tips on the Silvertip Fibre versus the Black Fibre?

I have the 23 and the 25 mm Muhle Silvertip Fibers and they work great.

You may see our recent posts here on B&B and also on Sharpologist?
http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/synthetic-hair-shave-brushes-part-1.html

There is also a black fibres, which I think needs a better handle and some more density.
It is a very nice, soft and effective brush though!

I know member Codfish (a renowned synth expert himself) is working with Muhle to get a Kosmo Black Fibers.
That should be a phenomenal brush!

Last edited:
How would you compare the softness of tips on the Silvertip Fibre versus the Black Fibre?

Can I chime in?

I am not sure the black fibers are in itself softer tipped than the silvertip fibers.
The brush itself is very luxurious, soft with enough firmness - but that effect could one contribute to the medium dense / higher loft set up also.

It sure is a lather monster, as are most of the new gen synths!

Last edited:
Curious if people still like these or prefer other "vegetarian" brushes or animal hair brushes? I would ideally like to find a good "vegetarian" brush. Currently have a horse hair brush.

If you are a true environmentalist (and/or animal rights activist) the only acceptable brush is, in my opinion, no brush at all.
You are better off using brushless creams (KMF or similar) or shaving oil and be happy. Nothing wrong with that.
While travelling, and sometimes testing, I use a Muhle synthetic (Silvertip fibre) and I am not impressed.
My advice, save your money and trouble and go brushless.

Last edited:
If you bowl lather the Muhle's are fine, but IMO the lofts are way to high to get the backbone for face lathering. I have a 25mm knot I custom set at 53mm, and its great. At the stock loft of ~60mm I found them to be too floppy. I think HIS brushes have a little more backbone at stock loft, and they are half the price.
I face lather almost exclusively and think the Muhle STF brushes are excellent for that purpose. I also have two Blask Fiber brushes. They are less dense but also do a terrific job. The H.I.S. brush has great density and backbone, but is a little larger than the 23mm size that is my personal preference in brushes.

I face lather almost exclusively and think the Muhle STF brushes are excellent for that purpose. I also have two Blask Fiber brushes. They are less dense but also do a terrific job. The H.I.S. brush has great density and backbone, but is a little larger than the 23mm size that is my personal preference in brushes.

Jim! Any news on that Kosmo Black Fibers?
Or did I miss that?

I have both the 23 mm Silvertip and 21 mm Black Fibre. The Silvertip I use almost exclusively for hard soaps and face lathering, the Black Fibre for creams lathering in an Ikea steel mug. I like the way as both produce quickly large amounts of lather.

Top Bottom