What's new

Ever met anyone famous - what were they like?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I met Charlie Duke, Apollo 16 astronaut, one of 12 people to set foot on the moon. Very nice guy, and tells a good story.

Attachments

• $rsz_owen_and_charley_duke_apollo_astronaut.jpg
    $rsz_owen_and_charley_duke_apollo_astronaut.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 849
Spiro Agnew....on an elevator...tall, well built...likable. Wonder what ever happened to that tall, likable fellow?

Also met Gene Autry. He was disappointly short and getting on in years when I met him. My best friend Eddie was Gene Autry while I played Roy Rogers when we children growing up. We had many a shoot-out with our cap guns!

My wife once worked for a company that distributed CDs, VHS tapes and such back in the pre-DVD days. On occasion, celebrites would roll through the office when they were in town or promoting a product. She met Kenny G. and said that he was very nice and friendly guy. I had a teacher who, oddly enough for him, really had a thing for Joan Jett. She too was very nice and was kind enough to write him a special message on a promotional head shot. (I believe it was, "Rock on Pete!" - Joan Jett) She said that Johnny Mathis was very polite and had very soft hands. Vince Gill held a meet and greet in the company's conference room. My wife got to chat with him for a while as they were setting up and waiting for employees to arrive. She said that he was pretty down to earth and a regular guy seemingly more interested in talking about almost anything else but business. As the employees started arriving they were all just kind of standing around uncomfortably and not saying anything. Vince turned to my wife and quietly asked if they were just going to stand there and stare at him. She met Milli Vanilli. She said that they didn't talk or say very much. She said they were both wearing leather and that they were wearing heavy cologne in a (failed) attempt to cover a less than fresh aroma. Cyndi Lauper is very petite and tiny. The only other person I recall her meeting was Rita Moreno. She got to have lunch with Ms. Moreno and several other executives in the company. My wife said that she was very nice and gave you the impression that she was interested in you as a person because she would ask questions and show interest in you and what was going on in your life. My wife's an extrovert so meeting celebrites wasn't that big of deal for her. She'd say, "They're just people!"

As for myself, I used to work for a bank in customer service. My only brushes with fame were when I happened to take calls from Jill Trenary, the figure skater and M.C. Hammer! It was pretty funny with the latter because throughout the call I was referring to him as "Mr. Hammer"! Ha! I didn't know what else to call him! Both were calling to conduct business so we weren't having any kind of non-related conversation. Both were polite and cordial.

Last edited:
No. I've seen a lot of celebrities in the city, but I always figure they don't want to be bothered, so I don't say anything.

I had some quasi-celebrity clients when I worked in real estate.

The best one was the daughter of Ingrid Betancourt, like, a week after her mother was rescued in the well known escape. I mean, I had the daughter as a client a week after her mother was rescued. I had no idea who she was at the time, but she had an incredible presence. Like an aura, or something. Very young, but incredible composure and... je ne sais quoi, as they say. I only found out who she was when I Googled her while thinking, "There has to be more to to this girl than she's letting on."

She was going to NYU to study film and was looking for an apartment. I have no clue what she's doing now, but I wouldn't be surprised if she does something extraordinary in the future.

Had lunch and got to chat with Colonel Sanders back in the mid '60's when I was going to school in Louisville. A couple of us went into a restaurant (not a KFC) near school that served his chicken and he invited us over to his table. This was back when you could get a 3 piece meal for $1 and it was edible.

I met Charlie Sheen once at the L.A. Car Show about fifteen years ago. I was kneeling over to get a closer look at the (then) new Porsche Boxter, and he leaned in over my shoulder, unbeknownst to me, and said "it's pretty bitchin' isn't it?" I looked back, saw who it was, nodded my head, and said "oh yeah!)

My wife and I also met Dustin Hoffman at a theater once. We were at the concession stand, and there were these two women, and about four kids, all of whom were running around pointing at everything at the candy counter and asking for some. We were just starting to roll our eyes when over our shoulder someone said, "we'll just be another twenty minutes or so." We turned around, and there was Dustin Hoffmann smiling at us (apparently they were his kids.) We smiled, and said something like "oh, that's O.K.," and then they were off.

I was seated with Michael York and his wife at a luncheon in 1996. I gathered from the conversation that he was an actor but I couldn't place him (pre Austin Powers). He and his wife were sparkling conversationalists and it was a thoroughly enjoyable meal. Ironically, there was also a FedEx executive at our table and I was actually more interested in schmoozing him.

I have been fortunate to meet a number of celebrities at airports when I traveled on business so frequently.

Here are a few and my impression of them:

• Dolly Parton: I was in St. Louis airport and had a long wait for my flight. I was walking to my gate when I noticed Dolly Parton. She had an entourage around her and several fans were asking her for her autograph. She was very gracious and signed autographs and posed for photos. When she was finished she was walking in my direction. I smiled at her and said I was impressed by how patient and gracious she was. We chatted for a few minutes. A beautiful lady.
  • Franco Harris: I was on a United Airline Flight to LAX when a huge man excused himself and sat next to me by the window. He looked familiar but I wasn't sure of who it was. The stewardess said "Mr. Harris would you like something to drink?" He took a soft drink while I had a Scotch. I told him my oldest son was going to Penn State and we talked for some time. He was a truly impressive gentleman. Some things I learned about him. He would never do a commercial for beer or any liquor since he was concerned what impact this would have on kids. He learned a lot at Penn State and had the highest regard for Joe Paterno. The most difficult decision he had was when to retire from pro ball.
  • Muhammed Ali: I was in line to check in at then National Airport in D.C. An elderly woman was in a wheel chair in front of me. A man I recognized as Cassius Clay as he was known then approached the lady and smiled at her. She made some rude comments to him and he got down on his knees and pretended to start a fight with her. He managed to get her to laugh and he engaged a number of us in conversation. He had an incredibly pleasant smile and seemed to be totally unaffected.
  • George Bush: I was in Boston after George W. Bush announced his candidacy for office. I spotted a fellow attorney I knew who was coming out of a hotel. I asked him about the crowd that was outside together with the press. He said that Bush had announced his candidacy for office and had just given a speech. He said Bush would be out shortly and asked if I would like to meet him. Bush came out and much to my surprise spent several minutes talking to many different people. I was introduced to him and he made a joke about so many lawyers being there (my colleague had four other attorneys from his office there.) He seemed to be very open and likable.

I spent more than 30 years in my career and at times I think half of it was on an airplane, at an airport, or in a hotel. Got to meet a lot of nice people - and a few that were not so nice.

Last edited:
When Now Governor Tom Corbett (Who Was Attorney General at the time) was campaigning for governor, He stopped by the Elk County Fair.
He Talked To Many People, Including Me.
He Was Very Nice, I Followed Him Around The Whole Time He Was There, He Even Posed For Two Pictures With Me.
One Of His Staff Gave Me A small Corbett for governor lapel pin, Which I treasure.
He Struck me as the kind of guy you could sit down and have a beer with.

I worked as an extra in both Dances With Wolves and Glory.
Kevin Costner was busy as both director and star in Dances but made the time to joke and chat with the extras.
At the Glory filming, Morgan Freeman was reserved and in character, Denzel Washington had a great sense of humor. Matthew Broderick had an interesting conversation with my company of soldiers.
I didn't interact with too many of the stars in either movie since I looked at it as they had their jobs and I had mine. They were great experiences though.

I grew up in the music industry (well since I was 11, at least) - when i was a kid we had several visit the house, heck we even had Megadeth spend 2 Thanksgiving at our family dining room table (talk about a trip for a 15/16 year old).

After my stint at University, I started my industry 'career' as an intern at the Tonight Show, after that I had stints as an artist manager, a film score agent, an executive at two record labels - though once I realized in about 95/96 that the internet would destroy the industry as we knew it (I was a few years ahead of most in that regard, thanks to a prophetic warning from a friend and former GM of American Recordings), I bailed and started a Marketing consulting firm for artists, realized I had no desire to be in Los Angeles anymore so I left and have been doing travel arrangements for large/midsize and developing touring bands since about 1999 (I love it, I don't have to live in LA or NY to make a living,. tho I am literally on call 24/7 as they are high maintenance in general). When I moved back to my hometown from LA in 2000, I often told friends it was so "I can live somewhere where I can see the REAL stars"... astronomically speaking, and otherwise, they are far more fascinating to me than celebrity 'stars'

....so, in summary, I've met way too many 'celebrities' to remember let alone to list, some have become very close friends over the years, others I avoid like the plague due to iffy first encounters or preceding reputations. One thing is for certain, just like you and I, they all put their pants on one leg at a time. Some are wonderful, some are nasty, all are human - many are humbler than one would imagine, others have ego's far larger than one would expect even with all that fame, but most are, like us, somewhere in between.

with my history I've never been one to get 'star struck', though I was darn close when I met Rep Ron Paul back in 2007 during his primary run for the '08 Presidential campaign.

Last edited:
Bill Clinton at a conference where he was speaking. As engaging in a one to one conversation as in a speech. Like his politics or not, he is a fantastic speaker.

Rev. Jesse Jackson when he was running for president, I was working a security detail for a catholic priest assigned to Portland who was held hostage in the middle east and freed under the arms for hostage deal. Jackson had a rally here and the priest wanted to go, we were backstage after and I was introduced to Jackson, nice guy and tall! that priest can be seen in the Michael Jackson video for "Man in the mirror"

Muhammed Ali, twice. Nicest guy in the world. Mrs. Jazzman met every famous member of Ronald Reagan's administration (long story). She has nothing bad to say about them.

Bill Clinton at a conference where he was speaking. As engaging in a one to one conversation as in a speech. Like his politics or not, he is a fantastic speaker.

Same here. I met President Clinton at a conference. Very engaging.
For you futbol heads, Didier Drogba at Niketown in Chicago. Very gracious getting his picture taken with my son while he was shopping with his daughter.

Famous in many circles : H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama at a semi private personal meeting before an event on inter-religious peace. He is a much smaller build than I had thought him to be. But he kinda hits ya with a genuine warmth while speaking to you, as if you were the only person in the world.

Famous in some circles: His Eminence Timothy Cardinal Dolan, back when he was just His Excellency The Most Reverend Timothy Doland and when I had a collar on. He was of larger build than I imagine, and had a larger than life personality.

Top Bottom