What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Ericsson open comb, USA. Picked this up a few days ago and haven't tried it out yet ... too many razors, not enough shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The case of mine seems to be PVC. not sure about the baseplate and handle material. The cap is some kind of metal which seems to be heavier than Aluminum - it think it most likely is some Zinc alloy (no brass where the plating has gone).

The head on mine looks like tarnished silver. Will try to post some better pics tonight.

Ericsson... I haven't had RAD for quite some time now but now I suddenly feel that old familiar craving building up inside me. O well since I've never heard of the razor before I guess the chance of me ever finding one is quite minimal. It does look really nice though. I don't want to know if it's a good shaver... Please is it? [emoji7]

I have not seen one of those in ages. The heads on those are usually pretty badly corroded when you encounter them.

$image.jpg$image.jpg
Long time listener, first time caller, as it were. Here is a Soviet-bloc OC pseudo Gillette. Got it for fun and because I like weird open combs but I am tossing it into a passaround box. Very light, handle may be zamak, unbranded. Relatively mild shave--more like a Tech than a NEW--and I would love to hear any theories.

Cool. Looks like a Soluna to me. The handle and base plate are very light - possibly Aluminium, and the cap is relatively heavy - maybe Zamak.

Can you post a close up pic of the underside of the base plate?

Can't see the mark very clearly, but I do feel it's a Soluna.

Soluna is Czech. I've seen that mark on Soviet-made razors. I'm not saying it is not a Soluna or that it is definitely Soviet because I really don't know. Just throwing it out there ...

Novost, or at least the case is, which is Ukraine. The razor that was usually in that case was a three piece plastic razor, same colour as the case with a transparent plastic baseplate, like the Gillette Sport Tech.

The razor, I think is a Metallist (read: Steelworker), again Ukraine in origin. I can't quite make out the Makers' Mark, but Metallist was an 'M' with the rest of a circle drawn overhead.

If folks are seeing it as a Soluna, I have a theory ...

Where did the razor come from? It is possible that someone, say more centrally in Europe or Eastern Scandinavia, countries in receipt of both Soviet Russia and Eastern Bloc products might well have put a Czech razor into a Ukranian (via Mother Russia) case.

Fun, either way ... good curve on the baseplate.

Last edited:
Novost, or at least the case is, which is Ukraine. The razor that was usually in that case was a three piece plastic razor, same colour as the case with a transparent plastic baseplate, like the Gillette Sport Tech.

The razor, I think is a Metallist (read: Steelworker), again Ukraine in origin. I can't quite make out the Makers' Mark, but Metallist was an 'M' with the rest of a circle drawn overhead.

If folks are seeing it as a Soluna, I have a theory ...

Where did the razor come from? It is possible that someone, say more centrally in Europe or Eastern Scandinavia, countries in receipt of both Soviet Russia and Eastern Bloc products might well have put a Czech razor into a Ukranian (via Mother Russia) case.

Fun, either way ... good curve on the baseplate.

Thank you. Makes sense.

On the other hand, this razor may not be a Soluna, but both Czekoslovakia and Russia being in the eastern block, both the Metallist and Soluna may have the same ancestry - who knows?

Vendor was in Ukraine when I got it for ~$5 on the Bay and it was listed as a 'USSR razor.'

Pardon the iPad photo, but it IS an 'M' with a circle wrapping around (I thought maybe 'W,' but hey!) and thanks for laying some knowledge on me.

Super! Novost case with a Metallist razor. That said, the handle might well be from something else ... :lol:

Here is an interesting 4 piece French razor:

$PA211015.jpg
I think the brand is Razzia.

$PA211017.jpg

The handle and base plate are made of aluminum.

$PA211023.jpg

pour le montage de votre rasoir, procedez dans l'ordre numerique en prenant soin d'oienter les pattes ressort de la plaquette ver le peigne.

"For assembling your razor, complete in the numerical order, taking care to orient the legs of the spring to the comb plate. "

There is a clip that holds the blade to the cap so that you can adjust the blade gap.

$PA211024.jpg

it's an interesting take on an adjustable razor.

$PA211028.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice one. I was actually watching that listing for a while. Looks in very good condition. Did you shave with it?

Top Bottom