What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

the straight in that picture is interesting in itself, looks to have to blades on it, and the handle is quite thick to support it, stropping and honing that thing would seem to be impossible, but the blades seem to be mounted on outside of the spine,...

now that thing looks to be a mystery in itself, wonder if it really existed or was just there to match into the name, and the album title "razors edge" ? or if all that even exists at all lmao maybe someone was just having fun and made it all up
Well, les Double Six ( Doble Six of Paris) a French Vocal jazz group in made up by Mimi perrin in1959, They were popular in the eaelry 60's. The name of grop was from the way they recorded by using overdubbing techniques to get 12 part singing. Many different members were involved in the group as they recorded. I guess that the razor analogy was from Record labels promotions, so they found the Double Six Razor ad and used it as a popular promo to advertise teh band of the same name.

A couple of clones...
The brass one is unmarked, probably German, the ball end is 'Made In England'

proxy.php

Here is another from my collection. It is an Olaf Rasmussen surgical prep shaver. It appears to be all stainless.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

On four of the six sides the handle is engraved as follows: Olaf Rasmussen Products, PATT. NO. 2455877 2549130, Port Clinton, O. U.S.A., and SURGICAL PREP SHAVER.

The razor weighs 51 grams.

One more. This is a stainless LUX razor from Poland.

proxy.php

The handle is solid stainless and the head is stamped stainless. The razor weighs 58 grams.

I haven't seen any other Hoffritz slants in here - - this little guy has quickly become my favorite shaver!

$LZcZ0l.jpg$eZippl.jpg

I have a few more pics lying around here... but you've all seen a 2 piece slant before, right?

Here is another from my collection. It is an Olaf Rasmussen surgical prep shaver. It appears to be all stainless.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

On four of the six sides the handle is engraved as follows: Olaf Rasmussen Products, PATT. NO. 2455877 2549130, Port Clinton, O. U.S.A., and SURGICAL PREP SHAVER.

The razor weighs 51 grams.
The cap and guard made of bent sheet metal, 1948-51 dates. (similar to Durham Duplex)

I haven't seen any other Hoffritz slants in here - - this little guy has quickly become my favorite shaver!

View attachment 273004View attachment 273005

I have a few more pics lying around here... but you've all seen a 2 piece slant before, right?

Brian,
just got a new mystery slant cleaned up this weekend and was puzzling over the interesting shape of the head. Now I see yours and they are identical. Will try and post pics here for comparison.
Oake

View attachment 273004View attachment 273005

Brian,
just got a new mystery slant cleaned up this weekend and was puzzling over the interesting shape of the cap on head. Now I see yours and they are identical. Will try and post pics here for comparison.
Oake

Great looking razors fellas, this thread is a superb idea and please keep it going! I wish I had something to ad to it :'(

The cap and guard made of bent sheet metal, 1948-51 dates. (similar to Durham Duplex)

Alex, do you know what type of sheet metal? The cap is slightly magnetic, possibly from the screw, but the guard is not. Neither appear to be plated. The guard does appear to have been stamped as the tool marks are still visible. The cap looks as if it was stamped, the bevels were then ground, and the top was polished. Thanks again for the date info.

Alex, do you know what type of sheet metal? The cap is slightly magnetic, possibly from the screw, but the guard is not. Neither appear to be plated. The guard does appear to have been stamped as the tool marks are still visible. The cap looks as if it was stamped, the bevels were then ground, and the top was polished. Thanks again for the date info.

Not really, I got the Info from Waits Comp. which was limited.

Oak, awesome little razor, you never see much DEs from the french around, to bad its shave isnt as nice as its handle is

Oak, awesome little razor, you never see much DEs from the french around, to bad its shave isnt as nice as its handle is

I'll post pics of my others when I get a chance. It's tough finding them at a good price. So far, I'm about 50/50 on my purchases. For every good one, I get a disappointment. Still, the hunt is fun in itself. Without counting, I think I've got about 7 French DE's (with an 8th on the way...a Gardette) that are in my rotation.

Top Bottom