What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting, Luc. I had never even thought of my hard water in regard to shaving soaps until my recent frustration with Mystic Waters. In fact, two soaps that you list below your line of satisfaction -- ones you would not purchase again because of poor performance -- work fine for me, LaToja and EU Palmolive.

Now I want to try all my soaps with reverse osmosis water to see how much better they get. Maybe I'll collect rainwater and shave with that!

I'm able to work with both LaToja and Palmolive. However, I can get better lather from the products above the line. Those that are below are not impossible, just not as easy

Luc

Staff member
From what I found, Montreal has a 116 mg/L which place it in the moderately hard. I live on the south shore and, while I am not 100% sure that we get our water from the same reservoir, I found that the one closest to me is 7.5 grains per gallons.

From the wikipedia page
| hardness in mg/L || hardness in mmol/L || hardness in dGH/°dH || hardness in gpg || hardness in ppm
| 0–60 || 0–0.60 || 0-3.37 || 0-3.50 || less than 60
| 61–120 || 0.61–1.20 || 3.38-6.74 || 3.56-7.01 || 60-120
| 121–180 || 1.21–1.80 || 6.75–10.11 || 7.06-10.51 || 120-180
| ≥ 181 || ≥ 1.81 || ≥ 10.12 || ≥ 10.57 || > 180

According to the Water Quality Association, water hardness is interpreted as:

ClassificationHardness in grains per gallon (gpg)
Soft0 - 1
Slightly Hard1.1 - 3.5
Moderately Hard3.6 - 7
Hard7.1 - 10.5
Very HardOver 10.5

That would be for Longueuil, however, I don't believe that we are in the same reservoir as I am not in Longueuil. The other one, where I suspect where the water is from is located in St-Lambert, which is 6.5

It's better but still not great.

Luc, thank you for that scale. If reading that, and then reading my local water report, I have exceptionally hard water. The hardness listed on mine is 400ppm. YUCK!

I live in Munich and we also have issues with hard water, the soaps that have worked well for me partly mirror Luc's experience: Tabac, Speick shave stick, Wilkinson shave stick, Joris, Klar soaps, Cella and C&S. I have been somewhat disappointed with the following: euro palmolive which seems to go runny in hard water when you try to saturate the lather, La Toja, Arko, Floris, Valobra shave stick, Valobra croap and Monsavon. The soaps in this category produce ok lathers but they just cannot compete with the first list for slickness and protectiveness. Therefore , I do not bother with those anymore.

Luc

Staff member
I live in Munich and we also have issues with hard water, the soaps that have worked well for me partly mirror Luc's experience: Tabac, Speick shave stick, Wilkinson shave stick, Joris, Klar soaps, Cella and C&S. I have been somewhat disappointed with the following: euro palmolive which seems to go runny in hard water when you try to saturate the lather, La Toja, Arko, Floris, Valobra shave stick, Valobra croap and Monsavon. The soaps in this category produce ok lathers but they just cannot compete with the first list for slickness and protectiveness. Therefore , I do not bother with those anymore.

Interesting as Arko and Valobra were okay in my tests. Not the top runners but good. You must have a harder concentration in your area compared to mine. I might have to hit them again just to be sure. Good to see you Erik!

Luc

Staff member
I added the chart up here for water hardness to the wiki : wiki.badgerandblade.com/Water

Luc

Staff member
Long overdue, Monsavon at 15 shaves. While the shaves are okay, I am still debating if I should use it back as a puck. Honestly, it's nothing impressive at the moment. I do have a piece of Martin de Candre to stickify and compare. If Martin de Candre is like the last time I used it (with soft water), then it should be kicking everything out of the water!

Attachments

• $SANY7190 (800x636).jpg
    $SANY7190 (800x636).jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 286

Luc

Staff member
So, I tried to do like LaToja this morning but I sent the piece of soap back into the bowl. I soaked it in hot water (completely) while I was in the shower. The difference was very noticeable. While it was not used as a stick, the softer texture helped to pickup more soap into the brush and then, create a better lather.

I will try the boar brush tomorrow.

Thanks for a TERRIFIC REVIEW. Really appreciate your distinction between a first impression and how a product performs long-term. This is important IMO. This may get me to try more sticks (currently use pucks almost 100%). :thumbup::thumbup:

Luc

Staff member
I went back to the puck for monsavon, reason is, I do not have a way to use it like LaToja. I.e. I need to soak the soak before I use it in warm water. I can easily do that in the bowl. The lather is much better since. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best but I went from poor-ok lather to ok lather. It works well but it's not wow like the top sticks. I will try to work something for the stick format!

I used my Arko stick tonight. I have soft water and I know that helps a lot but that Arko just performs the outstandingly for me. Other soaps may stand out like Tabac and Wilkinson Sword but I get the best performance from Arko. It's king of shave sticks for me.

Luc

Staff member
I am currently experimenting with another brush here. I will be returning with monsavon tomorrow. I had to get used to the brush first and Monsavon was not the best contender to do this. I think I have a better idea after almost a week. You learn every day!

The shaves with Monsavon are almost over, that new brush may help a bit, we shall see.

From what I found, Montreal has a 116 mg/L which place it in the moderately hard. I live on the south shore and, while I am not 100% sure that we get our water from the same reservoir, I found that the one closest to me is 7.5 grains per gallons.

From the wikipedia page
Classificationhardness in mg/Lhardness in mmol/Lhardness in dGH/°dHhardness in gpghardness in ppm
Soft0–600–0.600-3.370-3.50less than 60
Moderately hard61–1200.61–1.203.38-6.743.56-7.0160-120
Hard121–1801.21–1.806.75–10.117.06-10.51120-180
Very hard≥ 181≥ 1.81≥ 10.12≥ 10.57> 180

According to the Water Quality Association, water hardness is interpreted as:

ClassificationHardness in grains per gallon (gpg)
Soft0 - 1
Slightly Hard1.1 - 3.5
Moderately Hard3.6 - 7
Hard7.1 - 10.5
Very HardOver 10.5

That would be for Longueuil, however, I don't believe that we are in the same reservoir as I am not in Longueuil. The other one, where I suspect where the water is from is located in St-Lambert, which is 6.5

It's better but still not great.

Ami québécois, Bonjour!... :cheerful:

Your post made me want to check the hardness in my area too. I live in a parisian suburb and the water is pumped and treated directly from the Seine river. In Montrouge compared to Montréal (I like those old french names...), water is not particularly hard but it is not particularly soft either. It does range from 87 to 108 mg/L.

Well, to get back to the topic, I like shaving sticks too and I have a few arriving very soon.:001_smile

Top Bottom