What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

According to this information from Museen Nord, after WW2 Golf was a brand of the government-owned VEB MLW (Volkseigener Verband; Medizin-, Labor- und Wägetechnik) in Leipzig.
P.S.
I doubt that the razor and mismatching box picture on the museum's website are from the 1970-ies as they write, the model looks more like pre-WW2 fashioned. I might be wrong though, I know little to nothing about former Eastern Germany products and styles.
The plastic handled DE-single edge look razor is definitely not made by Louis Perlmann though. :laugh:
A bit off-topic: sad sightseeing of how VEB MLW looked like one year ago.

I think my example is a G63. The styling screams '70s ... '70s and Eastern Bloc.

As a shave, it's great! It turns a DE blade into an SE, in quite a real way: the blade is well clamped with only the merest presentation, giving a real firmness to the blade.

P.S.
I doubt that the razor and mismatching box picture on the museum's website are from the 1970-ies as they write, the model looks more like pre-WW2 fashioned. I might be wrong though, I know little to nothing about former Eastern Germany products and styles.
The plastic handled DE-single edge look razor is definitely not made by Louis Perlmann though. :laugh:
A bit off-topic: sad sightseeing of how VEB MLW looked like one year ago.

What the heck did I just watch? I think I need a tetanus shot just for watching that video... :lol:

Haegar and Nuclearblast---you guys rock. Thanks for the info on the Golf. Jay1st that is one sweet looking razor too!

I think this is one of the greatest threads that we have ever had on here. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions!!!

Recently I picked up this Swedish Matador, which is a bit like the love child of a Tech and a New Improved.

$IMG_0453[1].jpg

Have you shaved with this to see how it compares to the Old? From the pictures is looks to be quite finely tooled unlike some of the Old style knockoffs. Great looking razor!
Yes, I did shave with it once, clearly not enough to form an opinion, but it seemed to be on the milder side. Also, I do not have a single ring, so can't compare directly. However, I do have a single ring on it's way from France, so let me compare when it arrives.

I'm really loving this thread. I like the fact that most non-Gillette razors seem to have a bit more "flair" to them. I like the decorative nature of many of them rather than the more utilitarian look of many Gillettes.

In my case I just realized that I've got more "non-Gillette" razors that I thought so...

First up is an unbranded open comb - very much like an Old Type. Actually shaves very nice. The way the head is designed the blade exposure is limited making it a mild shave.

$Unknown 2.jpg$Unknown 3.JPG

Along with the other Bakelite razors is a Simplex Military kit issued to GI's in the Pacific in WWII.
Never used this one. Not sure anyone else has either.

$WP_20141105_002.jpg$WP_20141105_006.jpg

Finally is an unbranded 4-piece travel razor. I also have the case that goes with it. I haven't attempted to clean this one and, unfortunately, the head is bent at the post so it's nearly impossible to align a blade. But it looks nice.

$Hoffritz-2.jpg

I'm really loving this thread. I like the fact that most non-Gillette razors seem to have a bit more "flair" to them. I like the decorative nature of many of them rather than the more utilitarian look of many Gillettes.

In my case I just realized that I've got more "non-Gillette" razors that I thought so...

First up is an unbranded open comb - very much like an Old Type. Actually shaves very nice. The way the head is designed the blade exposure is limited making it a mild shave.

View attachment 515856View attachment 515857

Along with the other Bakelite razors is a Simplex Military kit issued to GI's in the Pacific in WWII.
Never used this one. Not sure anyone else has either.

View attachment 515858View attachment 515859

Finally is an unbranded 4-piece travel razor. I also have the case that goes with it. I haven't attempted to clean this one and, unfortunately, the head is bent at the post so it's nearly impossible to align a blade. But it looks nice.

View attachment 515861
That fourth one looks to be the Optimo, a German razor. Think i have two them and they are great little shavers.

That fourth one looks to be the Optimo, a German razor. Think i have two them and they are great little shavers.

Very similar, may be. I had an Optimo that I sold recently. This one has no markings like the Optimo did. But maybe it is. If I could only fix it.

Being relatively new to wet shaving, I am fascinated by this thread. I started collecting vintage razors to experiment shaving with but I do not have that big of a collection.

I did not see this razor in this thread so I thought I would share it. I have yet to clean it up so it looks a bit dull right now.

My reason for purchasing this razor was simply that I had not seen anything like it before and I thought it would go well in a collection.

Does anyone know anything about this Dixi Razor? I was told it dates to 1910 but no one I have spoken to really knows anything about it.

Anyway, here is an interesting Dixi Safety Razor.
View attachment 460960View attachment 460961View attachment 460962View attachment 460963

I'm reviving ButchersHook's post from June because I found one of these odd razors myself for a relatively modest sum on eBay. I have searched B&B, but have not been able to find a review of the Dixi as a shaver. So, here is mine, FWIW.
First of all, it is one of the few non-TTO razors that does not use a central threaded post to attached the handle and baseplate to the topcap. In the last picture, you can see that it uses a pin and hook pivot system (is there a name for that?).
I think it is made out of sheet metal. Cheap and simple.
The blade was slightly misaligned, but there was no way to correct this problem because the blade is so tightly secured. I did not notice any ill-effects from the misalignment during the shave, so no harm no foul.
The Dixi was quite aggressive and it delivered a very, very close shave. Although not quite to the level of an R41-2013 or an ATT H2, it is a bit more aggressive than a Joris or a Cadet OC.
The Dixi is a very strange and humble-looking razor that performed admirably.

Top Bottom