What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Legion

Staff member
I had an Arly stick once, performs was great but I reacted a great deal to something in the composition somuchso that it gave a very unpleasant burning sensation on my face. I suspect it is their preservative. I ended up having to sell it.

I think that was to me! I love Arlington. :w00t:

You also gave me my first try of Euro Palmolive, for which I am eternally grateful.

Last edited:
I think that was to me! I love Arlington. :w00t:

You also gave me my first try of Euro Palmolive, for which I am eternally grateful.

Yes indeed, I am glad you enjoyed both of them. In return you gave me a Crox sharpening device which I use now and then with the greatest satisfaction.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I can't seem to find the review of the Wilkinson Sword stick blue wrapper. How does it compare to other sticks?
Well, this is where it started: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310894-Shave-Sticks-Review-Project?p=5293270#post5293270

As for the review, follow this link, see the review on the 18th August 2013 : http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=80006

I currently have this one as number 1. I prefer the scent on it compared to Tabac. The lather is top notch. I do not have any issues with the hard water here. It's a mild scent so depending if you like a stronger scent or not, it might influence if you like the stick. I found the product to be easy to use and not too sensitive (compared to others) to the amount of water that you put in.

It is in my travel bag and I use it whenever I travel. It is one great stick. Goes on easily and makes great lather.

Since it seems that people are saying Wilkinson makes lather easy, that is for me, for sure. Like Luc said at the start of this thread, I too have a mild obsession with shave sticks. My only problem was I could never seem to get the hang of them. I never gave up, every now and then I would try them. Well I finally got the hang of them about a month ago but then I lost it for awhile. For some reason I just could not get boar brushes to work for me with shave sticks. When I first got the hang of it I was using a synthetic brush, Plisson. Now I'm back to using my synthetic brushes and I love using shave sticks. I haven't bowl lathered in awhile. I just have to stick with my synthetic brushes.

Since it seems that people are saying Wilkinson makes lather easy, that is for me, for sure. Like Luc said at the start of this thread, I too have a mild obsession with shave sticks. My only problem was I could never seem to get the hang of them. I never gave up, every now and then I would try them. Well I finally got the hang of them about a month ago but then I lost it for awhile. For some reason I just could not get boar brushes to work for me with shave sticks. When I first got the hang of it I was using a synthetic brush, Plisson. Now I'm back to using my synthetic brushes and I love using shave sticks. I haven't bowl lathered in awhile. I just have to stick with my synthetic brushes.

Whatever works for you. Since I am travelling I used my Wilkinson with my Muhle synthetic and got a great shave this a.m.

What sets this stick apart from others, IMO, is how slick the lather is. The razor just glides over my face.

Luc

Staff member
Good guess, Luc: those are spice jars. The one I have handy measures 32 mm diameter inside the mouth, OD about 48 mm, and about 110 mm tall.

For really low-budget storage, bundle the stick in cling wrap or foil and add an adhesive label with the date and brand. Or just put it in a ziploc bag and write on the ziploc.

I got some of those jar at lunch. They were in the container section and it was 3 for $1. They come with a lid to close the jar and the "salt" lid so I could use it to let it dry and then put the closed lid on top.

I got the minimum (3) and will see how I go with it. It should be easier to stack the soaps with those as uneven sticks then do fall after 2.

I got some of those jar at lunch. They were in the container section and it was 3 for $1. They come with a lid to close the jar and the "salt" lid so I could use it to let it dry and then put the closed lid on top.

I got the minimum (3) and will see how I go with it. It should be easier to stack the soaps with those as uneven sticks then do fall after 2.
You mind sharing where you got those?

Luc

Staff member
all right, time to move to the next stick!

I placed MWF just below Arko. The reason is, MWF delivers great lather, it's good stuff but, it's not as easy as Arko to make some lather. The products above Arko are easy to lather IMO where MWF has a really rich lather, it's easy to miss.

For the next stick, D.R. Harris Arlington. The scent is really nice. The stick indicates 40 grams but seems short. We shall see!

Attachments

• $SANY6807 (800x669).jpg
    $SANY6807 (800x669).jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 355
  • $SANY6809 (800x579).jpg
    $SANY6809 (800x579).jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 356
  • $SANY6812 (800x568).jpg
    $SANY6812 (800x568).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I think you threw down the gauntlet by ranking Arko ahead of MWF. I agree with your assessment, I like the fat but it's a pain to lather and Arko always delivers a good lather.

Luc

Staff member
I think you threw down the gauntlet by ranking Arko ahead of MWF. I agree with your assessment, I like the fat but it's a pain to lather and Arko always delivers a good lather.

It was not an easy choice...

I have to agree with your thoughts about the amount of soap in the D.R. Harris stick. First off, I absolutely love their soaps in general, and their shave sticks in particular (current fave is Lavender) - but, I do think someone on the production line may have a heavy thumb..

-s

Luc

Staff member
I went back to my Finest Brush today (from my Boar) and what a difference! I did not have any issues with the Boar but the finest is much softer!

The D.R. Harris lather is top notch. Very similar to their shave cream (I sampled some a few weeks ago). I don't have that many shaves with the stick so far and, I'm really hoping it won't melt too quickly. I'm working with my citrus AS at the moment and they are pairing well with Arlington!

Luc

Staff member
Just noticed this morning that the D.R. Harris stick is actually 40 grams and not 50 grams like I previously wrote. So I corrected the entry before. If I do compare the price of a 40 grams stick versus a 100 grams puck (same), the container is way too expensive...

Just noticed this morning that the D.R. Harris stick is actually 40 grams and not 50 grams like I previously wrote. So I corrected the entry before. If I do compare the price of a 40 grams stick versus a 100 grams puck (same), the container is way too expensive...

It is expensive - but it's a great performer.

Luc

Staff member
In an hour, this thread will be 2 years old. I did not think that it would still be followed like this after 2 years. Hopefully, I will be able to finish my list eventually to have a complete reference on Shave Sticks(at least, the most common sticks). I have a few sticks in reserve that are not listed, I plan to do a mystery stick soon...

The D.R. Harris shaves are going well, again, great product! I got 10 shaves done with D.R. Harris so far.

Great thread - it wont seem right if it's relegated to reference though, there must be more sticks about, or a second pass at some of them - any reformulations since testing?

-s

Top Bottom