What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually add water by dipping the tips of my brush into a bowl of water about 10 mm. How do you add water?

I add a bit of water in the middle of the brush while holding it bristles up. I then continue facelathering.

I've been away for a while but a recent trip to Quebec City and Montreal made me think of this thread and found your comments about Palmolive and La Toja and hard water. Here in Alberta, we have some of the hardest water in Canada. Run off from the Rockies, it can be a little softer in the spring but for the most part it is super hard. For the past year or so La Toja has been my go to travel stick because I love the scent and container and the performance is pretty good in all water conditions although I do find the glide is not as good as some other soaps, even in Vancouver with the super soft water out there.

On my recent trip to QC and Montreal though, I decided to change things up and take a Palmolive stick. Palmolive is one of my favorite sticks, even here in the land of hard water. I have always had good luck with it and I do like the scent as well. But using Palmolive in Quebec was a revelation, the lather was simply amazing! It was really good in Montreal, but in Quebec City it was incredible. I could easily have managed six passes and I barely felt the razor touch my face it was so dense! I will definately be bringing Palmolive out to Vancouver next time I go.

I've been away for a while but a recent trip to Quebec City and Montreal made me think of this thread and found your comments about Palmolive and La Toja and hard water. Here in Alberta, we have some of the hardest water in Canada. Run off from the Rockies, it can be a little softer in the spring but for the most part it is super hard. For the past year or so La Toja has been my go to travel stick because I love the scent and container and the performance is pretty good in all water conditions although I do find the glide is not as good as some other soaps, even in Vancouver with the super soft water out there.

On my recent trip to QC and Montreal though, I decided to change things up and take a Palmolive stick. Palmolive is one of my favorite sticks, even here in the land of hard water. I have always had good luck with it and I do like the scent as well. But using Palmolive in Quebec was a revelation, the lather was simply amazing! It was really good in Montreal, but in Quebec City it was incredible. I could easily have managed six passes and I barely felt the razor touch my face it was so dense! I will definately be bringing Palmolive out to Vancouver next time I go.

I'll have to take my Palmolive and Spieck sticks with me next trip I take to Ottawa. I was last there 2 years ago with a 2 year old and a 6 month old to spend time with their then 11 year old brother with little time to enjoy my shave. I think I only had an Arko stick and a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street with me. I onky took a few of the good performers because I knew I wouldn't be able to savour my shaves. They would be rushed by the little ones. I too live in Alberta and have rarely had any lather issues once I've had time to play with the soap or cream.

Luc

Staff member
I should get back to this thread soonish(i.e. this weekend I hope). I have a completed review for TOBS Sandalwood and already started the next stick. Stay tuned!

Luc

Staff member

Attachments

• $SANY7004 (800x599).jpg
    $SANY7004 (800x599).jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 215

Luc

Staff member
While I'm further down the line with Tweex (i.e. not on shave 1) I am not yet on shave 15. I am revisiting this stick now in order to review it. It already has 7 shaves on it.

Attachments

• $SANY7005 (800x599).jpg
    $SANY7005 (800x599).jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 220
I tried the La Toja stick today and once again I find this soap to be just average at best. I know a lot of guys here on B&B love it but I just cannot see why. The only thing that is outstanding about this soap IMO is the scent. It does have a really nice scent to it but I'm afraid I won't be buying it again.

Luc

Staff member
The scent is different but the LaToja cream is much better than the stick imo

I tried the La Toja stick today and once again I find this soap to be just average at best. I know a lot of guys here on B&B love it but I just cannot see why. The only thing that is outstanding about this soap IMO is the scent. It does have a really nice scent to it but I'm afraid I won't be buying it again.

I agree. I find it a bit hard and does not feel that nice going on my face. I guess I prefer a softer shave stick.

Strange as it may seem, I had three sticks with just a small amount left. I put them in a cheese grinder, shredded them up, and put them in an empty soap container. The result was a far superior product.

I've tried a few sticks in the past 24 months and always cut them in chunks and press into a soap dish.

It worked well with LaToja and recently Valobra. Both gave excellent performance when lathered like a normal soap.

Nothing wrong with pressing a stick into a soap dish but then it's not a stick. There is something nice and unique about using a shave stick. You are making the lather right on your face from the very moment your brush touches your face.
I use a bowl about half of the time but I like to mix it up sometimes and use a shave stick. I think they are cool.

Agreed @shave/brush, when you press it into a dish it's no longer a stick.

If all the sticks were the size of IM, I'd use them more. I find most of them to have a surface area so small and not as enjoyable as the wider IM.

I've tried a few sticks in the past 24 months and always cut them in chunks and press into a soap dish.

It worked well with LaToja and recently Valobra. Both gave excellent performance when lathered like a normal soap.
I'm currently 3017'ing a stick of Arko pressed into an OS mug. Next will be a stick of Palmolive pressed in a soap tub. I'll be doing the same with Lea, La Toja, Speick, and Valobra sticks. I kind of like this method better. some days, it felt like the stick was going to rip the whiskers out, other days I couldn't seem to load soap, then there were the days where I would end up with too much soap. And to make it worse, I didn't change application technique. since adopting this 'use the stick as a puck' method, Arko and Palmolive have both been consistently great every shave.

Trouble using a stick as a stick? Next time try these tips:

(Message sponsored by the Society for Prevention of Shave Stick Abuse.)

Top Bottom