What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

I have a Merkur 1904 OC. I'm such a noob. :001_tt2:

I started with a 34 HD myself, my gillette old type is my favourite DE razor now, it starts with one... it usually does not end there though, non gillette like the ones in this thread can often give great shaves and without the big name can be had at great prices as well... not all mind you... but lots

Thanks ! Here is another one :

Marked "ERKA Reg. Pat." under the head, very lightweight, cute box (the inside of the lid is a mirror). I haven't found anything on the brand, but found a twin razor marked "Fabrication Suisse" ( = Swiss Made) on a French forum :

$img_0016.jpg $img_0020.jpg $img_0019.jpg

$img_0017.jpg $img_0018.jpg

I am really enjoying the pictures of these amazing razors here in this thread, thank you everybody!

This one is a very simple one, no letters, no numbers, no brand visible neither on the razor nor on the box. Production quality is not the best (irregular depth of the spaces between the teeth and quite rough cut ends of the head's baseplate and cap). Nonetheless I like its looks, and it provided a DFS.

$173201.jpg

$173202.jpg

$173203.jpg

This is a very mild razor, you could call it idiot proof. However, the top of the baseplate seems to have been modified by a previous owner. I reckon the filing down of the baseplate curvature was done to make the razor less aggressive. Too bad that it obviously is not in its original condition but well, you can't always get what you want.

$173204.jpg

Hi,

Oh, dear. I might catch RAD here. I am an engineer, love oddball designs. I recently acquired a generic Solingen Slant and like it a lot. Now, I see lots of odd designs. Now I will be eyeballing the Bay for low cost oddballs. Not Gillette, indeed. :blink:

Stan

Nice all I have found are Shicks and Gillettes!

Almost as bad as New England. Gillette was HQ'd in Boston & Schick in Milford, CT, ~140 miles apart as the crow flies.

I hunt diligently and find piles of Gillette & Schick. Once in awhile I find a Hoffritz, Star, or unbranded German but not much else.

Hi,

I took a couple shots of the generic Slant head made in Solingen and used by quite a few razor brands. Apparently, one company made heads like this, and quite a few of the German straight razor brands then bought these to sell under their names. This keeps well with the 'Not Gillette' theme.

Anyway, one of the designs of the generic Solingen Slant was such that one side is more aggressive than the other. This can be easily told as the more aggressive side has a coarser scallop on the safety bar. The milder side has a finer scallop. I refer to this as being 'differentially aggressive'. It is sort of like having an adjustable razor with automatic adjustment when you spin the handle to flip it over. :thumbup1:

In use, one goes over a patch with the aggressive side, then flips and goes back over the same patch with the mild side. The aggressive side leaves enough lather to do so without re-lathering. I usually run North/South with the aggressive side then East/West with the mild side.

This works about as well as when I used a Gillette Red Tip or Open Comb for the first pass North/South, then a Tech for the second pass East/West. Now, the Tech only has a few spots to clean up, and I don't really have to use the Tech at all. The mild side on the Slant can easily do that job using a little new lather that was sitting unused on the brush. it is just that I like to still use the old Tech, being as it was my first razor way back in 76. :biggrin1:

Overall, the Solingen Slant is so good a shaver, I am seriously considering cutting my little collection down to the Slant and a few of my family hand-me-down razors.

This is the aggressive side of the Solingen Slant:

$Slant_Agressive.jpg

The mild side:

$Slant_Mild.jpg

The ironic part is such a good shaving razor was made by some company no one recalls the name of any longer.

Stan

Edit: The handle you see is not the original one. It is a Weber stainless. The original handle has badly worn threads and is retired. It was really light, so substituting the stainless handle fixes three issues for me: bigger, heavier, and new threads.

Edit2: Here is a shot with the original handle in place:

$Slant_Orig_Handle.jpg

Last edited:
Wow these are some very nice razors. This thread as been a real good education for me. I did not know that there were so many other brands of Safety Razors. One of the first razors mentioned here was that Schick Krona. I went and bought one off Ebay lol.

Ah appears I got one of the newer models of the Krona. All black handle with a metal ring separating the handle from the knob.

Ooh, nice new additions ! I love the Famex looks, but mine is in really bad shape...

Here come other razors :

My "Liese" DRGM German Slant :

Ile de France Bakelite (or plastic ?) slant :

Neo-Gam German "Slant" (the head is tilted, but the blade is not curved like other regular slants) :

Jarville OC T-bar razor :

Vitès OC T-bar razor :

Both are very similar to a Single Ring, but their different inscriptions and boxes make them nice ! Now this one is more like a Bostonian, but it is French made as well :

Gardette OC T-bar razor :

Now two razors unmarked, but their boxes are nice :

Nikolet OC 3 piece razor :

Jicété OC 3 piece razor (I believe it to be silver plated) :

And I am waiting for some other beauties to be delivered, so "to be continued" !

Whoa buddy you have a major RAD lol

Well done

Haha, thanks. Well I have the luck of living in France, so such models are easier to "stumble upon".

By the way I can't believe noone has shown his "Bohin" here yet ! Ican post a picture of mine, but it has lost quite some plating...

Top Bottom