What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Regardless on what you decide to do, it's a really nice product and do post a lot of pictures!
If I do use this vintage tabac stick in celebration of my birthday next year. I'll compare it along with present day tabac stick with lots of pics and comparisons between the two Tabac sticks. I feel i may as well use them up since someone else will probably do so with less sentimental reasons if they by chance find it at a flea market or garage sale or maybe even eBay.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Shave 15 already!

The product works great. With little effort I can get a very nice lather. It's a big contrast versus Monsavon. I do not know if it's how I stored the soap but the scent is almost all gone (not really strong).

Attachments

• $SANY7200 (800x679).jpg
    $SANY7200 (800x679).jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 482
About one week ago I looked for some on ebay and amazon but I couldn`t find any Camelot. So I ordered my lifetime supply of arko and it should be in soon! Glad to hear your report about this lesser known Turkish camelot soap. I`ve read about your turkish soap post and I hope to try it out someday this camelot.

Thanks Luc! Appreciate your link on where to buy Camelot stick. I can see why you've said its better to try to combine other soaps in one order like perhaps derby, gzd Berber , tweex, Camelot blueness. You're correct it's literally an arko 12:1 Camelot buy but that's the price of rarer items. Once again I appreciate your reference on where to buy this Camelot stick. I'll hold off for the time being because I've got too many soaps to use/ test right now. I'm expecting a big soap shipment tomorrow and those lifetime supply of arko within a weeks time.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have followed this thread for a while now and just realized I never thanked you for all your efforts. Luc, this is a wonderful thread. You've really helped me narrow down the sticks I'd like to try and I've found my preferences very close to yours so far.

Luc

Staff member
I received a package from Spain yesterday from Gifts and Care. The shipping was quick considering that it was coming from a different country. I've put the picture of the two sticks in the spoiler below if someone wants a sneak peak of what's coming.

Not related to shave sticks, I also got a bottle of Aqua Velva which comes in a glass bottle in Europe. The scent is... Aqua Velva-y... :tongue_sm

I hope to re-use the glass bottle after I'm done as I prefer glass over plastic.

$SANY7203 (2).jpg

Looks nice Luc! It`ll be interesting to see how you like the Vielong stick. The base holder kind of reminds me of Lea stick. I hope the erasmic stick will work for you. I don`t mind it but you might find it a bit too hard?

Luc

Staff member
If that Erasmic is the same than the other Erasmic then it won't be good...

If that Erasmic is the same than the other Erasmic then it won't be good...
Apparently this present day tallow Erasmic stick isn't very popular the lather fades quickly and the stick is kind of like a chalk stick but let's see how you like it?

Luc

Staff member
I received a second parcel of shave sticks yesterday which will add to 3 mystery shave sticks...

I received a package from Spain yesterday from Gifts and Care. The shipping was quick considering that it was coming from a different country. I've put the picture of the two sticks in the spoiler below if someone wants a sneak peak of what's coming.

Not related to shave sticks, I also got a bottle of Aqua Velva which comes in a glass bottle in Europe. The scent is... Aqua Velva-y... :tongue_sm

I hope to re-use the glass bottle after I'm done as I prefer glass over plastic.

The Vie-Long shave stick is my favorite so far, beating out La Toja, Speick, vintage Williams, Arko and Palmolive. I look forward to your assessment.

Luc

Staff member
Camelot is now over as I reached 30 shaves (37 total).

The scent is pretty much gone now. I stored the stick in the box that it came in. It doesn't have a wrap or back to keep it sealed to I lost all the scent. Also, as mentioned up here, the scent is now different compared to what I tried before and today. It's unfortunate as the scent was nice IMO.

I would say that the stick is not quite at 50%, it has 37 shaves, it's a soft soap. It can probably last a good 80-90 shaves total I'd say.

I'm uploading my review in the review system at the moment: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211509

Attachments

• $SANY7207 (800x562).jpg
    $SANY7207 (800x562).jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 356
I love the old Camelot and managed to secure a few sticks before it disappeared. And I bought it just because I read your old Turkish Shave Stick comparison thread, so I owe you a mighty big thank you for that one.

They are my most prized sticks and I value them more than my current stash of Sir Irisch Moos sticks. I like those, but love Camelot.
Thanks again Master Luc

Luc

Staff member
I love the old Camelot and managed to secure a few sticks before it disappeared. And I bought it just because I read your old Turkish Shave Stick comparison thread, so I owe you a mighty big thank you for that one.

They are my most prized sticks and I value them more than my current stash of Sir Irisch Moos sticks. I like those, but love Camelot.
Thanks again Master Luc

No problems, happy to help. I started the new stick this morning, pictures to come.

Luc

Staff member
I picked the GDZ stick. This one will be more difficult to guess because I transferred the stick into a push container a while back. The scent was preserved as I haven't used this one in a very long time (like Camelot). Since Camelot was in a box without any wrapping, the scent is now gone. GDZ still has something and it's not bad.

I used GDZ for a few shaves now, it works without much efforts (similar to Camelot). I had 8 shaves on that stick already. I believe that the next shaves will be great as this one is easy to use. I took out my Omega 10098 and I can build lather in a few seconds with that beast!

Attachments

• $SANY7206 (800x712).jpg
    $SANY7206 (800x712).jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 308

Luc

Staff member
So far it's going really well. I tried a silvertip brush to facelather. I got one from AceShaving (the Kent replica) it works well!

Hey Luc, I'd just like to say thanks for all the effort you've put into this thread and your earlier Turkish Sticks review thread! There is a ton of worthwhile information here and it inspired me to try out the whole shaving stick concept. First I tried a DIY stick where I milled a puck of Williams into an empty deodorant twist up. That worked splendidly so I picked up a couple of sticks of Arko which has performed quite well also. I'm getting wonderful slick, dense, protective lather out of both. All of a sudden, I'm finding a number of sticks moving up my products to try list. I'm looking forward to continuing to follow this excellent project. Well done sir!:thumbup:

Top Bottom