What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I forgot to post a picture of the stick. Here's where I'm at with it. I would say that 50% is gone, so 30 shaves x 2 = around 60 shaves for this stick.

Attachments

• $SANY6861 (800x520).jpg
    $SANY6861 (800x520).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 435
Luc, I can tell you the DR Harris stick has lasted me a lot longer than other sticks. Only La Toja has given me as many shaves. However, I prefer the DR Harris because of its ease of application. However, I agree with your comments about the puck being a better buy and when I am finished with the shave stick intend to buy the buck and grate it into a shave stick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Dr Harris review. I have not yet got around to trying anything from the brand but its Definitely on the hit list. I may just get the puck and grate it, it seems ludicrous to pay the same price for 60grams less.

Luc

Staff member
It is unknown when this shave stick was made or the definitive ingredient list. The one thing for sure is that the scent is practically gone and I couldn't find an old ad with the same logo on it. It's a very different product compared to the current Palmolive stick made in Oz and even the German made Palmolive. This one is much better and easier to work with. I added the stick holder from the Euro Palmolive to it so it's easier to work with.

I originally got this stick when I bought a travel kit on eBay. The kit was okay but it contained an almost new piece of Palmolive Shave Stick...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

$SANY6862 (800x653).jpg

Luc

Staff member
I do not have a full week yet with the Palmolive Stick (Vintage). All I can say is top notch performance so far. The scent is something that would be (very) curious about. Back in the days, what did it smell like? Maybe as I get to the middle of the stick I might have a small idea of what the original fragrance was...

Thanks for all the work on this project Luc. It inspired me to pick up Tabac and Wilkinson Sword sticks for traveling. These will be my first experiment with face lathering, as I've been using a bowl for the last month.

Luc

Staff member
I will be hitting 15 shaves this week-end, so far, the lather is very easy to work with, it's a gem!

Luc

Staff member
I'm up to shave 15 this morning. From the first picture to this one, the Palmolive was slightly used when I got it, but I would think, 3-4 shaves top. Like many sticks, it seems to melt to give an average of 60-75 shaves. The scent is not yet coming back, it's okay and the only let down for this product.

Attachments

• $SANY6863 (800x635).jpg
    $SANY6863 (800x635).jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 258

Luc

Staff member
Is it somewhat similar to the Palmolive stick available today?

I would say that scentwise, possibly. The original scent is a puzzle but does reminds me of the Euro Palmolive current made. For the performance, it's a different game completely. Much better!

Thanks Luc. I have not tried Palmolive stick yet and was hoping/wishing Palmolive made very little if any modifications.
Well, now I know.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc. I have not tried Palmolive stick yet and was hoping/wishing Palmolive made very little if any modifications.
Well, now I know.

The Euro version is the best Palmolive (currently made) that you can buy IMO. The shave cream (Palmolive) is better than the stick IMO. If you get one of those vintage ones, those are good! If you have hard water, it's and okay product.

My Tabac and Wilkinson sticks showed up today. I read the 'How to use a shaving stick' tutorial, and and I'm going to give some face lathering a go!

Luc - Thanks for the inspiration and reviews.

Fantastic......I remember when I had my first face lather shave...loved it, but still working on perfecting it. Im fairly sure you may have the same experience and it is a lot of fun...... and I mean fun. You have chose two very awesome sticks. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with these soaps........I think you well enjoy them.

Luc

Staff member
Cool stuff! Make sure that you wet the tip of the shave stick often while applying the product

Cool stuff! Make sure that you wet the tip of the shave stick often while applying the product

That is indeed an important point and what is more do not be too tight-fisted as to how much product you apply. I have been shaving with the Speick stick lately and using more product has made the most tremendous difference. If you have used too little from the start, it is difficult to add more later because after you have done your first pass, there is no more stubble to rip off product from the stick.

Finally, I find the fist bowl method a very useful way of facilitating face lathering. Just having a little lather on the brush before you take it to your face makes a big difference.

I just tried the Wilkinson Sword stick for the first time this morning based on your recommendation Luc. I am very happy with the performance of it so far. Planning to use it at least all month, if not until it's gone. Great stuff and thanks for the work on the review project.

Luc

Staff member
I just tried the Wilkinson Sword stick for the first time this morning based on your recommendation Luc. I am very happy with the performance of it so far. Planning to use it at least all month, if not until it's gone. Great stuff and thanks for the work on the review project.

Awesome! The Wilkinson Stick is not mentioned enough IMO. Distribution is the main issue. However, Tabac and Speick are easy to find and are also cheap. The Wilkinson is still my favourite when it comes to scent and performance (price too)!

Top Bottom