What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

I'm only into my 4th week of DE shaving. I started with a Proraso green lathering in a bowl which I like to keep warm in my sink. I just got a La Toja stick to use when I travel and decided to test it before I really need it. I decided to keep my routine and I just used the stick directly on my wet badger brush and lather in the bowl. I thought I didn't have enough soap on my brush but wow, I got a great lather enough for multiple passes. Another successful shave. Next I want to try face lathering since I doubt I will have bowl when I travel. I'm waiting for a synthetic brush and a Remei razor to add to my travel bag.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mystery Stick 1 is Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood.

I am not a huge fan of Sandalwood to start with but this one is more soapy than woodsy. The first lather was too wet a bit but it still worked very well. I am looking forward to the next 29 shaves!

Attachments

• $SANY6974 (532x800).jpg
    $SANY6974 (532x800).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 483
  • $SANY6976 (800x677).jpg
    $SANY6976 (800x677).jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 484
  • $SANY6975 (800x468).jpg
    $SANY6975 (800x468).jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 481
Good choice, Luc. I have never tried that one.

Is there an ingredient list? I found this online, but I am not sure if it is correct.

Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Myristic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum. (Parfum contains: Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Oak Moss Extract, Tree Moss Extract.)

Are you able to add it to the wiki? Right now I think we only have the page for TOBS_St_James_Collection_Shaving_Stick, and that one is incomplete.

I'd like to put in a word for Ogalalla's Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns stick.
I think the scent is wonderful and I like its performance too.

Luc

Staff member
Good choice, Luc. I have never tried that one.

Is there an ingredient list? I found this online, but I am not sure if it is correct.

Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Myristic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum. (Parfum contains: Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Linalool, Oak Moss Extract, Tree Moss Extract.)

Are you able to add it to the wiki? Right now I think we only have the page for TOBS_St_James_Collection_Shaving_Stick, and that one is incomplete.

The page was already in Wiki. I was going to create one but found it as I typed the name. I re-bump the category and it should be back now.

I have the same ingredient list that you quoted except that I don't have that much details in the Parfum bit.

I'd like to put in a word for Ogalalla's Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns stick.
I think the scent is wonderful and I like its performance too.

I might get to that one, however, spoiler alert, my other 2 mystery sticks are not Ogalalla...

Luc

Staff member
I'm adjusting slowly to the water/product ratio. I use a good amount of product at the moment and not much water. The product feels greasy before I use it (lots of fat in the soap) and it lathers very well. I have a tub of TOBS St James that I will use to compare the lather. From memory, the cream is better than the soap in this case but I will compare those side by side during the 30 shaves.

Interesting Luc. I've always heard mediocre to bad reviews on TOBS soap so looking forward to hearing your take on the stick.

I really enjoy this thread and have become a convert to sticks. I'm almost a week in using a puck of the new formula AOS unscented as a stick and it's working really well. I'd put it up there with the Wilkinson stick at this point. Both are in a very small group of soaps I've used that leave my face feeling so good I don't really need an after shave. If you're looking for anything to add to your list of stuff to try, I'd like to hear your take on it.

Last edited:
This is the thread that inspired me to make my own Cella Shave Stick from my kilo brick. :thumbup:

It took about 30 seconds to do and it is my favorite way to shave now. It is what I exclusively use!

Loving the continual updates and reports. Thank you!

This is the thread that inspired me to make my own Cella Shave Stick from my kilo brick. :thumbup:

It took about 30 seconds to do and it is my favorite way to shave now. It is what I exclusively use!

Loving the continual updates and reports. Thank you!

I made my first Cella shave stick about a year ago when I was going on a trip that would keep me out for two weeks, I took along another shave stick but never used it once I tried the Cella.

Luc

Staff member
Next update coming soon gents, I've been testing the TOBS shave cream against the the stick intensively...

Luc

Staff member
I finally got the camera tonight and took some pictures of the TOBS Sandalwood after 15 shaves. The bottom of the stick broke. I was able to pop it back in but I don't think it likes having the stick taken out every now and then...

Attachments

• $SANY6988 (800x657).jpg
    $SANY6988 (800x657).jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 285
  • $SANY6989 (800x631).jpg
    $SANY6989 (800x631).jpg
    262 KB · Views: 286
  • $SANY6990 (800x583).jpg
    $SANY6990 (800x583).jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 287
  • $SANY6991 (800x591).jpg
    $SANY6991 (800x591).jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 287

Luc

Staff member
I posted a Tabac Stick in the last post as the Tabac Cap fits on the TOBS but not the other way around. The threading seems different a bit. The Tabac cap works okay but does not fit as solid as the original TOBS on the TOBS tube. The stick is melting surprisingly quickly. I am wondering if I will break the 60 shaves mark for a 75ml product...

I finally got the camera tonight and took some pictures of the TOBS Sandalwood after 15 shaves. The bottom of the stick broke. I was able to pop it back in but I don't think it likes having the stick taken out every now and then...

My TOBS Sandalwood arrived with a broken feed mechanism - design flaw? Having to deal with this issue, right at the jump, only adds to my general "meh" attitude towards the soap, I look forward to hearing your views on it.

-s

I have used La Toja several times and was not too impressed with it's performance. Not bad but just ok. I read the post about it here #373 - 388 as to what Luc and Jim had to say.
My question is, do you feel it requires more water than most other sticks? Should I start with more water in my brush than I do with other soaps?

Luc

Staff member
I have used La Toja several times and was not too impressed with it's performance. Not bad but just ok. I read the post about it here #373 - 388 as to what Luc and Jim had to say.
My question is, do you feel it requires more water than most other sticks? Should I start with more water in my brush than I do with other soaps?

Personally, I feel that more water in brush = lather flying off my face. I try to have a dryer brush and then add water as I go. It's not a fool proof method but it keeps most of the lather where I want it.

Top Bottom