What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

No. That's the case for one of these:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...h-December-2013-Rotbart?p=5696231#post5696231

attachment.php

The razor is German for sure, but not Rotbart. Unlike many other German brands, you can easily ID a Rotbart because they all have marks.

Don't worry about that. It's a nice score. Those German handles are very cool, and who knows, it might be a great shaver.

Germany produced countless no name razors and many of them are great shavers.

But you should definitely try to find a Rotbart OC like the one I posted, the shaves are great!

Don't worry about that. It's a nice score. Those German handles are very cool, and who knows, it might be a great shaver.

Germany produced countless no name razors and many of them are great shavers.

But you should definitely try to find a Rotbart OC like the one I posted, the shaves are great!
I was going to use my Star tomorrow for that first time, but I might try the no name instead. I have to put aRotbart on the radar.

I was going to use my Star tomorrow for that first time, but I might try the no name instead. I have to put aRotbart on the radar.

Please try the Star!
I have several of those no name German razors and do not find them to be all that great. I am, however, very interested in your opinion of the Star ...

Hey chuckles, if you can stop laughing for a while can you tell me what the razor is? Now I will have to find a razor for the case.

Hi,

Sorry. It was the use of the word 'marks' what did it. ;)

It is very likely a Generic. There were several metal foundries in Solingen supporting the razor business. They made razors without any ID for the private label trade. As in department stores. So, the only ID would be on the box. Also, some of the straight razor makers bought the same generic parts and sold them in their own boxes.

Stan

Thanks chuckles! ☺ the generic is aluminum, very very light. I used the Star this morning and loaded with Rapira it gave me a very good shave, as good as any tech.

Last edited:
Look at the teeth: the profile seems to be slightly different (and on the inside of the base plate of mine there's the whole usual blurb engraved).

Idk ... I think it's because of the angle of the picture, but still they look the same. Like the one I have, all 3 are the same:

$CAM01188.jpg

$CAM01588.jpg

Top Bottom