What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have 2 Moos sticks left. Will be a sad day. Your opinions re Harris and TOBS? I'm a sandalwood guy.

Harris is a bit before, click on Link next to Harris in post 1 of this thread.

I haven't tried the sandalwood version of either Harris or TOBS yet. I might eventually

I only tried a Boots stick once, two or three years ago. Did not lather well, and the scent is akin to a sports bag filled with dirty socks.
One of the very few products I threw away after a few uses (the only other one I can remember was Balea cream).

I hope they have reformulated, and improved drastically, since then :lol:

Luc

Staff member
Luc, if I had known you were interested in Boots I could have sent you one.

Speaking of Boots and reformulations.... The ingredients from my stick were entered on Boots_Shaving_Stick_Refill as the "2012-0315" list. Does that match your stick?

Do not worry about it Mike, I have a few sticks that I want to try on my super secret list. If I'm able to get them, it's all right, if not, it can wait. I have a good stack here. Even if I were getting another stick tomorrow morning, I won't be able to get to it in a while so no worries!

The ingredient list is the same yes.

My 2012 Boots stick is not a bad soap at all - though it tends to spend most of its time on the bench. Maybe it is a little boring, almost generic or even institutional. The lather is good, but not great. The scent is mostly clean citrus, but with a sort of spiciness mixed in. No dirty socks.

Looking at the ingredient list, the limonene probably contributes most of the citrus note. No telling what might be in "parfum" but the spiciness could be from that, or the "Hexyl Cinnamal, Lauric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate" and Eugenol also seem to be good candidates.

Luc

Staff member
My 2012 Boots stick is not a bad soap at all - though it tends to spend most of its time on the bench. Maybe it is a little boring, almost generic or even institutional. The lather is good, but not great. The scent is mostly clean citrus, but with a sort of spiciness mixed in. No dirty socks.

Looking at the ingredient list, the limonene probably contributes most of the citrus note. No telling what might be in "parfum" but the spiciness could be from that, or the "Hexyl Cinnamal, Lauric Acid, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate" and Eugenol also seem to be good candidates.

Interesting as I have, what I would call a "very good" lather. I mean, it might not be the best but it's not hard to work with this product. I do agree with you, it's not an "exciting" soap so far. It works well but, something is missing when it comes to scent.

I think that this stick (Boots) is better than Palmolive at this stage.

Luc

Staff member
Better then Palmolive...........I would have never guessed based on the pervious comments about Boots. This should be interesting.

It's easier to use than Palmolive. It seems like Montreal water likes Boots better. I'm also surprised as I was expecting a medium to poor lather and it's usually medium good (more medium)

Luc, I brought my Boots stick off the bench for 5 shaves this week. I still prefer Palmolive but that may be a combination of personal taste and local water. I used 4 grams of soap in all, and the shaves were pretty good. When new my stick was close to 55 grams of soap, 10% more than the 50 grams on the label.

One thing I never noticed before, or forgot about, was a bit of a burning sensation: probably something in the scent. It was not bad enough to stop using the soap, but that may be part of why I rarely reach for it.

By the way, does anyone with local Boots stores know if this stuff is still on shelves? I checked http://boots.co.uk but could not find it. Some time ago there was talk that it had been discontinued.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Luc, I brought my Boots stick off the bench for 5 shaves this week. I used 4 grams of soap in all, and the shaves were pretty good. I still prefer Palmolive but that may be a combination of personal taste and local water.

One thing I never noticed before, or forgot about, was a bit of a burning sensation: probably something in the scent. It was not bad enough to stop using the soap, but that may be part of why I rarely reach for it.

By the way, does anyone with local Boots stores know if this stuff is still on shelves? I checked http://boots.co.uk but could not find it. Some time ago there was talk that it had been discontinued.

That's interesting as I get that slight burning sensation also. I'm wondering if it's not the combination of having a shave with Benzyl Benzoate that can cause that as I see it could be a skin irritant. The burning sensation is very mild and low, it goes away when I rinse.

When Wazza sent me the stick, it was, maybe a month and half ago or a month ago, so it's possibly still there.

Luc

Staff member
How can you say you like it better then palmolive when it burns your face?

What I said was that it was better for me (lather wise). The burning sensation is very mild (I cannot stress the word mild enough). It doesn't burn like raiders of the lost ark. It's a mild tingling sensation. Like Mike, it's a bit annoying but not bad enough for me to simply toss it.

If that helps...

Here's the new mystery stick.

I first want to thank Wazza for sending me a stick. They are not expensive in the UK but, somehow, difficult to find in North America as Boots doesn't exists here. He was kind enough to sell me a stick so I can review it here. Thanks again. As I did not want this one for free, we exchanged a small amount of money.

The stick holder for this one reminds me of that "radio video conference room" that Darth Vader was using in Star Wars...
View attachment 519510

The scent is clean, light-medium, a bit perfume-y. I smelled that odor before but I can't put my finger on what... Some Pez maybe...
View attachment 519511View attachment 519512

I was a bit nervous on trying this one after I saw this post: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...n-Erasmic-shaving-stick?p=6851023#post6851023

I didn't think that stick was that bad. I also found that it was easier than the Euro Palmolive to lather with my water.

I'm happy that I'm able to try this one today, I've been looking to try this one for a number of years before. Out of the members located in England that I've contacted, many responded that they are not living next to a Boots Chemist so buying one is a bit difficult. Anyways, Thanks Wazza, I really appreciate it mate!

I haven't found much about this shave stick but here are threads that are worth mentioning:

No worries at all. Im happy to help with the quest to review the sticks. The scent is a funny one I guess. I do enjoy the scent as it reminds me of my great grandad, I assume this is what he used as my mrs works for Boots and she said all the old fellas come in for the Boots shave stuff. Its been going for years, I just missed out on a vintage Boots stick on ebay infact!
I too saw that thread about the Erasmic thread which mentioned the Boots stick, for the price I really like it, maybe not that exciting though. Im glad its trumped Palmolive though :thumbup:

Luc, I brought my Boots stick off the bench for 5 shaves this week. I still prefer Palmolive but that may be a combination of personal taste and local water. I used 4 grams of soap in all, and the shaves were pretty good. When new my stick was close to 55 grams of soap, 10% more than the 50 grams on the label.

Its still readily available. The packaging changed not so long ago so maybe this is why it has been removed from the site. If you or anyone else would like a stick then I would be happy to send them out to you guys?
It also comes as a puck in a bowl also......maybe I shouldn't mention that around here :lol:

Luc

Staff member
15 shaves already and this one seems to melt slowly... I would guesstimate a good 100 shaves at this stage which is a lot considering this stick is 50 grams.

The *mild* burning sensation is still there but only at the end of the shave (after the 3rd pass as I relather like a 4th pass but simply rinse it off when done). Once rinsed, nothing. Again, I cannot squeeze this lemon enough, it's mild enough to be a bit annoying but not mild enough to ditch the soap. Someone else might not notice...

I'd be curious to know if someone else than me and Mike noticed this from the boot shave stick?

Attachments

• $SANY6875.jpg
    $SANY6875.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 173
I used my stick the other day, which I havn't for a while as I have tried so many new soaps this year. I have the same stick which I sent you Luc but my previous stick was different packaging.
This time I did notice a slight tingling feeling which once my face was washed, it did go away. I dont recall this from prior shaves but maybe I just didnt notice, I am not sure. I'm wondering if they changed the formula as well as the packaging? Not sure if anyone else has info.

How many shaves are you into the stick now Luc?

Luc

Staff member
I used my stick the other day, which I havn't for a while as I have tried so many new soaps this year. I have the same stick which I sent you Luc but my previous stick was different packaging.
This time I did notice a slight tingling feeling which once my face was washed, it did go away. I dont recall this from prior shaves but maybe I just didnt notice, I am not sure. I'm wondering if they changed the formula as well as the packaging? Not sure if anyone else has info.

How many shaves are you into the stick now Luc?

This is proving a bit more what I was saying earlier. There's a slight burning sensation but it's so small that you had to focus on it to find it. Lately, I've been noticing it here and there but not every shaves.

So far, I have 22 shaves completed.

Amazing how experiences can differ; the Boots stick was one of the very few soaps that I threw away before finishing. I could not stand the scent, and I did not like the lather as well.

YMMV in action, it seems :001_smile

Top Bottom